F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Impact on warranty or insurance of changing to non run flats
Extreme Powerhouse

10-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Impact on warranty or insurance of changing to non run flats

With the discussion on winter tyres, I am on the point of pulling the trigger on Vredstein non RFTs. I had them on my last car and they were great! BMW are wanting 2k for their winter package! Vredstein coming in at 600. So a no brainier.

However, I'm unsure if having non RFT Impact warranty (ie can BMW say they are the wrong tyres) or whether insurance company (Admiral) will have something to say (they don't charge for winter tyres). I can get them to fit current wheels, so it's not a change of tyre. I will need to invest in a can of gunk to repair a puncture!

Apologies if this has been discussed before!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Check this link.

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and...657A699FB.ashx
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Thanks, this helps. Do you know if there is an issue going from RFT to non RFT?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep

As long as within manufacturers speed rating / or load, not a problem.

Plenty on here have went Non run flats.

With Admiral it can vary who you talk to.

I found the Canadian office the easiest to chat to and least problematic.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Thanks, this helps. Do you know if there is an issue going from RFT to non RFT?
The issue with some insurers is not the run-flat vs. non run-flat change, but simply want confirmation of correct load and speed rating, as per manufacturer's specification.

Warranty, the official line is more blurred, BMW used to emphasis keeping with run-flats. "Designed for RFTs, etc.", but now there are more BMW vehicles with non run-flat options I guess it is more difficult to express the same view.

BTW, I ran Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme on my E91, a superb winter tyre.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The issue with some insurers is not the run-flat vs. non run-flat change, but simply want confirmation of correct load and speed rating, as per manufacturer's specification.

Warranty, the official line is more blurred, BMW used to emphasis keeping with run-flats. "Designed for RFTs, etc.", but now there are more BMW vehicles with non run-flat options I guess it is more difficult to express the same view.

BTW, I ran Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme on my E91, a superb winter tyre.

HighlandPete
Good to see another fan of the Vreds! They are a great tyre for the price! Not a lot of people know how good they are.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

As long as you fit a recognised brand of the correct size and rating there's no impact to BMW warranty. My insurer didn't even want to know (Admiral).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

If you are planning on keeping the same wheels and just swapping tyres twice a year, you might be better buying a second set of alloys.

Less chance of damaging wheels during fitment and you can sell them when you change cars to get most of the money back
      10-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
As long as you fit a recognised brand of the correct size and rating there's no impact to BMW warranty. My insurer didn't even want to know (Admiral).
neither did mine - they seemed bored by the courtesy in informing them!!

PS I did ask them especially to keep their reaction permanently on file to cover my call.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

I have never and will never inform my insurance company when I change tyres.

If they're legal for the road then that's that. If they're not its a police matter anyway.

It's getting to the point that you have to tell the insurance company of you fart in the car! Or if you change a bulb? What happens if you change car mats?

Sorry for the sarcasm but I think people are too cautious for their own good.

My insurance company will know when I renew, when and if anything changes (ie new car) or if I have been involved in an accident.

That's it!
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D

If they're legal for the road then that's that. If they're not its a police matter anyway.

It's getting to the point that you have to tell the insurance company of you fart in the car! Or if you change a bulb? What happens if you change car mats?

My insurance company will know when I renew, when and if anything changes (ie new car) or if I have been involved in an accident.

That's it!
The point relates to the removal of manufacturer-fitted RFTs and replacement with non-RFTs therefore non-OEM. In the same way that you should/must inform your insurer regarding to modifications to suspension, brakes, etc, it's advisable to inform of a change to the type of tyre fitted. If the insurer isn't bothered, you've lost nothing but a few minutes and the cost of a phone call.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The point relates to the removal of manufacturer-fitted RFTs and replacement with non-RFTs therefore non-OEM. In the same way that you should/must inform your insurer regarding to modifications to suspension, brakes, etc, it's advisable to inform of a change to the type of tyre fitted. If the insurer isn't bothered, you've lost nothing but a few minutes and the cost of a phone call.
but they're just tyres? Just because they're fitted by BMW, that makes no difference surely?

They're tyres...sorry i just don't agree and wont ever call an insurer to tell them I'm in kwikfit.

I don't want to come across argumentative I just don't think its something worthy of even a phone call.
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys, thanks for all the useful feedback.

Just one last wee niggle.....if I change to non RFT, can you switch off the sensor. Or does the warning stop after a while? Not keen on a constant beeping through the winter months!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
but they're just tyres? Just because they're fitted by BMW, that makes no difference surely?

They're tyres...sorry i just don't agree and wont ever call an insurer to tell them I'm in kwikfit.

I don't want to come across argumentative I just don't think its something worthy of even a phone call.

The problem is people buying tyres that are R or T rated and fitting them to a car easily capable of over 110 Mph.

Then you have people on continent, in Germany for example saving money by fitting H rated tyres.

Ever had a friend killed on an autobahn due to tyre failure....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #15
sweels
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The problem is people buying tyres that are R or T rated and fitting them to a car easily capable of over 110 Mph.

Then you have people on continent, in Germany for example saving money by fitting H rated tyres.

Ever had a friend killed on an autobahn due to tyre failure....
I'm not a lawyer so this is anecdotal but...

The driver's door frame sticker tells you the approved size/speed/load ratings of the permitted tyres. Anything outside of those are therefore unapproved. Those stickers as far as I can see make no mention of them needing to be rft, so it would be strange if rft are an actual requirement.

In terms of speed rating it is very clear. The tyre size approved on the door that has M+S next to it is the winter size they approve. This will often have a lower speed rating than the car's actual top speed (but only allowable on an m+s rated winter tyre). For example, a 30d/35d f3x can do 250 kph yet they are allowed to have v rated tyres that are rated to 240kph

Many winter tyres are h rated (210 kph/130 mph) yet are legal on cars that can do 250 kph or more.

On summer/year round tyres, the specified tyres will always have a speed rating higher than the car's top speed.

(Incidentally, if you drive in germany on winters rated to lower than your car's top speed it is a mandatory requirement to put a sticker on your dashboard displaying the tyres' maximum permitted speed - Tengocity please note this for your next Christmas dash across Germany!)

This may seem like a pi55 take, but it's true- you know what the Germans are like with rules!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #16
Im1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d se

+1
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #17
Im1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d se

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D

That's it!
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #18
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweels View Post
I'm not a lawyer so this is anecdotal but...

The driver's door frame sticker tells you the approved size/speed/load ratings of the permitted tyres. Anything outside of those are therefore unapproved. Those stickers as far as I can see make no mention of them needing to be rft, so it would be strange if rft are an actual requirement.

In terms of speed rating it is very clear. The tyre size approved on the door that has M+S next to it is the winter size they approve. This will often have a lower speed rating than the car's actual top speed (but only allowable on an m+s rated winter tyre). For example, a 30d/35d f3x can do 250 kph yet they are allowed to have v rated tyres that are rated to 240kph

Many winter tyres are h rated (210 kph/130 mph) yet are legal on cars that can do 250 kph or more.

On summer/year round tyres, the specified tyres will always have a speed rating higher than the car's top speed.

(Incidentally, if you drive in germany on winters rated to lower than your car's top speed it is a mandatory requirement to put a sticker on your dashboard displaying the tyres' maximum permitted speed - Tengocity please note this for your next Christmas dash across Germany!)

This may seem like a pi55 take, but it's true- you know what the Germans are like with rules!

The reason for speed ratings is the temperature / load rating a tyre can take.

You drive in excess of the speed rating of the tyre you can and will in the case of a friend) die.

If you exceed the speed rating of a tyre by say 20mph, you are taking a huge risk.

Those German rules are there for a reason, Autobahn speed 150+

H rated tyre 130.

Although you can get T rated at around 120 mph.

Load rating is equally important.

There is no caution there, just ignorance about speed and load rating of tyres.
Appreciate 0