F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Jerking Forward
proTUNING Freaks

08-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #23
LegitF30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitF30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyMcMahon101 View Post
Mine does it also. It's normal
But that's the thing i know what your probably talking about how the car will jerk from time to time but this feels like misfiring but my car isn't misfiring . I've checked my whole ignition system and changed spark plugs like a month ago with no problems. This "jerking" feeling just started a week ago.
Update: last week I was determined to figure it out. The first thing I did was bleed the fuel line that connects to cylinder 1 injector. Gas started spewing out, which was to be expected of course then tightened it back up. Ran the car and driving it harshly just to see if the problem came back. It did not. (However) it came back after a few days right after I went to the drag strip. So I did the same thing and it went away again.
      08-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #24
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But that's the thing i know what your probably talking about how the car will jerk from time to time but this feels like misfiring but my car isn't misfiring . I've checked my whole ignition system and changed spark plugs like a month ago with no problems. This "jerking" feeling just started a week ago.
Update: last week I was determined to figure it out. The first thing I did was bleed the fuel line that connects to cylinder 1 injector. Gas started spewing out, which was to be expected of course then tightened it back up. Ran the car and driving it harshly just to see if the problem came back. It did not. (However) it came back after a few days right after I went to the drag strip. So I did the same thing and it went away again.
What's the reason for this?

I experience the same issue of jerking. Traffic is horrendous. The 1 to 2 up/ down shifts are very rough. Dealer claims this is normal operation.

I also have a "jerk/stutter" when applying light throttle at about 62/64mpg on a straight level road. The car feels like it's misfiring but it was not.

Car is a 2014 335i Xdrive 46k miles
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #25
LegitF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I experience the same issue of jerking. Traffic is horrendous. The 1 to 2 up/ down shifts are very rough. Dealer claims this is normal operation.

I also have a "jerk/stutter" when applying light throttle at about 62/64mpg on a straight level road. The car feels like it's misfiring but it was not.

Your saying it only happens from 1st to 2nd gear?
      08-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #26
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your saying it only happens from 1st to 2nd gear?
The rough shift yes. The jerking at 62mph is usually 7th or 8th gear on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #27
LegitF30
United_States
Rep

Have you tried resetting the transmission?
      08-05-2019, 03:25 AM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

A couple of clunky gearchanges on a cold engine/gearbox pull away may be normal, a few extra seconds before moving off can virtually eliminate that behaviour. Other than that I can't see any jerky changes being normal.

Rapid on-off accelerator use can cause harder and jerky shifts, but smooth throttle action should eliminate that. In my experience ZF 8-speed boxes, are silky smooth in operation, particularly in Comfort mode.

I note some users with issues are xDrive users, tires and/or pressures can cause the problems being highlighted.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 03:29 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

For elimination, I'd definitely start by checking tires/pressures. Have you changed tires, making it better/worse?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #30
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

For elimination, I'd definitely start by checking tires/pressures. Have you changed tires, making it better/worse?
I'm a bit anal about tire pressure. Always keep it 32front 38 rear (door placard states those pressures) . I recently switched to Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3+. No difference in those characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #31
hrdboiled
Rep
Drives: vw

I have 2013 6mt. jerkiness would happen off and on esp when it was cold. It was getting worse to where it would happen every time I started the car. It would usually last for like 5 seconds. If I applied too much thottle it would jerk like when you were first learning to drive stick. I learned to live with it.

Anyway, my battery died. After I replaced it the jerkiness disappeared. it's been 2 weeks now and no more jerkiness. Maybe something got reset?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #32
obeeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Just this week I have noticed the exact same issue. Slight hesitation/quick jerking
while cruising highway speeds. Only on light throttle inputs like 10-15 percent at about 2000 rpm and 65-70 mph. Honestly feels like a quick backfire.
Is your car still doing this and did you ever figure it out?

My car is 2015 335i XDrive 36k miles.

PS also has this metallic whirring noise at low speeds that I cannot find.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:34 PM   #33
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeeone View Post
Quote:

Just this week I have noticed the exact same issue. Slight hesitation/quick jerking
while cruising highway speeds. Only on light throttle inputs like 10-15 percent at about 2000 rpm and 65-70 mph. Honestly feels like a quick backfire.

Car is still doing it. Funny you mentioned back fire because I just got a misfire on cly3 a few days ago. There a CEL that went away on its own the next start. Brought it to bmw and they state the car is functioning as intended.... yea ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 06:02 AM   #34
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

My f30 used to do this on occasion - was a really weird feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #35
tomzjack
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeeone View Post

I also had a similar situation happen. just want to shared with you guys. About this issue for me is wiring problem from ECU to spark plug, i changed the full set then problem solved.

Hopefully this can help u guys. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:40 AM   #36
ryanj2012
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomzjack View Post
I also had a similar situation happen. just want to shared with you guys. About this issue for me is wiring problem from ECU to spark plug, i changed the full set then problem solved.

Hopefully this can help u guys. Thanks
I know this is a bit old but hoping for some more details. I recently picked up a 2012 335i and it has this jerky behavior when accelerating when cold. When you say you replaced ‘the whole set’ do you mean spark plugs or spark plug wires or both? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 12:58 PM   #37
f30jadyn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw f30 335i

Pretty normal with ware, just always let your car idle and warm up before driving.
Appreciate 0