F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Broken head wheel anti theft lock nut
ARMA SPEED

02-24-2024, 06:42 AM   #1
biosdi
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Gran Coupè

Broken head wheel anti theft lock nut

Hi guys.

Yesterday I reinstalled the front left wheel and I broke the lock nut head; I mean, the nut is screwed on the wheel, but the head has fallen apart.

Just to explain, I’m in the same situation as per attached image. The only difference is that my nut is screwed in the wheel.
Name:  IMG_6781.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  804.1 KB

What to do now? Any chance to reinstall the head or remove the nut to replace?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 08:34 AM   #2
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosdi View Post
Hi guys.

Yesterday I reinstalled the front left wheel and I broke the lock nut head; I mean, the nut is screwed on the wheel, but the head has fallen apart.

Just to explain, I’m in the same situation as per attached image. The only difference is that my nut is screwed in the wheel.
Attachment 3395372

What to do now? Any chance to reinstall the head or remove the nut to replace?

Thanks
I was in the same situation with my wife's F15. Actually worse, as I had to remove the top section with the key relief, as it was strupped. I bought the below lug nut extractor, hammered on the 19mm to what is pictured and it came out with ease with a long pry bar (not impact).

THINKWORK Lug Nut Remover, 6 Pieces Wheel Lock Removal Kit for Removing Stripped, Damaged, Frozen, Rusted, Rounded-Off Bolts, Nuts & Screws https://a.co/d/3VmddAW

Just to add, I removed the remaining 3 and replaced them with non-locking bolts.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 09:40 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
AGA Tools Wheel Lock Removal Tools

https://agatools.com/products/aga-wlrt

Little expensive, but has everything you would ever need to even remove lock lugs with the spinning head...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:10 PM   #4
biosdi
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ObiJon View Post
with a long pry bar (not impact).
Thanks.

Just one more question: why do you specify “not impact”? Is there any precise reason for not using an impact wrench?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:21 PM   #5
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosdi View Post
Thanks.

Just one more question: why do you specify “not impact”? Is there any precise reason for not using an impact wrench?
I wanted to apply a consistent amount of torque continuously with the extractor on. I was worried that with an impact gun, the extractor would bite through the thin wall on the bolt and I would be further screwed.

I hammered the extractor on with a mini-sledge and with a decent sized breaker bar (think I said pry above), the bolt came right out.

I've attached an image of what I was left with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 01:44 PM   #6
biosdi
Private
Italy
Rep

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 1
_ObiJon200.00