E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery registration not working

03-19-2024, 05:31 AM   #1
spyda
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Battery registration not working

So ive had this 08 bmw 328xi for a while now n theres just so many problems with it but recently ive replaced the battery and ive got to the registration part so i bought a ANCEL BM700 and i tried registering it but it kept saying
- no communication with IBS or engine electronics
-DME/DDE program status cannont save battery change
Not sure what im doing wrong but i do know when i replaced the battery I remembered 2 cables plugged into the red thing on top of the battery and when i was plugging them back in only 1 was there. Ive seen other posts with comments saying stuff about agm or acid based batteries and i had a factory one in the car originally but now I’ve replaced it with a silverstar max battery for like $250 but im not sure if theres a difference and that could be causing issues. Also not sure if thats why i cant register it. Anything helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:01 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda View Post
... 08 328xi... replaced the battery and ive got to the registration part so i bought a ANCEL BM700 and i tried
registering it but it kept saying
- no communication with IBS or engine electronics
-DME/DDE program status cannot save battery change...
i do know when i replaced the battery I remembered 2 cables plugged into the red thing on top of the battery and when
i was plugging them back in only 1 was there...
Welcome to the Forum!
Suggestions Re Ancel BM700:
1) Learn the Different Functions your Ancel BM700 can perform:
2) Review the Manual (pdf attached) & don't be afraid to select & view different screens of information.

Although I've never used an Ancel Tool, I have used both INPA & ISTA, and know what Info is available in systems.
While there are many differences between Scan Tools, what the Diagnostic System can do is same:
3) "Basic Functions" in Ancel is likely same as "Functional Jobs" in INPA:
a) Identify all Modules that are communicating in the entire vehicle (15 to 20 different Modules); DME/ Engine Module is ONE of those;
b) "System Scan" to view ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules in vehicle. See "2.2 Basic Functions on p.6 of pdf;

4) "Manual Select" or "Connect" to a particular Module (such as DME) to see Detailed Info such as:
a) Fault Codes with Fault Details, such as Freeze Frame Data; Clear/Erase Fault Codes, etc.
b) Read Datastream / View Live Data: view values of Sensor INPUTS to a Module, such as Engine Temp, RPM, to DME;

5) "Special Functions" discussion begins on p.9 of pdf. Battery Registration is ONE of those "Special Functions".

It appears that your DME is NOT communicating with Ancel BM700. We FIRST need to determine WHY. Steps Below.

NEXT Steps:
1) Use "Basic Functions" / "System Scan" (p.6 pdf) to view ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules in vehicle.

2) Record/ Save Screen/ Photo of those codes & post here.

3) If DME is NOT present in Module list, try "connecting" to DME Module and reading fault codes in DME. If any, post here.

4) See attached photo of my 328xi battery installation & Cable/ Connector labels. Let us know how yours differs.

Try those steps, post your results, & we'll suggest "Next Steps".
George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BM700 72533bf6-a05c-40e7-a092-22d5be7d1ef1.pdf (2.94 MB, 6 views)
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 12:00 AM   #3
spyda
United_States
Rep

It turned out to be my DME and IBS not plugged in but could that have caused other codes? I haven’t cleared any since ive read the codes a few times. I registered the battery and it seemed too idle a but better i havent driven it since but i have seen somewhere its best to get the alternator going. Thinking about clearing the codes and re reading them to see if i still get the same codes
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 07:10 AM   #4
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

Many of those Amazon type scanners and others, do not play well with BMW. Use ISTA or buy Protool from Bimmergeeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:36 AM   #5
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Ancell BM700, Foxwell 510 and Schwaben 14020SCH can all do battery registration.

Easy to use Bimmercode app and Veepeak bluetooth adapter to quickly code in any battery type / capacity change.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2024, 10:17 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It turned out to be my DME and IBS not plugged in but could that have caused other codes? [You have NOT posted ANY Fault Codes in this Thread, although I see you have posted THREE other threads.] I haven’t cleared any since ive read the codes a few times. [See Below] I registered the battery and it seemed too idle a but better i havent driven it since but i have seen somewhere its best to get the alternator going. [See Below] Thinking about clearing the codes and re reading them to see if i still get the same codes
General Suggestions:
1) Learn to WALK BEFORE trying to RUN!
2) NOBODY "knows everything". Take time to LEARN HOW things/systems work & to RE-Examine your "Concepts".
3) Think of Fault Codes as "Clues" -- NOT "Replace part X". Code often caused by WIRING issue, affecting Power, Ground or Signal, and NOT by a particular component that requires replacement. Don't "Throw Part$" -- DIAGNOSE!
4) Get (& GIVE) Forum HELP. Provide DETAILS & ask questions. We ALL learn something that way.

Specific Suggestions:
1) Please indicate exactly WHAT was NOT properly-connected & WHERE. You said: "DME and IBS not plugged in". Were those "Unplugged" connectors at the battery, in the E-box, or WHERE? If the "B+ to VVT Relay" cable was NOT connected to the RPDP on top of the battery, that would explain the 2A30 & 2DID Codes reported in another thread. Unplugged IBS Sensor might explain Coolant Pump Code.

2) SAVE Fault Codes in some fashion, BEFORE clearing codes. ALSO Save any Freeze Frame data associated with that code. There is a "History Memory" in your DME, which retains the faults & Details of the last 10 fault codes, even after fault code is Cleared. INPA can access that "Historienspeicher" but your Ancel may NOT be able to do that.

3) IF you have recorded code & FF data, CLEAR fault code after completing a "repair" task, and see if code Returns. Clear fault with Ignition ON, Engine OFF.

4) You mentioned "get the alternator going". What issue are you having with Alternator? What Codes/Warning Lights? What Voltage values measured with Multimeter at Jumpstart Terminals with engine running?

Suggested Procedure "Going Forward":
1) In ONE Thread, pick what you believe to be the PRIMARY or Top Priority issue. Describe any symptoms (e.g. "can't communicate with DME"). Describe any warning lights that stay on after engine start or 10 seconds after Ignition ON in cases of "No Crank", or "Crank, NO Start".

2) LIST ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules. YOU can use BMW Fault Code Lookup to see definition of fault code, and SOMETIMES a Fault Information page that gives Service Notes or suggestions for TESTING. Once again: a Fault Code is ONLY a clue, or STARTING POINT for DIAGNOSIS.
https://bmwfault.codes/

3) Provide Last-7 Characters of your VIN, Build Mo/Yr, Engine & Chassis (E9x).

4) Folks who understand HOW a particular system works WILL see things NOT apparent to YOU, so don't expect to "know it all" NOW, or any time in NEAR Future (in this Lifetime ;-). We ALL should be Learning, Exploring, Helping.

So please START by providing items suggested in 1), 2) & 3) above.
George
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      03-26-2024, 12:31 AM   #7
spyda
United_States
Rep

It seemed too be a main red wire with a larger black connector (im not good with wiring names) but it plugged into the red box on the top of the battery and there was also a smaller one more too the back of the battery but it wasn’t connected to the battery. It had a smaller blue connector at the end of it. But i connected both of those last time i was looking at the car and i was finally able to register the battery.

But I’ve recently just been taking pictures of the codes im pretty new to code readers but when it gets warm up here soon im going to re read the codes and clear them and read them again too see if my old battery and me constantly taking it out before might have caused a few fault codes.

But nothing wrong with the alternator i just read somewhere that engine ticking can be from old oil and the hydraulic lifters are old and corroded so someone said to drive the car for about 15-20 minutes and it should go away.

But just been trying to figure out the rough idle it has and figure out why it was in limp mode. I want to get a few new parts for it but im stuck on what to get because of these codes. But i can read the codes again and make a fourm with all of them and get a video of the lights on the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:37 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... i connected both of those last time i was looking at the car and i was finally able to register the battery. [Ancel BM700 NOW connects with DME & "Registers" battery. ]
But I’ve recently just been taking pictures of the codes im pretty new to code readers but when it gets warm up here soon im going to re read the codes and clear them and read them again too see if my old battery and me constantly taking it out before might have caused a few fault codes. [Sounds like a "Plan". Please let us know if any codes reappear after "Clearing", and what performance issues. Remind us what Scan Tool you have when posting back.]...
But just been trying to figure out the rough idle it has and figure out why it was in limp mode. [IF VVT (Valvetronic) codes no longer appear after "Clearing", then perhaps NO Limp Mode anymore? Rough Idle often caused by "Vacuum Leak" or air leaking into intake manifold via broken hose. If you have "Lean Fueling"/ Mixture fault codes, that is FIRST suspect.]
I want to get a few new parts for it but im stuck on what to get because of these codes. But i can read the codes again and make a fourm with all of them and get a video of the lights on the dashboard.
BEFORE ordering/replacing parts, please let us know Symptoms, Warning Lights, & Fault Codes.
I would suggest taking the time to learn HOW to use Ancel BM700 to:
1) Read Fault Codes;
2) View Freeze Frame Data related to each Fault Code:
https://www.obdautodoctor.com/tutori...ame-explained/
3) Clear Fault Codes;
4) View Live Data; this allows you to SEE in "Real Time", MAF Rate, RPM, Fuel Trims, etc., which give clues about Lean/Rich.

After you know HOW to gather DATA, you can post that Data here, get help, & we ALL learn something.
George
Appreciate 0