F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Insurance
GetBMWParts

05-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
Tuds
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi

Insurance

Hey guys,

new to the forum so I'm not sure if this has been brought up before and if it has and you could link it that would be greatly appreciated but I couldn't find a direct thread.

So long story short, I'm about to start modding my f30, did you guys tell your insurance? If yes, how much did it go up and what parts did you add? if not, why not? I'm in the U.S., are there any modding friendly insurance companies?

My plans are aftermarket exhaust, charge pipe, intercooler, turbo inlet, and air intake. Thanks in advance to anyone's feedback.

Last edited by Tuds; 05-06-2019 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuds View Post
Hey guys,

new to the forum so I'm not sure if this has been brought up before and if it has and you could link it that would be greatly appreciated but I couldn't find a direct thread.

So long story short, I'm about to start modding my f30, did you guys tell your insurance? If yes, how much did it go up and what parts did you add? if not, why not? I'm in the U.S., are there any modding friendly insurance companies?

My plans are aftermarket exhaust, charge pipe, intercooler, turbo inlet, and air intake. Thanks in advance to anyone's feedback.
I have Progressive and they automatically add $1000 of custom parts and equipment coverage. You can buy it up to $5k. From their website:

Custom Parts and/or Equipment
Both Collision and Comprehensive coverage provide up to $1,000 of coverage for custom parts or equipment. Custom parts or equipment are accessories and enhancements permanently installed in or on the insured's vehicle. Parts and equipment offered by the manufacturer or installed by the dealer at the point of sale are not custom parts or equipment, but are included under the insured's standard Collision and Comprehensive coverage.

For example: The insured purchases a new car and has the manufacturer install an "aero kit." The car is involved in a crash and the aero kit is damaged. Since the manufacturer of the vehicle installed the kit, the insured does not need Additional Custom Parts and/or Equipment coverage; this claim will be paid under his or her standard Collision coverage.

Additional Custom Parts and/or Equipment
Additional Custom Parts and/or Equipment (ACPE) coverage is available if the insured has more than $1,000 of custom parts or equipment on his or her vehicle. If the insured purchases ACPE, we will pay for custom parts or equipment damaged as a result of a covered accident up to the amount shown on the insured's Declarations Page.
Additional Custom Parts and/or Equipment coverage may be purchased by entering a total value up to $5,000. The insured must have Comprehensive and Collision coverage on his or her policy to obtain ACPE coverage.

For example: If the insured takes his or her car to a shop and has a $3,000 hydraulic package installed and is later involved in a crash that damages it, only $1,000 worth of coverage for repairing it would be provided under Collision coverage. In this case, the insured would have needed to purchase at least $2,000 of Additional Custom Parts and/or Equipment coverage in order for the claim to be fully covered.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

Are you asking as far as wanting the custom parts insured so if in an accident, your insurance covers their replacement?

Here is what Progressive says about that:

They let me get quotes on demand, so here is what an extra $5,000 in custom parts would cost me over 6 months:

They yelled at me when i entered an amount greater than $5000:

That being said, i do have a car that has had more than $5k spent on it in aftermarket parts (big turbo ST, dont judge me) and no, i havent told the insurance company. Just never thought about it or considered it as an option. That and not sure if i have receipts for most of the stuff anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
I have Progressive and they automatically add $1000 of custom parts and equipment coverage. You can buy it up to $5k.
beat me to it!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Tuds
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi

rambleon84 and BeerHerder thanks for the feedback. I currently have Geico but seems like Progressive might be the better option! I've heard from friends your insurance doesn't have to cover mods if not mentioned, which is why I brought it up. Still haven't decided if it's actually worth it as I don't intend to get in a wreck...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuds View Post
rambleon84 and BeerHerder thanks for the feedback. I currently have Geico but seems like Progressive might be the better option! I've heard from friends your insurance doesn't have to cover mods if not mentioned, which is why I brought it up. Still haven't decided if it's actually worth it as I don't intend to get in a wreck...
I don't think you need to "declare" anything so to say about what specifically you've done, but if you don't have coverage for it, they won't cover it. I specifically have Progressive because their motorcycle coverage is so much cheaper than anything else I found. The car insurance has consistently been lower than State Farm by about $50-100 per 6 months. I'm also in IL, so your state adjusters may be different. Geico probably has something similar to Progressive, so I would check their website first if you don't want to switch.
Appreciate 0