Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Confused about TPMS valves

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-10-2023, 09:24 AM   #1
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Confused about TPMS valves

I have bought a set of wheels (without TPMS valves) so that I can put winter tyres on them.

However I am confused about what to do regarding the TPMS valves.

The tyre shop is quoting £silly monney to supply, "program" and fit valves.

Rybrook BMW say that no programming is needed. Just put new valves in the wheels, perform a rest and the car will pick up the new valves automatically.

Elsewhere on this forum soneon has said that provided the valves send a signal at 433MHz the car will pick them up automatically.

There are sets of 4 x 433MHz TPMS valves for sale on eBay for around £45 which claim to be compatible with my 420i XDrive and 640d.

Does anyone know what is the truth of all this?

Can I just but the eBay set, have them fitted and the car will find them automatically?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 10:30 AM   #2
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Based on my experience, it should detect them automatically.

I swap between daily and track wheels, each with their own TPMS sensors. Sometimes, the car doesn't detect them right away, and I'll see the TPMS light; but with no action required on my part, it will usually resolve itself next startup.

If I were to do it again, I might save the $ on the track TPMS sensors and code 'em out, but the TPMS works pretty well in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
I have bought a set of wheels (without TPMS valves) so that I can put winter tyres on them.

However I am confused about what to do regarding the TPMS valves.

The tyre shop is quoting £silly monney to supply, "program" and fit valves.

Rybrook BMW say that no programming is needed. Just put new valves in the wheels, perform a rest and the car will pick up the new valves automatically.

Elsewhere on this forum soneon has said that provided the valves send a signal at 433MHz the car will pick them up automatically.

There are sets of 4 x 433MHz TPMS valves for sale on eBay for around £45 which claim to be compatible with my 420i XDrive and 640d.

Does anyone know what is the truth of all this?

Can I just but the eBay set, have them fitted and the car will find them automatically?
FWIW I've been driving for the past several years with the TPMS light on my dash and been fine lol.
Appreciate 0