E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Aluminum oil filter housing cap

04-13-2024, 08:54 PM   #45
chuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07’ 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I hope you are going back to the OE oil filter housing cap.
Yep oem the best I can go correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 09:14 PM   #46
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuc View Post
Genuine BMW > OE > OEM > Amazon generic
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17322.50
      04-13-2024, 09:30 PM   #47
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
I hope you are going back to the OE oil filter housing cap.
Got "Nut Extraction" (Castration ;-) down "pat" -- WHY change?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17322.50
      04-14-2024, 07:37 AM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Yes. $39. P/N: 11-42-7-525-334

And get their cap wrench while your at it... It's a nice tool.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 07:40 AM   #49
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Got "Nut Extraction" (Castration ;-) down "pat" -- WHY change?
I still can't understand how the nut on that aluminum cap got so mangled when a bolt extractor with a breaker bar removed the cap. I thought for sure the cap was cross-threaded in place.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:35 PM   #50
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Didnt think it work but one crank n it came off
Quote:
I still can't understand how the nut on that aluminum cap got so mangled when a bolt extractor with a breaker bar removed the cap. I thought for sure the cap was cross-threaded in place.
My Theory: In this "Mis-Information Age", you can't "Rationalize the Irrational". Either You & I live in a world that has different "Rules of Physics" from those expressed by "Others" in this thread, or we NEVER got the "Truth" (whole Truth & Nothing BUT the Truth ;-)

"Reading Between the Lines" in the first quote above: Once the contact between the cap & housing was broken ("one crank") the threads turned freely, as designed. No thread damage reported. If that is the case, I can only think of ONE explanation.

HINT: Nut Extractor ONLY "Bites" when turning Counter-Clockwise, viewed from top.

We ALL make mistakes. The FASTER we go, the MORE likely we are to make mistakes. The MAJORITY (or nearly so) of issues reported on the Forums arose due to "operator error", either "current" or "PRIOR" operator.

IF you ever "Solve the Puzzle" (Human Condition), let me know.
Here endeth the Sermon.
George
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17322.50
      04-14-2024, 02:41 PM   #51
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My Theory: In this "Mis-Information Age", you can't "Rationalize the Irrational". Either You & I live in a world that has different "Rules of Physics" from those expressed by "Others" in this thread, or we NEVER got the "Truth" (whole Truth & Nothing BUT the Truth ;-)

"Reading Between the Lines" in the first quote above: Once the contact between the cap & housing was broken ("one crank") the threads turned freely, as designed. No thread damage reported. If that is the case, I can only think of ONE explanation.

HINT: Nut Extractor ONLY "Bites" when turning Counter-Clockwise, viewed from top.

We ALL make mistakes. The FASTER we go, the MORE likely we are to make mistakes. The MAJORITY (or nearly so) of issues reported on the Forums arose due to "operator error", either "current" or "PRIOR" operator.

Here endeth the Sermon.
George
So a case of a righty - loosey ...

That would explain it.

I always liked "clockwise" and "anti-clockwise". But in this age of digital...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 02:45 PM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here endeth the Sermon.
George
You know, looking closely at the forensics, there does seem to be evidence of the nut flats being mangled in the clockwise direction... hummm.

Perhaps the "25 NM arrow" threw the young chap off with regards to direction of tool operation.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2024, 03:37 PM   #53
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So a case of a righty - loosey ... I always liked "clockwise" and "anti-clockwise". But in this age of digital...
"Mo-Righty, Mo-Tighty"! 'Til the Aluminum rounds off!
Haven't seen "Anti-clockwise" (with Bonnet, Boot, Spanner, etc.) since days on Jag Forums.
That was the "Near Side"; This is becoming the "Far Side"

Rant:
I think the "Digital Age" has pushed MOST folks "over the edge", to where Most are now "Faking it", & don't really understand ANYTHING.

What do you "do with yourself" now that you don't commute three hours per day? Or did you cut that 170 mile round-trip to TWO (2) hours per day, thereby establishing "close personal relationship" with local Troopers & Sheriffs?
George
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17322.50