F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 Daily in traffic jam
GetBMWParts

03-11-2024, 06:06 AM   #1
james4321
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 335i+

N55 Daily in traffic jam

Guys,
How many of you driving your N55 daily in huge traffic jam?
I mean, most of the time, my car is sitting in quite busy city center. Drive daily 15miles in 1h-1.5h. The good thing is, that I always switch to Sport+. But anyway, most of the time car is standing more than driving in Sport mode.
I was wondering if we need to give him a wot once at a time?
Yesterday I went to get some highway drive for fun. And first WOT was quite ‚lazy’. I had a feeling that she is slow, but second and third were normal. After that I found exhaust tips covered with black soot.
Any advices?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 03:24 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Why would you drive in sport+ in stop and go traffic?

There are adaptations that are learned based on recent driving, what you could be feeling is adaptations. They are naturally relearned as you drive.
Appreciate 3
n55david1295.50
rlesko232.50
      03-12-2024, 02:57 PM   #3
Slumped335
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Comfort in stop and go traffic for sure. Better gas mileage and your not beating on your car unnecessarily. Sport mode for when you know you have big openings or are on the highway.

Jeremy is right though, the car learned ur behavior so it’s gonna be a bit lazy till relearn your habits.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:25 PM   #4
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
If your car is feeling a bit sluggish you can reset the transmission adaptations, search around and you can find the procedure. But yea, as others have mentioned, why would you be in sport or sport+ mode while sitting in traffic?
      03-12-2024, 05:45 PM   #5
thatgarrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [8.60]
I find that comfort is just fine in traffic jams, seems like there is a power train setting where it recognizes the traffic condition as stop and go and doesn’t shift as soon, I find often times I can do one pedal driving in stop and go traffic situations and the starting and stopping is rather smooth. If it’s a situation where people are cutting everyone off and driving aggressively I’ll use the sport setting to help keep the gap tight in front of me but that is usually not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:22 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
If your car is feeling a bit sluggish you can reset the transmission adaptations, search around and you can find the procedure. But yea, as others have mentioned, why would you be in sport or sport+ mode while sitting in traffic?
Transmission? Not the adaptations the transmission learns based on internal wear.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:53 PM   #7
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Transmission? Not the adaptations the transmission learns based on internal wear.
This worked for me when I tried it - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1182679
      03-12-2024, 10:10 PM   #8
E90lova
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumped335 View Post
Comfort in stop and go traffic for sure. Better gas mileage and your not beating on your car unnecessarily. Sport mode for when you know you have big openings or are on the highway.

Jeremy is right though, the car learned ur behavior so it’s gonna be a bit lazy till relearn your habits.
ECO mode or me in stop and go traffic. Oh and Say hello to carbon buildup city if you drive this car in traffic too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 02:06 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
This worked for me when I tried it - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1182679
I didnt read that whole thread but based on a quick look the throttle pedal one isnt transmission adaptations, its throttle adaptations. There are numerous adaptations you can reset through something like MHD - throttle, fuel trims, etc - that are OK to reset because they are just relearned anyways.

However resetting the actual adaptations of the transmission (as you would read through XHP for example), should not be reset unless you actually perform a physical repair on the transmission as they are learned over time based on wear. Resetting these can be dangerous.

Just making sure its clear.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 02:42 PM   #10
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I didnt read that whole thread but based on a quick look the throttle pedal one isnt transmission adaptations, its throttle adaptations. There are numerous adaptations you can reset through something like MHD - throttle, fuel trims, etc - that are OK to reset because they are just relearned anyways.

However resetting the actual adaptations of the transmission (as you would read through XHP for example), should not be reset unless you actually perform a physical repair on the transmission as they are learned over time based on wear. Resetting these can be dangerous.

Just making sure its clear.
Oh ok. The way the car drove after the changes was more smooth shifting and a more linear throttle response, so maybe it was throttle. But in any case, if your car is feeling sluggish I would perform whatever that procedure is.
F30Dom0.00
      03-14-2024, 12:28 AM   #11
james4321
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Yeah, so I try to drive, most of the time, in Sport+ to avoid low rpm and carbon buildup. This car almost never run till redline - I’d say two maybe three times a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:02 PM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4321 View Post
Yeah, so I try to drive, most of the time, in Sport+ to avoid low rpm and carbon buildup. This car almost never run till redline - I’d say two maybe three times a year.
Carbon buildup where? And who said that sport+ will prevent that?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:57 PM   #13
james4321
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Carbon buildup where? And who said that sport+ will prevent that?
Intake valves.
Sport+, because I try to go 5k+ as often as I can to avoid carbon build up.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 04:54 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Intake valves.
Sport+, because I try to go 5k+ as often as I can to avoid carbon build up.
1. We dont really have that problem on N55s

2. Going high RPM isnt really going to prevent that since we have a DI engine... If anything you are producing more blowby when you drive in sport+ since you are going to be underboost more. Seems completely counterproductive lol
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:14 AM   #15
james4321
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
1. We dont really have that problem on N55s

2. Going high RPM isnt really going to prevent that since we have a DI engine... If anything you are producing more blowby when you drive in sport+ since you are going to be underboost more. Seems completely counterproductive lol
1. Even if you idle your car a lot?
2. I was wrong then. As E90lova says ‚say hello to carbon buildup’ I was a little confused.
But anyway, thanks for your help.
So It’s better to stick to Comfort mode when sitting in traffic jam. Do not rev the engine to much. Something else’s I should follow? I’ll try to take her every week or two to give her a wot.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:00 AM   #16
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

The carbon buildup is usually from oil from the CCV. The oil from the CCV is typically from crankcase pressure, assuming you have no other issues. Idling shouldnt cause crankcase pressure. If you are really worried about it you could consider a catch can.
2. I still dont understand the logic of city driving having any effect. TBH sport or comfort probably makes little differences, the car is made to be driven in the city. But sport is killing your fuel economy im sure and possibly making it worse
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:16 PM   #17
Slumped335
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
1. Even if you idle your car a lot?
2. I was wrong then. As E90lova says ‚say hello to carbon buildup’ I was a little confused.
But anyway, thanks for your help.
So It’s better to stick to Comfort mode when sitting in traffic jam. Do not rev the engine to much. Something else’s I should follow? I’ll try to take her every week or two to give her a wot.
To put it simply I recommend comfort mode for city driving.
-Better Fuel Economy
-Not Beating on the engine unnecessarily
-Better for throttle/trans adaptations

Overall however when you get the chance you should put it in Sport+ and really drive the car when you have open road (Highways, Long Stretch Roads, etc.) That's mainly so you can let the fuel injectors work fully, Oil cycled and well up to temp, etc. (seems like you under stand this part though so you're good)

But Daily driving in city traffic while in Sport+ isn't great. Enjoy the car though. At the end of the day its your car, do whatever you feel more comfortable doing.
Appreciate 0