BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

Griot's 3" Polisher to Apply Glaze/Wax

Alright so I've been on this detailing kick that's destroying my mod budget and have bought some products that I thought would be great but then regretted after they didn't work as well as I thought it would.

Case in point, I ordered the Griot's 3" Polisher from Phil@DetailersDomain and liked that it matched the pads I was using for my Rupes 21 (just go ahead and buy the 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads; for the M the 6.5" pads are too big). However, my technique isn't up to par to actually utilize the lower powered Griot's 3".

Man, I was pretty upset that I "wasted" $100 on this polisher. But I did some research on Autogeek and someone mentioned that they love this polisher for applying glazes/waxes so I picked up a couple Adam's Focus 4" Machine Super Sealant and Wax Pads. For this pad, I had to use the stock backing plate as the extended backing plate Phil includes is too big.

Last week I applied Chemical Guy's Blacklight to my Tundra using a microfiber applicator and it took forever and used up more product than I hoped for. Last night, I hooked up the Griot's 3" with the 4" Adams pad and this thing is awesome. I applied three strips of Blacklight to the pad and was able to cover an entire panel without reapplying product. The best part is the process is so fast and effortless. Since the product is more evenly distributed, you no longer have high spots and the product dries much quicker.

Attached is a quick photo. So if you're like me and want to speed up the process of applying glazes/sealants/waxes, I highly recommend picking up a Griot's 3" polisher. Once I get better, I'll be able to polish the smaller sections of the car using this polisher but for now I will never apply glazes/wax without it.
Attached Images

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Haha I went on the same detailing kick a year ago, but I hate detailing so it's ridiculous.

I use the Meguiar's DA to apply Menzerna sealant and went through a lot more product than I wanted as well. Will definitely keep this in mind!

End result. Not perfect, I'd say I got 80% of the swirls and scratches out, but that's good enough for me right now.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

I also use my GG3 solely for wax application.
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Detailing is definitely a PITA. I corrected the M's paint the other week and it took me at least 30 hours between washing/claying/compounding/polishing/opti-coating.

The truck is my current project but unfortunately it's too big to fit in my garage so I'm just correcting one panel at a time.

Your M is looking good! 80% is pretty good especially if its a DD. Which part of SC are you at? I'm moving to Augusta, GA next month.

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
I also use my GG3 solely for wax application.
What kind of pad/wax are you using? So far I have only tried it with the Adams 4" black pad and CG Blacklight.

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by budski View Post
What kind of pad/wax are you using? So far I have only tried it with the Adams 4" black pad and CG Blacklight.
I use it with 3" Lake Country Hydro-tech crimson pads. I want the pad as small as possible. Yeah it takes longer to cover the entire vehicle but I waste less product that gets absorbed into the pad. In addition, I can fit that pad into a lot of paste wax cans.

Have you tried using this with a paste wax?
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I use it with 3" Lake Country Hydro-tech crimson pads. I want the pad as small as possible. Yeah it takes longer to cover the entire vehicle but I waste less product that gets absorbed into the pad. In addition, I can fit that pad into a lot of paste wax cans.

Have you tried using this with a paste wax?
I hand applied Pete's 53 paste wax but haven't tried it with the machine since it says to only hand apply it . I might put an order in for that pad as the Pete's 53 won't slide out of the can so I can rub it against the pad.

Have you tried machine buffing the wax off? I saw where you can get a lambs wool pad with MF bonnets to quickly get the dried wax off.

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I hand applied Pete's 53 paste wax but haven't tried it with the machine since it says to only hand apply it . I might put an order in for that pad as the Pete's 53 won't slide out of the can so I can rub it against the pad.

Have you tried machine buffing the wax off? I saw where you can get a lambs wool pad with MF bonnets to quickly get the dried wax off.
I haven't tried removing wax by machine. I enjoy removing it by hand using a MF towel. Applying wax is a pain though and I try to use the machine whenever I can.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Detailing is definitely a PITA. I corrected the M's paint the other week and it took me at least 30 hours between washing/claying/compounding/polishing/opti-coating.

The truck is my current project but unfortunately it's too big to fit in my garage so I'm just correcting one panel at a time.

Your M is looking good! 80% is pretty good especially if its a DD. Which part of SC are you at? I'm moving to Augusta, GA next month.
30 hours???! Oh hell no, definitely don't have patience for that. I'd say about 12-15 hours, can't really remember. I didn't touch the interior though, that's on my to do list. My trusty 08 has 75k miles on her, so IMHO there's no need for a concourse style detail as I drive the car pretty often (not my DD though). Was just happy to remove this kind of crap (no idea how where this came from):

I live in Greer/Greenville SC. There's a whole bunch of us that meet up and go for drives up in NC. I think another member and I are planning to do a track day at CMP in Dec if you wanted to join. Would love to see a supercharged M3 around.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I haven't tried removing wax by machine. I enjoy removing it by hand using a MF towel. Applying wax is a pain though and I try to use the machine whenever I can.
Any reason you don't use sealant? The Menzerna portion of my detail is by far the easiest part of the process. It takes almost no pressure to remove it with an MF towel
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Any reason you don't use sealant? The Menzerna portion of my detail is by far the easiest part of the process. It takes almost no pressure to remove it with an MF towel
I use sealants with it too.
Appreciate 0