F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivetrain Malfunction No CEL or codes
GetBMWParts

04-14-2024, 08:58 PM   #1
parmarharsh
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi 2013 sedan msport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Drivetrain Malfunction No CEL or codes

Wondering if anybody has experienced this and could help me out. (F30 335xi Sedan N55) Was driving normally and then merging on the highway I accelerated fairly quickly and car threw a drivetrain malfunction. This error goes right away as soon and car is turned off and on and comes everytime I try to accelerate fast. If I drive normally not accelerating quickly the malfunction won’t appear but can feel low power as when i push on the accelerator it would go slower than usual. Just got my water pump, thermostat, and charge pipe replaced and not sure if any errors from the mechanic could cause this but any suggestions would help!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 02:24 AM   #2
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
No codes is impossible. If you're getting a drivetrain malfunction, you have codes. You're just not using a scanner to read BMW specific codes. Charge pipe would be my first guess since it was worked on.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8253.50
      04-16-2024, 12:29 PM   #3
Alek Melkonian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f30 and f15

Garage List
This happened to me before. Usually when this happens, it is either the spark plugs or the fuel injectors. Replace all the spark plugs and see if the problem goes away. If not, I would move on to the coil packs. If that doesn’t work, fuel injectors. My bet is spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 12:47 PM   #4
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek Melkonian View Post
This happened to me before. Usually when this happens, it is either the spark plugs or the fuel injectors. Replace all the spark plugs and see if the problem goes away. If not, I would move on to the coil packs. If that doesn’t work, fuel injectors. My bet is spark plugs.
This is called guessing and throwing parts at the car. If something specific happened to your car, it doesn't make it usual. Diagnostics comes before parts. Step one is to read the error codes and/or get the mechanic to check their work on the charge pipe they replaced.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2024, 01:08 PM   #5
Alek Melkonian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f30 and f15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxTH View Post
This is called guessing and throwing parts at the car. If something specific happened to your car, it doesn't make it usual. Diagnostics comes before parts. Step one is to read the error codes and/or get the mechanic to check their work on the charge pipe they replaced.
Yes, you're correct. However, spark plugs are cheap, and if they haven't been replaced in a while, might as well do them. In my experience, this is usually a spark plug or fuel injector issue. Have seen it many times and it's happened to me. Scan the car for codes, and see what it says.

Edit: I saw the charge pipe was replaced. Like NxTH said, it could be the charge pipe. Check to make sure that the charge pipe is properly secure.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 02:29 PM   #6
parmarharsh
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
charge pipe seems to be secured and properly installed but haven’t gotten the error in the past few days regardless of if i drove aggressive or moderately so am waiting for that and will go get it scanned as soon as that error comes up. Haven’t replaced the spark plugs in a while so hoping that’s the error but again not 100% sure. thank you for the help so far
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 03:03 PM   #7
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmarharsh View Post
charge pipe seems to be secured and properly installed but haven’t gotten the error in the past few days regardless of if i drove aggressive or moderately so am waiting for that and will go get it scanned as soon as that error comes up. Haven’t replaced the spark plugs in a while so hoping that’s the error but again not 100% sure. thank you for the help so far
You can scan it whenever, the drivetrain error doesn't have to be active on iDrive. The codes are stored as long as they are manually cleared.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 03:11 PM   #8
parmarharsh
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
saw this and went to mechanic, here right now, he scanned it and no codes at all says eveything is normal
Appreciate 0