Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bending Forged Wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Bending Forged Wheels

I am debating heavily whether I want to spend the money on a nice set of forged wheels. I guess what I am really trying to decide is will a pot hole bend a forged wheel just like it will bend a cast wheel? Anyone with experience on how their forged wheels held up would be very much appreciated. Also, are they guys buying forged wheels daily driving their car or just tracking/showing the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
A forged wheel is not unbendable and it is not indestructable. A forged wheel will not bend as easy as a cast wheel. I see it like this, if you hit a huge pothole and you are moving at a good rate of speed, you may bend a forged wheel. However, that same pothole would have destroyed the cast wheel.

I purchase forged wheels for my daily drivers for a coupls of performance reasons. One is for strength and the other is for weight savings. I always go bigger in diameter for my aftermarket rims and the weight savings help, among other things, offset the increased diameter.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
A forged wheel is not unbendable and it is not indestructable. A forged wheel will not bend as easy as a cast wheel. I see it like this, if you hit a huge pothole and you are moving at a good rate of speed, you may bend a forged wheel. However, that same pothole would have destroyed the cast wheel.

I purchase forged wheels for my daily drivers for a coupls of performance reasons. One is for strength and the other is for weight savings. I always go bigger in diameter for my aftermarket rims and the weight savings help, among other things, offset the increased diameter.

Danny
Danny, replacing a cast wheel is just a few hundred dollars, but replacing a forged wheel is $1000. For the money I save and go cast, I could easily get the extra power back with DP's and an intake. Just my thoughts right now.

What I am debating is a wheel like the Breyton CS vs. and IForged Essen or DPE S-20 or Enkreuz. I would just hate to spend $1000 on a replacement wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Yes, you have an excellent point in the replacement costs associated with a cast wheel and a forged wheel.

For me, it's not about replacement costs, I value high quality, and looks aside, I think they match the quality of my car which is

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Bimmerboy87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

You drive a BMW, not a Honda. Treat your car to some nice higher end wheels. Whats the point of buying a cast wheel? just because the cost is less. Why buy wheels then in my opinion? if your worried about bending, heck the cast wheel will totally break not bend, compared to a forged wheel. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy87 View Post
You drive a BMW, not a Honda. Treat your car to some nice higher end wheels. Whats the point of buying a cast wheel? just because the cost is less. Why buy wheels then in my opinion? if your worried about bending, heck the cast wheel will totally break not bend, compared to a forged wheel. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with most everything you said except for the harshness towards Hondas...ouch!

Danny
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e90

yes, I totally agree ... I'll add one cent to your two cents.. now you have enough to buy some "forged" wheels..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Bimmerboy87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I agree with most everything you said except for the harshness towards Hondas...ouch!

Danny
Haha , its the first low end car I can think of . Hope no one here gets their feelings hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by michsu View Post
yes, I totally agree ... I'll add one cent to your two cents.. now you have enough to buy some "forged" wheels..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

haha.. but Honda's S2000 are pretty fast too..

The 1972 Honda 1300 Coupe 7.. that's what you probably meant..

http://www.visualimpressions.ca/honda7/specs.htm

"It comes in two stages of tune: Series 77 which is fitted with a modest 36 mm Keihin variable venturi sidedraught carburettor, producing 100 hp at 7200 rpm (four more horses than the prototype's 96 hp) and putting out a maximum torque of 79.2 lb-ft at 4500 rpm, and Series 99 high performance version which sports four 36mm Keihins and puts out 115 hp at 7500 rpm and a maximum torque of 87.1 lb-ft."

but yeah, back to the OP's question.. Forged is better to get.. it does help with the potholes at least.. the "regular" wheels (cast) might break if you drive too fast over the potholes..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Forged will bend just as easily as cast if you hit a bad pothole.

Forged just means you have slightly stronger metal composition because the molecules have been pounded so much that they create a solid matrix, the grain in the metal is aligned much better. They are somewhat stronger than cast, but not a significant amount. Like the poster above said, just because it's "forged" it does not mean it's made from some indestructible material. It depends on what you value in a wheel, looks vs. performance.
      03-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

wonder why they don't make a stronger wheel than forged? maybe so they can keep selling the expensive wheels to us.. haha.. but that would be something to do.. especially with the potholes.. I had a "adaptive headlamp" malfunction (both lights still work, just that annoying warning at the start all the time now).. already because I didn't see a pothole and drove over it really fast.. the bump didn't do too good with the internal system, let alone the wheel (rims are slightly scratched)..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are you kidding me? What does the brand of vehicle have to do with it? The OEM is cast. In everything in life we have to make decisions on what is the benefit vs. cost ratio on things. If forged wheels are that much stronger and will withstand pot hole that much better, then the decision is easier. If really the main benefit of forged is the lighter wheel, then cast it is for me. I broke 3 pretty expensive wheels on my last car and it got really annoying flushing $800 down the toilet everytime I bent a wheel. They were cast wheels wheels, but I really wouldn't care as much if they were cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

supposedly they say it would be 300% stronger??.. not sure, saw that on an ad somewhere.. but even at 200%, maybe the wheel won't break, but will only bend?.. not sure..

here's something for you:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-2-24s-3.html

"Well, its actually determined by the material of the wheel. Most are aluminum, but there is also cast wheels and then there is forged wheels. Most 1 piece wheels (U2, Giovanna, Lexani, etc) are cast wheels which means they will break easily and really need have to watch out for those pot holes. Forged aluminum is used on three piece wheels for the superior strength. If you hit a pot hole with a 1 piece cast wheel, its most likely going to shatter similar to what happened in the beginning of this thread; as opposed to three piece wheels which will hold its strength A LOT more. Like said already, the more expensive wheels will bend (not crack) if you hit a pot hole hard enough, but you really have to be on the worst of the worst of roads and hit the hole pretty bad. If you hit a pot hole hard on 1 piece wheels, you should probably start making plans to invest in another set, tow truck, and more. With this said, three piece forged wheels are the closet to perfect at this time."

Actually I don't care for lighter wheels.. just bought it for the looks =) and also that pothole "ability" helps too.. since I had a "pothole" problem already.. the forged would probably be the way to go.. especially around the "Downtown" areas where lots of big trucks drive.. they leave a nasty hole that I don't want to fall into without being at least prepared.. that's also why I'm probably not going to lower my car.. not in that kind of area where I work..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
6MTFTMFW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i 6MT

Garage List
2019 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I just hope that "..87" is not the year you were born, otherwise your comments in this department are irrelevant, since mommy and daddy paid for your car and probably your wheels.

Honda is a nice car and not a low-end. Kia is LOW-END

Forged wheels are gonna bend too, read vs7's bending thread. The only benefit of forged as I see it, is the weight savings, you can kill any wheel if you hit it hard enough

Last edited by 6MTFTMFW; 03-04-2008 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Keep in mind that there are differences within the "forged" group. Some are lesser than others. In general, a forged monoblock wheel will be the strongest wheel you can buy compared to a mult-piece forged wheel.

Danny
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am only a "Second Lieutenant".. what do I know? but yeah, I'll do more research on that subject since I got some new wheels too.. still worried about the potholes more than anything..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I have two sets of aftermarket wheels..one forged and one cast..the cast ones are for the track. The forged ones did get damaged..and I am evaluating my options..sounds like I may not be able to fix it...and replacement is my only option.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #18
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I have two sets of aftermarket wheels..one forged and one cast..the cast ones are for the track. The forged ones did get damaged..and I am evaluating my options..sounds like I may not be able to fix it...and replacement is my only option.
Depending on the damage, I would prefer replacment over repair.

Danny
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Depending on the damage, I would prefer replacment over repair.

Danny

VS7 may be $500-600 to replace..including tax and shipping.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

So it is sounding like the strength of cast vs. forged may not be worth the money. Really what you are paying for is a lighter wheel? If that is the case, then I will buy cast and buy down pipes to make up for the power. This really is a great discussion. Any other forged owners want to chime in?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #21
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

nooooo... we are lost now.. make sure to buy the forged wheels .. you don't know what you are missing.. stronger and lighter to defend against the potholes.. haha, but like I said.. I bought them for looks first.. then for ability to defend against potholes second... didn't care much for lighter stuff.. maybe 10-15 pounds each? (not sure on this).. wow, a whole 40-60 pounds.. if you want lighter, get rid of some seats and speakers =) at least 100 pounds.. but like he said, he has 2 sets of tires (one for track and one for street?).. his forged wheels did get bent, but after how long?? You would have to see the extra cost of replacing the cast wheels too.. my guess is probably 3 cast = 1 forged? (estimated price-wise, correct me if I'm wrong).. just like buying a regular brand vs a luxury brand.. we pay for the "luxury" at higher cost, but it does tend to last longer than the regular one..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
SantaClawz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

sizzler or flemings?

ROLLING STOCK
Appreciate 0