F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Thinking about getting BM3 Flex Fuel Kit, have some questions
ARMA SPEED

01-23-2024, 11:41 AM   #45
matteo
Rep
Drives: '17 440i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lens View Post
I would get an aftermarket clutch that can handle the torque.

It really doesn't make sense to run a higher power map, and limit yourself.
I did upgrade to a 550i/335is clutch.

I don't want to get anything super crazy aftermarket as this is my daily and I love the OEM feel of the 550i clutch.

If I can't run anything higher than Stage 2, then so be it... I'm just looking at options.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 01:26 PM   #46
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
It literally says in the thread you linked "It's a global limitor in torque/load. So it will do it across the RPM range." so IDK what you're reading man
I think the main logic is that you can limit torque down low without sacrificing too much HP (which is RPM dependent). So, you may give up a lot of torque in the lower RPM (which is the worst for your clutch anyways), but you can do that without sacrificing a lot of peak/higher RPM hp numbers. I would say this is somewhat more viable for stock turbo where boost is going to naturally tend to fall a bit in the upper RPM anyways, so the amount you are actually reducing torque with the limiter is lower in the higher RPM, and you are making HP with RPM as opposed to high TQ.
Appreciate 1
matteo47.00
      04-03-2024, 12:32 PM   #47
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Garage List
I am leaning towards this upgrade for my 2015 435. Sounds like it is a good upgrade.
I have the following:
Upgraded intercooler
Catted downpipe
BM3 maps

What are your thoughts on this as my next step?
Also, where can I get a decent price on this?
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 12:39 PM   #48
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVY435IGC View Post
I am leaning towards this upgrade for my 2015 435. Sounds like it is a good upgrade.
I have the following:
Upgraded intercooler
Catted downpipe
BM3 maps

Thank you!
Stock fuel system? HPFP/LPFP?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 04:43 PM   #49
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Stock fuel system? HPFP/LPFP?
Yes, stock
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 06:40 PM   #50
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, stock
No point in flex fuel IMO, you're capped at about E30 if you are running the OTS stage 2 BM3 or stage 2+ MHD maps. It will only gives you flexibility between E10 (pump gas) and E30 if you are on those maps.

If you were running lower boost maps and if BM3 offers full flex up to E85 (not sure if they do like MHD) then maybe, but still seems not very useful on stock fuel system. Just depends what you are trying to get out of it when you are limited by stock fuel system?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:14 PM   #51
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I have the following:
Upgraded intercooler
Catted downpipe
BM3 maps

Thank you!
So is your car completely stock right now and you are putting together a mod plan? Do you have an upgraded charge pipe yet? What’s your mileage? How long have you had it? Have you done maintenance? RWD or XDrive?

You are in Texas so emission requirements are weak, and you should have both 93 and E85 available. Also you need to make decisions based on the very hot climate.

My advice will vary based on your answers. Do you want to stick with just 93 or do you want to run ethanol?

But the hot climate choices are pretty straightforward and labor overlaps so it makes sense to do them all at the same time. List below.

FTP Charge Pipe/boost pipe kit
MAD Race Intercooler
Mosselman Oil Thermostat
Serpentine belt & tensioner kit
Kies Motorsports Seal Guard

With the above, and a catted free flow downpipe you can run Bootmod3 Stage2.

Mike at Extreme Powerhouse is an excellent source. He can give you advice on reasonably priced good quality downpipes that prevent the gasoline smell of Catless.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:59 PM   #52
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No point in flex fuel IMO, you're capped at about E30 if you are running the OTS stage 2 BM3 or stage 2+ MHD maps. It will only gives you flexibility between E10 (pump gas) and E30 if you are on those maps.

If you were running lower boost maps and if BM3 offers full flex up to E85 (not sure if they do like MHD) then maybe, but still seems not very useful on stock fuel system. Just depends what you are trying to get out of it when you are limited by stock fuel system?
Just want to get more out of the car. I was told going to flex fuel up to E30 would be a good next step without upgrading the fuel system. Is that wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 08:02 PM   #53
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
So is your car completely stock right now and you are putting together a mod plan? Do you have an upgraded charge pipe yet? What’s your mileage? How long have you had it? Have you done maintenance? RWD or XDrive?

You are in Texas so emission requirements are weak, and you should have both 93 and E85 available. Also you need to make decisions based on the very hot climate.

My advice will vary based on your answers. Do you want to stick with just 93 or do you want to run ethanol?

But the hot climate choices are pretty straightforward and labor overlaps so it makes sense to do them all at the same time. List below.

FTP Charge Pipe/boost pipe kit
MAD Race Intercooler
Mosselman Oil Thermostat
Serpentine belt & tensioner kit
Kies Motorsports Seal Guard

With the above, and a catted free flow downpipe you can run Bootmod3 Stage2.

Mike at Extreme Powerhouse is an excellent source. He can give you advice on reasonably priced good quality downpipes that prevent the gasoline smell of Catless.

Hope this helps!
Sorry I already have
Upgraded cp
Catted downpipe
Upgraded intercooler
Maps for BM3

Car is an xdrive and has 90k.
S the flex fuel the next logical step to Upgrade for more power?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 08:11 PM   #54
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just want to get more out of the car. I was told going to flex fuel up to E30 would be a good next step without upgrading the fuel system. Is that wrong ?
It is correct that E30 is the next step for more power on stock fuel system. But flex fuel isnt necessary to do that. You just mix E30 in the tank and flash the E30 map. The only thing flex fuel is going to get you is the ability to not mix accurately and run between E10 and E30... but you wont get any more power by adding the flex fuel kit if you are just going to run the E30 stage 2 OTS map.

So in other words, flex fuel kit itself doesnt add power, and it isnt required to run E30. It just allows you flexibility to run an imprecise E30 mix and have the tune adjust for it.

I just posted about how i mix E30 on stock fuel system here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post31037354

If you want to see how much of a difference going from say 91 map to E30 map can make, look at my thread here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1710794
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2024, 09:57 PM   #55
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is correct that E30 is the next step for more power on stock fuel system. But flex fuel isnt necessary to do that. You just mix E30 in the tank and flash the E30 map. The only thing flex fuel is going to get you is the ability to not mix accurately and run between E10 and E30... but you wont get any more power by adding the flex fuel kit if you are just going to run the E30 stage 2 OTS map.

So in other words, flex fuel kit itself doesnt add power, and it isnt required to run E30. It just allows you flexibility to run an imprecise E30 mix and have the tune adjust for it.

I just posted about how i mix E30 on stock fuel system here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post31037354

If you want to see how much of a difference going from say 91 map to E30 map can make, look at my thread here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1710794
Thanks for clearing up my confusion
Wow, that is a lot of good info. Let me go through this!
Appreciate 0