E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Removing the rear door sill

03-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
ericinca
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d

Removing the rear door sill

I would like to access the channel underneath the interior carpet along the doors to do some wiring. This is the channel that routes wires between the front and rear of the car. What's the best way to remove the rear door sill?

I have tried to find articles about removing these sills but haven't found it. The articles I found discuss most about the front door sills, which I was able to remove.

The "slide left and right while lifting" approach that works for the front door sills doesn't seem to work on the rear door sills since the sills are curved.

Any advice? Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Its the same as the front. Just pulling works too although a slightly greater chance of breaking the clips on the underside of the door sill.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
ericinca
Private
Rep

Thanks Taibani! I was able to remove the sill cover by just pulling it up. It helps to remove the rear seat first. There is an extra clip at the top of the sill cover that needs to be unclipped to fully remove the sill.

Now the question is how to reinstall it. I know the clips have to removed from the car and slid onto the sill tracks.

My question relates to the felt strip that holds down and covers the sill cover along the door, as it seems there is no way to overlay the felt strip over the sill cover then clipping things in.

Seems like the only way is to clip in the sill, then somehow manipulate the felt strip over the sill cover along the edge. Tight fit though!

Anyone with experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah I forgot about the piece that underlaps the rear seat, I think i ended up twisting mine out after I got that far.

I don't really remember messing with the felt strip, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

I normally use a plastic pry tool to pull the felt back over the trim.

I'm sure a screwdriver would work too but may scratch some things. Try maybe a wooden stick, like a popsicle stick.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
ericinca
Private
Rep

Thanks all! This was actually maybe a false alarm. The plastic sill cover goes _over_ the felt, not under it, as I have seen it in the photos of properly installed sill covers. So I simply snapped the sill covers back on over the felt, and all looks good!

Apologies for the false alarm. I should sometimes take photos of how things are supposed to originally look so I can remember how they go back together.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
I just pulled the fronts off myself. Looking at the way the front attaches, you slide it to the left and then gently pull up on the right by the edges of the plastic, this should release the two clips on the right. then you slide to the right and pull up a bit and the sill trim cover comes off.

Now I am curious about the rears because they are next. I will try to do the same with the rears, but if it is curved, it may be a bit harder because it wont slide so easily. If the clips are the same as the front, pulling up on the edges should bend the plastic opening the clips a bit which should help pull it off. But I havent done it yet....
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
ericinca
Private
Rep

Thanks Quasimodem. After repeatedly having to back into the rear, I found it is as easy as you say. Just pull it off and the plugs will do the right thing by detaching. There is another button cap underneath the seat that needs to be pulled out with a trim removal tool.

It is even easier to put the rear sill back on; just align the plugs with the holes and give it a decent wack or two.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Well, some photos of my sunday project here. I ran a speaker wire to my driver's door and a switched power wire (yellow) from my trunk mounted alarm system to the fuse box (the photo of the knot in the yellow wire is an example of what you do not want to do, LOL). The rivet I am holding is the hidden attachment for the rear passenger sill cover (under the right hand front corner of the rear seat) -- you pull up on the inner circle and it pulls out of the outer circle releasing. FWIW:
Attached Images

Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0