BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2024, 01:42 AM   #1
Salight
Registered
Rep
Drives: mazda

First time posting here

Hey first time posting here so hope I'm doing it right. I have a 2009 128i with roughly 80k miles on it. I'm getting a p2096 and p2196 code. basically running lean as far as I understand. It also has a vibration in the engine bay when under load (like driving up a hill) almost like a misfire but I'm not getting any misfire codes. I replaced the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor as that's what I heard will do the trick sometimes. cleared codes after that and first test drive, nothing changes, code comes right back up (p2096). Then I replace the MAF and that did nothing so I figured I had a vacuum leak. Did the ole' spray starting fluid over entire intake system trick and got nowhere. I don't have a smoke machine otherwise I would've used that. Not really sure where to go next. I've had a 550i before and that was relatively easy to diagnose so really stumped with this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 08:42 AM   #2
mkeiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 128i 6mt m sport

p2096 looks like bank 1 sensor 2 o2. you can buy a generic sensor and splice it in.

getting bmw codes instead of the generic p codes might help you as well.

getting access to diagnostic software such as INPA would allow you to monitor o2 sensor values and see what looks out of wack.
2011 BMW 128i 6MT M Sport - Alpine White on Terracotta w/ Glacier-Silver trim - Koni Yellows w/ H&R Sport Springs, M3 Control Arms, Euro Intake, BMW Performance Exhaust, 3.73 Diff w/ RacingDiffs LSD Conversion, Black Line Taillights, M Performance Grilles, lots-o-maintenance
Appreciate 0