Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > OEM RFT Failure..Anyone else?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
MarkRacerX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
OEM RFT Failure..Anyone else?

While heading back from a Seattle, I heard a bunch of noise..pull over to see my rear tire seperated?? About 2" wide inner tread bar section 8" long flap..I cut off the loose part of the tire and didn't loose any air and contd. my my home. So weird just that section the outter skin of the tire somehow pulled apart? The car only has 29k miles..maybe BMW will help replace tire or something..but since Xi you can't run tires that aren't close in wear/height right?

Any thoughts or input?

Thank you,

Mark
      07-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
You can have diff wear on all four tires just not as safe. I have 3 tires that were replaced under my road hazard insurance and still have one tire that hasn't been replaced since i got the car. So this tire is worn alot more than the other 3 but no problem what so ever with the AWD or the handling.
      07-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

probably had a bubble that you didn't notice, and bubble grew into a delamination. Bubbles are a notorious problem with those tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
MarkRacerX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
RFT Failure

Thanks for input guys, I contacted Bridgestone and asked I visit a Firestone Auto Care shop for inspection. They said due to camber wear, car is stock height and I doubt rear camber changed somehow/ haven't hit any holes or anything..otherwise BMW said they would inspect car if I had alignment issues..which clearly I know I don't as rears have even wear so far and fair tread across tire. Those tires are junk..

Hoping BMW Dealership takes care of me..if not my new wheels/tires are arriving Very Soon!

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by MarkRacerX; 07-13-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
MarkRacerX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
outcome..

Went to BMW, since rear tires were at wear bars said real common with the stock camber in rear to wear out the innner tires. The tech said most only see 20k miles or so on stock tires. He said whole stack of tires that have done the same w/ wear...I guess not a defective tire for outter skin to peel off the inner tread bar..

Good timing as my new wheels/tires just arrived, they suggested they do an alignment and will set a little less camber in rear to get more miles/better winter traction, but will cost me like $140.