Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Continental ControlContact Sport A/S

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
neiln
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Continental ControlContact Sport A/S

Hi All,
Its a 2009 328i xDrive

I had the ContiproContact SSR Run Flats originally from factory on them.

The tires were worn out and I had to replace them.

I did all my research and I settled down to replace the RFTs with regular tires.

I made my mind to buy the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, and when I called Discount Tire, they mentioned that they have the Continental ControlContact Sport A/S which are better than the ExtemeContact DWS.
http://www.discounttire.com/infocont...ctsportas.html
The ControlContacts are exclusively manufactured for discount tire.

They said they can price match this one with DWS from tirerack.com and I believed and went with them.

So far, its been 2 weeks. I see a major major difference in ride quality when compared to the RFTs I had before. Extremely smooth ride. I dont exactly love the smoothness as the sporty feel is gone.

Questions:
1) Since I dont have a spare tire, Am I OK to go this route of Non-Run Flats?
2) Shall I buy a Tire repair kit? http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...Tire+Inflation
3) I have 30 days to switch my tires if I dont like them(discount tire warranty) so do you think I should change them to the DWS as the ControlContacts are not generally available.
4) Anygeneral thoughts on the ControlContacts from the above link?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
neiln
Rep

Below are the responses from Continental Support :
My 1st Query:
I drive a 2009 BMW 328i XDrive ( 205/55 R16 91H)

I went to Discount Tire to buy a full 4 set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS but Discount Tire said that they do not have any more of them in stock and offered me the Continental ControlContact Sport A/S .

They mentioned that Continental will be discontinuing the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and the ControlContact Sport A/S is a superior version of the DWS.

After doing some research online. I found out that
1) The ControlContact Sport A/S is exclusively made for Discount Tire
2) There are no reviews for the ControlContact Sport A/S

I would like to ask you if
1) Is the ControlContact Sport A/S a better tire than the ExtremeContact DWS?
2) If its better , In what ways is it better?
3) What are the significant improvments that Continental made on these ControlContact Sport A/S model?
4) Will you release the ControlContact Sport A/S to the general market.

Conti RESPONSE :
The ExtremeContact DWS 205/55R16 is not discontinued. We are still manufacturing the DWS tire. We manufacture the ControlContact Sport AS exclusively for Discount Tire. The tire will remain a dedicated tire line for Discount Tire stores only. The ControlContact Sport AS is comparable to our ExtemeContact DWS. The main difference between both tires is snow traction. The ExtremeContact DWS is more aggressive for snow traction.

My 2nd query:
What do you mean by extreme contact dws is more aggressive on snow ? Is it good for snow conditions or bad ?

Also in terms of comparision which one is better ? Controlcontact or the extreme contact dws ?

Which one has better sidewalls ? I'm a little rough on the curves.

What's is the retail price of control contact ?

Conti 2nd Response:
The ExtremeContact DWS performs better in snow condition, greater traction. Both tires are comparable. The DWS is a bit more aggressive. We are a wholesale company, dealers set their own prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
neiln
Rep

please respond
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiln View Post
Hi All,

Questions:
1) Since I dont have a spare tire, Am I OK to go this route of Non-Run Flats?
2) Shall I buy a Tire repair kit? http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...Tire+Inflation
3) I have 30 days to switch my tires if I dont like them(discount tire warranty) so do you think I should change them to the DWS as the ControlContacts are not generally available.
4) Anygeneral thoughts on the ControlContacts from the above link?

Thanks,
Answers:
1) Forget the DWS for Los Angeles, have Discount get you on a set of DW's or Bridgestone RE 760 sports. Both the same price at Discount on line and CHEAPER than the Sport A/S they gave you.

2) Yes, buy a tire repair kit at Walmart, they are under $40 and refillable. I have one in each car even though I have full road service and a spare in the wife's Infiniti.

3)Have Discount change you over to the DW's or RE760's ASAP. Do some looking on Tirerack and decide. They are the same price on the Discount tires.com web site.

4) General thoughts - don't bother with all season tires if you're interested in performance. In LA I wouldn't think you need the snow capabilities. Heck if they get any snow at all in the mountains, they require chains anyway. THe DW's or the RE760's will give you the smoothness and performance you desire.

If it were me, I'd put on the Continental DW's tomorrow and never look back. For the record, I replaced my Bridgestone runflats with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but I track the car a few times a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
neiln
Rep

what if I want to move to the east(where I am from) in 2016?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Depending where in the east, you may need snow tires, not all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
neiln
Rep

Chicago
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
ellisz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I called a local Discount Tire today and go a similar response. I was looking at the General AS-03 and he suggested a Continental tire. I was expecting to hear him say DWS but instead heard ControlContact AS. I could not find much on them and I saw this thread.

Based on this, I think I will call them back tomorrow to see what the DWS quote would be or stick with the Generals. Has no one tried the ControlContacts? The pricing on the Generals is really good right now but I worry they will get loud!
Appreciate 0