BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

01-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Question about those who have experience with Menzerna Products

All,

I am doing the winter detail on my Jerez black E90 M and I use the PF2500 with an orange pad then move to the FF3000 with a green pad (I have found the yellow for 2500 to be too much) and then do the menzerna sealant wax.

How ever the sealant wax is leaving this film all over the car. I barely use two pea size dabs on the pad.

We are all anal about cleaning and I use a different MF towel for every section I do (all color coded).

I use the menzerna paint refresh as a detailer spray as it is good on the paint, no silicone and if you ever have paint work done its safe on fresh paint.

When I go to wipe of the residue it's leaving scratches on the car. This has not happened before and is very frustrating.

Any thoughts or Ideas on what I could do different or maybe what I am doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

You're suppose to apply the sealant and let haze then buff with a clean MF towel..it should not cause any scratches..that is just strange
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

The haze came off with the menzerna paint refresh, but marred and scratched the paint..I only use über MF TOWELS so there is plenty of cushion and good MF coverage onto the clean paint.

The weird thing is that this didn't happen to my other cars I did recently.

Could I just put the Blackfire spray sealant on and call it a day? I don't feel like the paint will be protected or pop like it usually does.

Perhaps a different wax/sealant?

This seems to happen with any type of glaze in the past I have tried as well.

Using blue/red/white pad for the wax sealant
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I've never used that product so I'm not sure. Are you sure they are scratches and not tiny clumps of the residue that are streaking? Sounds like a dumb question, but I'm not sure.

The MF towels are clean or new? It's just odd, because a new and clean MF towel shouldn't leave any scratches on the paint surface unless there are some sort of contaminants still on the paint or in the towel. Is the area you are working dusty? Maybe while you're working some dust is falling onto the car and it's marring the paint when you buff off the haze. I'm honestly not sure.
      01-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I am sure one of the pro's in here can point out exactly what you are doing wrong

Here is what I do for paint correction and never had any problems:

-Menzerna SIP w/ Orange pad
-IPAalcohol wipe down
-Menzerna SF 4000 w/ green pad
-IPA alcohol wipe down again.....
-Wash the car
-LSP of your choice.....

No problems what so ever.

There are very few products that are better than Menzerna out there..... It is one of the best.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 01-17-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Are there any scratches after using the final finish? Scratches are either being introduced through dirt on the applicator, foam, mf or were still there after polishing.

What products did you use before? Maybe you didn't work in the products well enough to break them down.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
fuzzybam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB GLE350

You must have introduced some sort of dirt/dust/debris/etc to the car in between steps. I did what sensi stated above with fantastic results. The only change for me was using microfiber pads instead of the foam pads as I felt like they worked better with the Mezerna stuff I used.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Did you wash the car after polishing? The polishes leave behind oils on the paint which you can remove by washing the car or using an IPA wipe down. There are also some products made to clean polishing oils such as CarPro's Eraser. Always remember to clean off the polishing oils before applying sealant.

Be careful with microfiber cloths. Remove the tags and make sure you do not let the edge of the towels touch the paint. Microfiber can scratch if you apply too much pressure or if they get dirty.

BMW black paint is super soft and delicate. Your bare finger will mar the paint if you touch it. You have to be extremely delicate.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Be careful with microfiber cloths. Remove the tags and make sure you do not let the edge of the towels touch the paint. Microfiber can scratch if you apply too much pressure or if they get dirty.

BMW black paint is super soft and delicate. Your bare finger will mar the paint if you touch it. You have to be extremely delicate.
+1 this is why I always use MF towel with silk lined edges and no tags..I have introduced sratches when using standard MF towels for just that reason..def know better now.
Appreciate 0