F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9/10 HU theming and discussion
proTUNING Freaks

02-22-2023, 04:51 AM   #1145
Il_Simo
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Hello, I bought this XTRONS 10.25"
android

It seems works fine but I hame some problem wit navi gps.
I installed HERE and downloaded maps for offline use but I don't have any audio.

Please help me to fix this issue.
But I have some issues:
I installed Here maps, Maps.me, Sygic, but I haven't any vocal indications, just google maps specks throught a small speacker

Do you know if I can personalized right side (android) of the screen???

thanks a lot
Attached Images

Last edited by Il_Simo; 02-22-2023 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 06:05 AM   #1146
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Simo View Post
Do you know if I can personalized right side (android) of the screen???
You cannot personalise this screen. It's governed by the MCU and we cannot modify it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 06:47 AM   #1147
Il_Simo
Rep

any suggestions about Here or sygic doesn't speak??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 08:47 AM   #1148
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Simo View Post
any suggestions about Here or sygic doesn't speak??
No, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 11:29 AM   #1149
FrederikD
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Boot animations and splash images

Universal boot animations along with splash images for 1280x480 and 1920x720 units.

Boot logos:
Android 9 and 10 use splash.img and the tool is linked in the first post.
Android 11 uses imagefv.elf unfortunately due to the nature of these files we do not have the tool to create them.
Android 12 uses imagefv.bmp and everyone can make it using widely available tools.

How to install on SD425/450/625/662/665:
1. Create OEM folder in the root directory of your SD card/USB stick
2. Copy both bootanimation.zip and boot logo (splash.img, imagefv.elf or imagefv.bmp) to the OEM folder
3. Plug in to your Android unit
4. Wait for confirmation of successful installation
5. Reboot and enjoy

How to remove boot animation from SD425/450/625/662/665 unit:
1. Create OEM folder in the root directory of your SD card/USB stick
2. Create an empty bootanimation_clear.zip file and move it to the OEM folder
3. Plug in to your Android unit and wait

Thanks to VincentZ4 for providing installation instructions for PX6 units and 3bl for providing additional steps in case you encounter any isses.

How to install on PX6:

Splash image / Boot logo
- Create 1280x480 image
- Save image as logo.bmp
- Create OEM folder on your USB drive
- Copy logo.bmp to the OEM folder
- Turn the device off
- Wait 15 sec
- Plug the USB in
- Let the system start
- Reboot

Bootanimation.zip
On PX6, you will need to run ADB on your PC/laptopt
There are 4 steps to follow:

STEP 1: create bootanimation.zip
bootanimation.zip is a set of files as described here: https://android.googlesource.com/pla...tion/FORMAT.md

One thing to know, in the desc.txt, the last txt line is empty :
-- beginning of file --
1280 480 25
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1

-- end of file --

Step 2: enable ADB WiFi
- connect the HU and computer to the same WiFi network
- go to Developer Settings: -> enable USB debug.
- install Terminal Emulator on your HU
- run HU Terminal Emulator and enter following commands:

Code:
setprop persist.adb.tcp.port 5555
setprop sys.rkadb.root 1
reboot
After the reboot launch Terminal Emulator on your HU and enter:

Code:
ifconfig wlan0
this will show the current IP address of the HU

Then continue on your PC:

Code:
adb connect xxx.xxx.x.x:5555
(IP address from the previous step)
Code:
adb root
adb disable-verity
adb reboot
After reboot check the IP address again (just to be sure)

Code:
adb connect xxx.xxx.x.x:5555
(IP address from the previous step)
Code:
adb root
adb remount
Put the bootanimation.zip in the root of your USB.
Move USB stick to your Android unit

Code:
adb shell cp /storage/usb_storage/bootanimation.zip /system/media
adb shell cp /storage/usb_storage/bootanimation.zip /data/local
adb shell chmod 644 /system/media/bootanimation.zip
adb shell chmod 644 /data/local/bootanimation.zip
adb shell chmod 755 /system/media
adb reboot
If you get "Read-only" message when you try to copy, that means something wasn't done correctly in one of the previous steps.
You may need to reconnect after each "adb root" command.
You should see the animation now !

NBT boot animation - demo video

NBT EVO boot animation - demo video

NBT M boot animation - demo video

Universal 1 boot animation - demo video
Splash image thanks to mbonus

Universal 2 boot animation - demo video

Ask me for custom made boot animation with your exact car and welcome text - see my work on YouTube
Hi, my name is Frederik from belgium. I have a BMW 3 F31 with android 10.25 PX6.

I wanted to have a moving animation so I downloaded it from this link. (NBT boot animation)
Splash file + the zip file under and made an OEM folder on the USB.
I inserted the USB in the android and did nothing for the rest.
Now I get a fuzzy screen when I am in the original part of the screen. Android still seem to work completely.
I tried a factory reset in the android menu but this did not work.
How to solve this please? What could be the problem?
Did my main connection with the original menu crash?
Need to fix asap because I need to sell the car..

Screen error when in original menu:

Last edited by FrederikD; 03-02-2023 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:05 AM   #1150
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikD View Post
Hi, my name is Frederik from belgium. I have a BMW 3 F31 with android 10.25 PX6.
Hi
Quote:
I wanted to have a moving animation so I downloaded it from this link. (NBT boot animation)
Splash file + the zip file under and made an OEM folder on the USB.
I inserted the USB in the android and did nothing for the rest.
It's because you didn't actually read the post. What you were trying to do was to install animation and splash using method that works only on Snapdragon devices. Yours isn't as you said yourself it's a PX6. So in effect you did nothing. You just plugged in a USB drive with some files on it - could've been any files at that point, makes no difference.
Quote:
Now I get a fuzzy screen when I am in the original part of the screen. Android still seem to work completely.
I tried a factory reset in the android menu but this did not work.
How to solve this please? What could be the problem?
Did my main connection with the original menu crash?
Need to fix asap because I need to sell the car..
What you did is completely unrelated to your issue. It's either incorrect OEM screen setting, wiring issue or corrupted MCU.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 11:08 AM   #1151
Basti600
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A-Class

Quote:
For those who want to get rid off the "Phone is starting..." message after each boot, here is the tool do that. This is system overlay and works exactly the same as KswOverlay theming.

As before you will need a laptop that is connected over WiFi to your HU and follow instructions on the screen.
What exactly does the tool do?

Is the info not displayed and the screen remains black? Do I have to set an image instead? Is this completely disappeared and am I already in the user menu at the time of the actual info display?

Where can I find detailed installation instructions? Couldn't find anything about how to do this with the laptop

Best regards & thank you very much for your patience.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 12:08 PM   #1152
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti600 View Post
What exactly does the tool do?

Is the info not displayed and the screen remains black? Do I have to set an image instead? Is this completely disappeared and am I already in the user menu at the time of the actual info display?

Where can I find detailed installation instructions? Couldn't find anything about how to do this with the laptop

Best regards & thank you very much for your patience.
It replaces the "Phone is starting..." text with a blank text, that's all it does.

How did you manage to miss the guide on how to install it? It's in the first post here, both as a link (KswOverlay) under Tools and as a few point writeup under TL;DR.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 04:20 PM   #1153
Robert AMG
Rep
Drives: Cls63

does anyone with A10 v3.9.4 successfully delete the phone is starting message? cause mine don't want to be deleted and the androidoverlay pushed the file with no errors, on my older version it went good.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:22 AM   #1154
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert AMG View Post
does anyone with A10 v3.9.4 successfully delete the phone is starting message? cause mine don't want to be deleted and the androidoverlay pushed the file with no errors, on my older version it went good.
I will have to check to see if there were any changes made with 3.9.4 that would affect that. I will get back to you on that.

EDIT: both versions have identical frameworks, so I can't see any reason why my overlay wouldn't work.

Last edited by RedErik; 03-07-2023 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:00 AM   #1155
Mike8040
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 & E61

Hello there,

awesome thread even though I might not get much out of it since I was reading my device with the 8259L is not supported customizing the themes. It has the ID7 theme installed stock so I thought it could work. Yesterday I got a new firmware by Xonrich for the device.
Can somebody tell if the ID7 theme customization may work with my newer firmware?

Also what is strange is that even the flowUX synesthesia launcher and the Drive Controller app are shown as incompatible with my device. I can install all other know launchers but those two that interest me and I would pay for it won't allow me to install.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:29 AM   #1156
Robert AMG
Rep
Drives: Cls63

Quote:
I will have to check to see if there were any changes made with 3.9.4 that would affect that. I will get back to you on that.

EDIT: both versions have identical frameworks, so I can't see any reason why my overlay wouldn't work.
Thanks for your reply, what should i check now?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 07:58 AM   #1157
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8040 View Post
Hello there,

awesome thread even though I might not get much out of it since I was reading my device with the 8259L is not supported customizing the themes. It has the ID7 theme installed stock so I thought it could work. Yesterday I got a new firmware by Xonrich for the device.
Can somebody tell if the ID7 theme customization may work with my newer firmware?

Also what is strange is that even the flowUX synesthesia launcher and the Drive Controller app are shown as incompatible with my device. I can install all other know launchers but those two that interest me and I would pay for it won't allow me to install.
Themes available here are not universal. They are only compatible with Snapdragon units running KSW firmware. This means that if a theme was made for app X you cannot install it for app Y and hope it will work. Your MTK unit has a completely different launcher than Snapdragon units. And before you ask, no, you cannot change to KSW firmware as each vendor makes their firmware specific to the hardware it is running on.

As for the FlowUX, I cannot comment on that - it's not my app. What I can comment on however is the Drive Keyboard which is mine. It has been tested with 8259L devices and it's running just fine on them. What version of Android are you running on that unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:00 AM   #1158
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert AMG View Post
Thanks for your reply, what should i check now?
To sure to be honest. System logs? I don't have device that is capable of running 3.9.4 so I cannot test it myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #1159
Mike8040
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Themes available here are not universal. They are only compatible with Snapdragon units running KSW firmware. This means that if a theme was made for app X you cannot install it for app Y and hope it will work. Your MTK unit has a completely different launcher than Snapdragon units. And before you ask, no, you cannot change to KSW firmware as each vendor makes their firmware specific to the hardware it is running on.

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware that the firmware is a big deal for compatibility on those devices. It was just a hope that the new firmware may be compatible since my unit uses the same ID7 skin stock.

Quote:
As for the FlowUX, I cannot comment on that - it's not my app. What I can comment on however is the Drive Keyboard which is mine. It has been tested with 8259L devices and it's running just fine on them. What version of Android are you running on that unit?
Yes already wrote you an email since I would like to buy the Drive keyboard app but I can not through Playstore restrictions saying it is not comaptible. Even my new Realme 9 Pro+ is not compatible. I thought since my Android TV box is eligible to download it, to download the apk from my Android box once it is installed and sideload on my HU.
The HU was sold as Android 11. The Android settings say it is 10. So it must be 9 then
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #1160
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes already wrote you an email since I would like to buy the Drive keyboard app but I can not through Playstore restrictions saying it is not comaptible. Even my new Realme 9 Pro+ is not compatible. I thought since my Android TV box is eligible to download it, to download the apk from my Android box once it is installed and sideload on my HU.
The HU was sold as Android 11. The Android settings say it is 10. So it must be 9 then
I didn't get any email from you, well I don't think I did anyways.
What you're proposing to do will not work. If you download my app on your TV, extract the apk and try to sideload it on your headunit, the license verification will fail.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:49 PM   #1161
Mike8040
Registered
Rep

You are correct. The email was stuck in the outbox. Issues with Emclient...
Anyway. If I buy the app with my main Gmail account I should have the license for my account (in other words I use the same Google account on all devices) or is it bind to the device? How else can I download it? You already confirmed the 8259L is working with the app so it must be some Playstore bullshit then.

Last edited by Mike8040; 03-07-2023 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:57 PM   #1162
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
You are correct. The email was stuck in the outbox. Issues with Emclient...
Anyway. If I buy the app with my main Gmail account I should have the license for my account (in other words I use the same Google account on all devices) or is it bind to the device? How else can I download it? You already confirmed the 8259L is working with the app so it must be some Playstore bullshit then.
Well I cannot reveal how it works behind the scenes - that my license verification mechanism. But I can tell you this much: you cannot sideload the app, it has to be installed through the Play Store.

I have just checked and there are no restrictions on any device in Google's catalogue. My only requirement is a big screen (tablet size) and API level 27 (Android 8.1) and higher.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 02:58 PM   #1163
Mike8040
Registered
Rep

Yeah, well than we are out of luck I guess. There is no country restriction I guess otherwise I would not see/find it in the store. The weirdest things of all of it, is the Android TV box is the oldest device with Android 8 and the other two Android devices I own that are not "compatible" are Android 10 and 13.
Does the Android DPI setting play a role for the requirement check? I switched it to 440p for the 8259 head unit.
Can I not just send you the 4 bucks and you send me the app? Guess I do not get auto updates then?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:02 PM   #1164
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, well than we are out of luck I guess. There is no country restriction I guess otherwise I would not see/find it in the store. The weirdest things of all of it, is the Android TV box is the oldest device with Android 8 and the other two Android devices I own that are not "compatible" are Android 10 and 13.
Does the Android DPI setting play a role for the requirement check? I switched it to 440p for the 8259 head unit.
Can I not just send you the 4 bucks and you send me the app? Guess I do not get auto updates then?
Just got your email.
The DPI setting does play a role, so possibly that's the issue here. If I disabled that requirement, the app will suddenly become compatible with all mobile phones, which clearly isn't, but people would still install it. The UI wasn't designed to scale to mobile phones and you cannot navigate the keyboard without the iDrvie knob. It would crash on every phone flooding my Play Console and Firebase crash reports. Some might even leave low star rating and negative feedback because of that. I have to think what to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 02:03 AM   #1165
Il_Simo
Rep

has anyone some template to create a idrive 8 theme?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:38 AM   #1166
rodriguezstyle
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91

Last edited by rodriguezstyle; 03-10-2023 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: attachment
Appreciate 0