E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rusty Wheels!!

View Poll Results: BMW UK should sort out the rusty wheel hub problem for E9x owners
YES they should! 120 96.77%
No 4 3.23%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

06-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #177
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
Just had a phone call and my dealer has agreed to put right the rust!!!!

Well, well, well - didn't expect that!
Rich,

That's a good result - I assume they're gonna paint them?

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #178
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II View Post
Rich,

That's a good result - I assume they're gonna paint them?
The dealer isn't - they are bringing in someone from outside to do it on Friday. Let's see how they get on.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #179
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

In response to to zinc plate and passivate .I worked for twenty years in a metal fabrication workshop were we carried out lots of rail track projects that included lots of components specified by rail track/siemens that had to be zinc plate and colour passivate

To the best of my knoledge there were very few incidents of rusty components .If i was given a set of discs i am sure i could get them plated and would gladly be a guinea pig to see if it would hold up to salty uk roads .I am also sure you can specify the plating thickness clear pass is exactly as it says clear but you can also spec colour zinc and passivate and that is like a mixture of golds and silver a bit bling but better than rust again imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #180
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
In response to to zinc plate and passivate .I worked for twenty years in a metal fabrication workshop were we carried out lots of rail track projects that included lots of components specified by rail track/siemens that had to be zinc plate and colour passivate

To the best of my knoledge there were very few incidents of rusty components .If i was given a set of discs i am sure i could get them plated and would gladly be a guinea pig to see if it would hold up to salty uk roads .I am also sure you can specify the plating thickness clear pass is exactly as it says clear but you can also spec colour zinc and passivate and that is like a mixture of golds and silver a bit bling but better than rust again imo.
Hi Scooba,

You could, but as I'm sure you know zinc & passivate finishes only offer around 72 hours salt spray resistance, so they wouldn't provide any improvement over the OEM finish. See my post 160.

Most OEM disks these days are supplied with a zinc flake coating such as Geomet, Delta Tone or others. The zinc flake coatings were developed to give an improved corrosion resistant coating compared to electro plated zinc. Zinc flake is applied to the component by a dip and spin method and although it is true that the effectiveness of these finishes have been reduced in recent years by the ELV directives (which restrict the inclusion of certain hazardous substances), zinc flake coatings still offer superior protection to electro and mechanically plated zinc and sheradising.

Having said all of that, if you want an aftermarket DIY fix (that doesn't require removal of the disks), thorough cleaning, followed by application of a rust resistant paint, properly applied by brush, would give a good thick coating that should last reasonably well.

Just my tuppence

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..

Last edited by Mark II; 06-11-2008 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #181
Michael Cassel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon (Sept '07)

Garage List
Went to the dealer yesterday to see if they would correct the rust on the wheel hubs and guess what... they say no, it not covered on the warranty and happens to all cars. I checked the forecourt before leaving and nearly all the cars had the same problem
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #182
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Hubs now rust free - for now at least. The dealer paid an outside company £80 and it took less than 2 hours to complete. As i said before, sales paid.

Push hard guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #183
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
Hubs now rust free - for now at least. The dealer paid an outside company £80 and it took less than 2 hours to complete. As i said before, sales paid.

Push hard guys!
Twenty pounds a hub, hmm. I wonder how long it will last.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #184
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cassel View Post
Went to the dealer yesterday to see if they would correct the rust on the wheel hubs and guess what... they say no, it not covered on the warranty and happens to all cars. I checked the forecourt before leaving and nearly all the cars had the same problem
I was nosing round Chelmsford Cooper's at the w/end and the brand new cars outside had rust too. I mentioned it to a sales guy and he agreed it was crap that a 40K motor has rust that is so visible it lets the entire car down.

I also saw the worst OP ever on a sparkling graphite E92. Sales guy said that they would try and reduce OP before selling a car and that it was being discussed with the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #185
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I was at the dealership this evening and, out of curiosity, looked around at all of the cars in the forecourt for rust. There were many different models and years but none had any rust to the extent that folks on this thread have shown. Mine are absolutely abominable and I might have to deal with them later this month.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #186
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Hi Guys, if you've read my previous threads you may know I've replaced my 2007 E92 for a 2008 E92 (identical spec) but there seems to be something different... I don't remember this on my old one when I picked it up.. but it looks like there's a coating on the parts that went rusty on my old brakes?? could this be that the car is only 1 day old, or have they finally done something about the problems?? Only time will tell I guess.. have a look at the pics and have a think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #187
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLSEN View Post
Hi Guys, if you've read my previous threads you may know I've replaced my 2007 E92 for a 2008 E92 (identical spec) but there seems to be something different... I don't remember this on my old one when I picked it up.. but it looks like there's a coating on the parts that went rusty on my old brakes?? could this be that the car is only 1 day old, or have they finally done something about the problems?? Only time will tell I guess.. have a look at the pics and have a think?
Colsen,thats how mine came back (335) when i picked it up from stealers after being sorted (FOC) it lasts
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #188
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

This is the second E9x that I`ve had, (both used cars), and both have had rusty hubs when collected; one with just over 6k miles on, the other with just over 9k miles.

With my latest, I`ve done exactly what I did with my first one, ie: some silver Hammerite Smooth painted on (after rubbing the hubs down, of course), and it works a treat.

They also look great again, so I`m well-pleased, although I am in full agreement with others who have said that this shouldn`t be needed on a car of this ilk and price tag !!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #189
spandeli
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320D M Sport Auto

My UK Spec E92 had the same problem. It was 8 months old when i imported it used in my country.

The rust was bad, but i thought it was caused from the period it stayed in the port.

Well, it was bad, i have had many cars in the past, and none rusted like this

I took off the wheels, removed the rust with a sand paper, did a primer spray and then i sprayed silver on top.

It looks perfect. No more hassles
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #190
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

I had mine replaced as you might remember under warrenty, but guess what they are going again (quite quickly as well) I am going to pay for someone to come and paint them, has anyone had it done and can you recommend anyone - I don't want to do it myself as I am a busy man.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #191
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Four week old Edition M Sport Touring

Here are my hubs after four weeks ownership from new.....

This is reminiscent of my last Feb 07 touring after a few weeks. This time I have decided to do something about (see next post).

Rust spots appearing rapidly. Worst still is the rear hubs. These are bare metal with no protection. I tried to take the rear wheels off my old touring and they were seized after a few months. Couldn't believe how bad these were after four weeks. If I hadn't done anything about them they would surely have seized the wheel on again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #192
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Four week old Edition M Sport Touring

After some sanding and two coats of Hammerite smooth here are the results. Not sure how long the Hameerite will hold up but must surely look better for longer than doing nothing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #193
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Do you know whether your car was 'sitting' at Thorne for any length of time before your dealer got it and subsequently yourself?

Bloody disgrace though!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #194
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Do you know whether your car was 'sitting' at Thorne for any length of time before your dealer got it and subsequently yourself?

Bloody disgrace though!
Shouldn't have sat around at all. Official order confirmation early June, late June build, at the dealers early July and then delivered to me 1st August.

I'd have thought there was no 'sitting' time involved in that time frame.

I agree a its a disgrace. But I'd rather do the job myself than let the car go in to the dealers and then they cause more problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #195
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I think Carlos suggested that it could be an acid based alloy cleaner that had been sprayed on and not washed off properly causing these problems. Certainly is a disgrace, will you be sending pics to your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #196
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I think Carlos suggested that it could be an acid based alloy cleaner that had been sprayed on and not washed off properly causing these problems. Certainly is a disgrace, will you be sending pics to your dealer?
I use a weak TFR when cleaning the wheels with lots of water. No acid!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #197
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
I use a weak TFR when cleaning the wheels with lots of water. No acid!!!
Sorry didn't mean you, maybe the dealer did it before you took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #198
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Just a thought, the facelift models have galvanised hubs, so hopefully they will not rust. If anyone wants a pic, I'll do one at the week end.