BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #45
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
How do I do that? I don't have a scanner. Can I just go to the dealer and say "scan my car for codes"?
Any local tuner shop should have an OBD2 scanner. If not, the good ol' boys at autozone can usually handle a scan. It should store any immediate codes, but to look up any longer history, a factory service tool may be needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #46
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
How do I do that? I don't have a scanner. Can I just go to the dealer and say "scan my car for codes"?
The shop that did your install should be able to do it. If they have a dyno and they work on BMW's chances are they will have a scan tool!

Alternatively, an M3post member that lives near you may have a BT tool and will scan the car for you!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 02-23-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #47
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The shop that did your install should be able to do it. If they have a dyno and they work on BMW's chances are they will have a scan tool!

Alternatively, an M3post member that lives near you may have a BT tool and will scan the car for you!
Hey BMRLVR, question, why would you get the Competition PKG on your new E90 if you if you’ve already got the BBS LM’s and Eibach Pro Kit? My understanding is that all the Competition PKG is, is new wheels are a bit lower ride….?

Sorry for thread hi-jack.

p.s. You will have the nicest car way the hell up there in Fort McMurray.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #48
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks!
      02-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #49
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Damn. Jealous of your car again... Looks awesome, sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #50
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
I was at the dealer yesterday and asked the shop manager about installing the system on my car when it arrives in May. He said that because they are an emissions station, that they would not be able to help me out. So, I have three questions;

1. Where did you get your exhaust installed?
2. How difficult is it to install the cel delete?
3. Do you have a picture of the CEL delete installed?

Thanks again.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #51
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Very nice upgrade man wish I had the spare cash!

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #52
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
I was at the dealer yesterday and asked the shop manager about installing the system on my car when it arrives in May. He said that because they are an emissions station, that they would not be able to help me out. So, I have three questions;

Thanks again.
Any reputable automotive shop, preferablly a shop that does exhaust in SLC should be able to install for you. The instructions that coem with the exhaust are fool proof, that and the system is fully bolt on.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #53
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks again.
1. Your best bet is to look for a tuning shop. Definitely stay away from BMW dealers, not only will they not install it, but they most likely won't have a clue either. Most legitimate exhaust places will not install a modified cat exhaust. I was turned down by a few shops until I found one that would do it. Just search around or try to find other car enthusiasts around your area. They should know.

2. Not difficult at all for a good shop. I wouldn't want to do it myself, but my shop took about 30 minutes to solder the part into the OBDII.

3. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of it installed, however the exhaust comes with detailed instructions on how to do it.
      02-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #54
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Very nice upgrade man wish I had the spare cash!
Thanks man. This is definitely the setup you want if you hate drone.
      02-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #55
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies.

I am assuming that you have had no more CEL warnings? Does anybody know if you still need the CEL Delete if you are flashing your ECU?

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #56
NatAsp-M3
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I am assuming that you have had no more CEL warnings? Does anybody know if you still need the CEL Delete if you are flashing your ECU?
No need for the delete device if you get a flash designed to do the same. It also will work consistently.

I'm wondering if the early low-rpm power dips are eliminated by a tune. As you can see here, those dips are not present on the graph from Akropovic's official web-site:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #57
NatAsp-M3
Private
Rep

... or they could be initiating the graph immediately after the power dip recovery so it doesn't show on their graph. The axis markings on some of these graphs are not so detailed so it's hard to tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #58
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 View Post
No need for the delete device if you get a flash designed to do the same. It also will work consistently.

I'm wondering if the early low-rpm power dips are eliminated by a tune. As you can see here, those dips are not present on the graph from Akropovic's official web-site:
The dip is visible on this graph also, since it starts already at around 2.200rpm. Akrapovic is not making a secret of it. It can be smoothened out by a tune but most prob not be eliminated. On the other hand, when using your car hard you will never feel it and when cruising around in this rpm range it will not bother you.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #59
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ca$h: You might consider adding a heat sheild of some sort. There is a good reason there is one on the OEM system - to protect the nearby suspension and diff elastomers.

I like this choice and this one.

I meant to mention this the other night...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #60
NatAsp-M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkcaptain View Post
The dip is visible on this graph also, since it starts already at around 2.200rpm. Akrapovic is not making a secret of it. It can be smoothened out by a tune but most prob not be eliminated. On the other hand, when using your car hard you will never feel it and when cruising around in this rpm range it will not bother you.
Thanks, I see it now. I was missing the "dip" on Tq since the graph doesn't start high and drop, but now I see it just starts a lot lower. I wonder why I haven't seen this on other HFC dynos?? It's more of an academic curiosity because I'm sure it would be difficult to notice.

If anyone has a tuned Akro dyno, I'd still like to see what difference it makes in the low rpms.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #61
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Correct, I have not had a CEL since it popped on about a week ago. It's been about 500 miles total now.

If you get a tune you will not need the deleter, since they can just turn of the CEL. The deleter is for people that don't want a tune. I will get a tune at some point, just not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Ca$h: You might consider adding a heat sheild of some sort. There is a good reason there is one on the OEM system - to protect the nearby suspension and diff elastomers.

I like this choice and this one.

I meant to mention this the other night...
I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.

Quote:
Thanks, I see it now. I was missing the "dip" on Tq since the graph doesn't start high and drop, but now I see it just starts a lot lower. I wonder why I haven't seen this on other HFC dynos?? It's more of an academic curiosity because I'm sure it would be difficult to notice.

If anyone has a tuned Akro dyno, I'd still like to see what difference it makes in the low rpms.
I can tell you that the dip is barely noticeable at all. If I didn't see it on the dyno, I wouldn't even know it's there.
      03-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #62
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Very odd for the dip to not exist on their dyno when it exists for everyone else that did a dyno pull after..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #63
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Very odd for the dip to not exist on their dyno when it exists for everyone else that did a dyno pull after..
Can you see that red and blue lines are crossing on the Akra-Dyno-Chart between 2.000 and 2.500rpm?
Thatīs the dip, which everybody has... also Akra on they flyer!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #64
1036E90M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

I have to agree with the review on all points except for the "drone"... a drone is audible, but something even a baby can live with (yes, I know this for a fact). I'll have my review up soon as well. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #65
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep

Hit 1000 miles today with the system and no CEL! Seems the deleter is doing its job. I will update after another 1000 miles or if a CEL pops up.
      04-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #66
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xdrive wagon

CEL Deleter?

Any news on the CEL deleter? Is it still doing its job?
Appreciate 0