BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2024, 09:14 PM   #1
e82majorbaker
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82 BMW 128i

Vanos Intake Code 2A82 help!!

Hi everyone,

Owned my 2009 BMW 128i 6mt with the N52 for nearly 10 years now. Have taken fairly good care of it. Car has 130,000 miles on it now. Replaced the valve cover and oil filter housing gasket this weekend, for the 2nd time since i've owned the car now. I also had to replace the water pump and thermostat, and unfortunately, the valvetronic motor unit/eccentric shaft actuator. i overtightened it while reinstalling, trying to get the bottom bolt to line up with the bracket. Oh well. got a new one from fcp euro from URO brand.

Anyways, car starts, has slightly weird idle now, and throttle feels a bit soft/unresponsive. Car revs out fine, seems to drive fine mostly, but not fully normal. it did seem to skip or sputter twice when driving, where it felt like the power cut out, or felt like the clutch had slipped, but that was not the issue. Bounces around at idle, and now it idles lower than it used to, right at 600. after driving 20 minutes, it started wanting to die when idling back in my garage, where the rpm would drop from 600-500, then bounce back to 600. did this until i shut it off and restarted. Car also revs up to about 2k-2.5k when starting initially.

Throwing 2 codes currently that were not present prior to replacing the valvetronic motor and the other parts, though I suspect valvetronic motor is causing the issue. Codes are 2A82 VANOS intake, and 2A99 Crankshaft - Exhaust camshaft. Convinced this is something related to parts i replaced, maybe damaged something while installing new valvecover? Car felt fine prior to these part replacements.

Any ideas or help would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:33 PM   #2
mkeiser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 128i 6mt m sport

clear the codes, swap connectors for the vanos units, swap connectors for the camshaft position sensors, start the car, see if the codes flip flop.
2011 BMW 128i 6MT M Sport - Alpine White on Terracotta w/ Glacier-Silver trim - Koni Yellows w/ H&R Sport Springs, M3 Control Arms, Euro Intake, BMW Performance Exhaust, 3.73 Diff w/ RacingDiffs LSD Conversion, Black Line Taillights, M Performance Grilles, lots-o-maintenance
Appreciate 1