E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 convertible A-pillar leak

11-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #45
ludobmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 Cabrio; 2012 X5d

Thanks for the file
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 08:33 AM   #46
Dx11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

I'm not gonna read the whole thread so this was probably mentioned by someone else:

I had the exact same issue, and for me it was the rubber seal between the front window and the roof (which also goes down I think). Dealer was sure of it, and replaced it under warranty, and problem was solved instantly
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #47
BillM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e93

Leak Patrol on e93 m3 and photos

Hello Everyone,

I write to share my experience on leak patrol on my 2011 m3 e93 with photos.

I would echo the sentiment of the original poster, the hardtop is complex and with a lot of pieces, but if you take the time to look at it, it's not overwhelming.

I had a leak in both my front a pillars. It was drops, nothing torrential.

What was interesting is that it would start and stop, in very slow fashion.
It would be raining out, but there wouldn't be any "drops" unless the car took a turn or stopped.

1. I started by opening the top, removing the headliner, and unscrewing the cloth side covers. Note, one of them is under mechanical "roll up" tension, and will go zinging backward the minute the screw is loosened. Now one can inspect clearly.

The yellow arrow in photo 1 is the a pillar drain into the door jamb. Mine were clear. I used a 1/4" spring like cleaner from amazon. Worked like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MQCNTQY...roduct_details

2. Photo 2 is the top open, looking backwards from driver side a pillar along length of front top piece. The yellow arrow marks drain running laterally along windshield. Reflect this to access screws holding fabric side covers. You can also access drains along side trim, notably, not all of them communicate. More on this later.

3. Top open, looking forwards from rear. Various drain openings readily visible. Arrow marks where window interfaces with seal.

4. reflecting window inner seal to reveal numersous screws attaching seal to top. The front seal runs from drivers side window across windshield to passenger, and is screwed and butyled in place. (Seal mounts to metal, which in turn is screwed and butyled to top sections.)

To manage leaks, there is an inner u shaped piece that DOES NOT DRAIN but will accumulate fluid should you have a leak between butyl section and top.

This is where my leak was, in the front.

5-6. You hopefully note that my inner front seal of about 4 inches is "loose". This is where I was getting water penetration, which was accumulating and then spilling when the car was moving.

7. My attempt at demonstrating attachment of seal to top, along drivers side lateral from A pillar to rear.

Long story short, I have two small leaks and don't feel like removing the whole seal to repair.

To the original posters point, I could see how removing the top section would make it easier and cleaner, and looking at the various bolts from underneath, would not be difficult to do. The hard part would be getting the top back in place to maintain the original alignment.

Please see YouTube channel Savage Motor Gears @Makhnovets for some excellent videos on the e93 top.

My plan: I'm going to reinforce the top with about 6" long 3" wide waterproof tape, reinforcing the top from the inside. My plan is to lightly heat the tape once placed and clamp it in place with some pressure and backing while it cools.

In the alternative, I may be able to reflect the seal and place a small jb weld silicone seal to augment to portion of the seal that is loose or seeping.

Hope this was useful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:16 PM   #48
rickyzhang
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ci

It leaks in A-pillar on the passenger side of my 2009 328ci. See the image below.

The leak occurs only when it rains. I tried to find the source of the leak by pouring a whole bucket of water into different locations on the roof. However, there will be no leaks at all if I pour the water directly. I'm scratching my head.

I have owned this car since 2009. The cash value of my car dropped from $50k to $6k, and I don't think I'm going to pay the dealer $6k to fix it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1