E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 320d flat spot

10-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Captain Edward
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport E92

E92 320d flat spot

before I go back to the dealer just wondered if anybody else has this issue. Have just picked up my 320d M sport and am generally very happy with the first 2000 miles - in every way better than the Merc 320 CLS I had previously and frankly cannot see why anybody would go for anything else other than for more power -it is refined, comfortable and generally quick for a 2.0 litre diesel etc etc. One niggly point that is probably down to turbo lag or fuel injection? Occasionally when i put my foot down there is no pick up - no defined reason, disimilar revs, up hill or down - just very slow pick up when normally crisp. The only time that this stutter does not occur is from start off when the engine is cold and the car flies. I have changed the air filter to a Pipercross to see whether this helped but no luck. Is this normal or am I expecting too much without a remap? If this topic is elsewhere - sorry did make a search.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Never had a problem with mine ever, its an ED 177bhp. It has had a re-map since 1200 miles though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Captain Edward
Rep

where did you go for your remap?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Edward View Post
where did you go for your remap?
Went to Evolve in Luton. Lots of members have used them. Superchips are another suitable option.

Once mapped you will never go back. I have 215BHP and better economy when driven carefully.

Well worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
davemand
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320M sport highline

I've seen various comments regarding remaps and insurance quotes, but how does such a modification impact the BMW 3 year warranty - or do folks reset the map prior to services ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Do you mean something like up to half a second delay when pressing the pedal more spirited, while coming from relative light load/speed?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F104 View Post
Do you mean something like up to half a second delay when pressing the pedal more spirited, while coming from relative light load/speed?
Yeh I get this. I've just learnt to press it more progressively. Happens mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear, but I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Only happens sometimes.

Just read another thread on this and BMW had said this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
All current BMW's have adaptive transmission management (ATM). Put simply this is a technology that enables the car to learn your driving style. If you drive the car at low speeds, as in heavy traffic, and this represents most of your driving, or you are a very careful conservative driver, the car will adopt this pattern and will respond sluggishly when you revert to a more aggressive driving style. As I live in a very congested urban area with heavy traffic I have found this feature of the car to be intolerable. BMW have assured me that it can be corrected if the car is driven aggressively for at least 2 weeks. As this is virtually impossible for me in my neighbourhood I have decided to trade my BMW E90 323i for a Lexus IS 250 which does not have this unfortunate technological side effect. You can drive a Lexus in bumper- to-bumper traffic as much as you wish, and when you next put your foot down on the accelerator, the engine responds instantly with full power. BMW have told me ATM is their way of getting around the stringent emmissions and fuel efficiency standards applied in Europe. Whilst the car was never meant to be driven sedately it will meet European hurdles when it is driven this way. All cars are heading in the same technolical direction, but BMW is probably 8-10 years ahead of the competition. Small consolation if most of your driving is in urban traffic. I hope this helps to explain the problem you are experiencing, which for became progressive worse over the 12 months I have driven the car.
Sounds like they have a way of covering this area. ATM wtf?! Are they serious...? I also do a lot of town driving and a lot of motorway. So I've got to take it on to a track for it to be responsive?!?! Might as well buy a Lexus
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Well don't know what others think/feel but I believe it is the EGR throttle valve (no 17). I can see on the OBD reader that at some times the ECU is asking up to 50% EGR (=50% of maximum EGR). If you have some load on the engine already (slight incline or example) then I take this valve is partially closed to assist EGR flow. And thus it kills some boost pressure. As it is a motorized valve it will take some time to open - and that's the delay.
I can see & feel it happening, both before and after being Evolve'd

The second attachment is out of a Pierburg document i found, no 12 (=17 above) is exactly the part you have under the hood (i think no 9 also refelects our EGR valve)
I guess you don't see it on a cold engine as the EGR will be switched off later to assist engine warm up, and/or most people don't floor the throttle when cold
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
So what can we do to stop this bullsh** happening when we feel like being reckless and feel the need to mash the pedal to the floor in a moment of madness
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
bump
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Captain Edward
Rep

SiKkBaSs, that's exactly it and BMW know what the problem is. I am not going to thrash the car so it cures an in built problem. So seems to me that the best way forward is for BMW to accept that remaps do not invalidate warranty as the good ones will cure what is a really annoying "bug" on an otherwise good car. Alpina have no "flat spot" issues on their D3 so "approved" software is out there. I think I will remap the car anyway until BMW sort it out, so thanks for the recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

if you remove the throttle plate off the shaft the engine has no more flat spot and goes better. However also throws up a faultcode the dealer will see (but nothing on the dash or on a simple OBD reader), i guess it sees the air mass flow does not decrease when it asks for EGR. And it takes MUCH longer for the engine to warm up. So I'm back to the flat spot..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

I still have the flat spot WITH the evolve map. A remap overwrites fueling/timing tables etc, but I doubt it would change the EGR functionality.

Quote:
SiKkBaSs, that's exactly it and BMW know what the problem is. I am not going to thrash the car so it cures an in built problem. So seems to me that the best way forward is for BMW to accept that remaps do not invalidate warranty as the good ones will cure what is a really annoying "bug" on an otherwise good car. Alpina have no "flat spot" issues on their D3 so "approved" software is out there. I think I will remap the car anyway until BMW sort it out, so thanks for the recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You are always welcome to try my car before you buy a map from Evolve. Live near J3 M40.

Evolve have offers on maps at the moment £399.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
jonsteele
Old enough to know better!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
Sounds like they have a way of covering this area. ATM wtf?! Are they serious...? I also do a lot of town driving and a lot of motorway. So I've got to take it on to a track for it to be responsive?!?! Might as well buy a Lexus
I think ATM only applies to Autos - simple solution, buy a car with a real gearbox!
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsteele View Post
I think ATM only applies to Autos - simple solution, buy a car with a real gearbox!
I've got a good ol' stick shift though
Appreciate 0