E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 Not Starting. Battery, fuses, starter, gnomes?? IDK

07-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
llama_of_doom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i

Unhappy e90 Not Starting. Battery, fuses, starter, gnomes?? IDK

I'm having a starting issue with my 2006 325i auto, non-sport. I left the car sitting since april, not surprisingly the battery was dead so I charged it, but it wasn't really holding a charge so I got a new battery, installed it, and tried to start the car up unsuccessfully. I just hear the starter spinning, there doesn't really seem to be any detonation occurring. I have all electronics in the car working, and no errors showing up in the check control. I also have a BT cable which gave me a 2DEC code.

I looked the code up and this is what was posted

2DEC:
2DEC Power management, battery control
Error will not cause a warning light
Error is not currently present
Test conditions have been completed
Signal or value below threshold
EXPLANATION: Installing JB+ while the car did not go into sleep mode.
FIX: Let car go into sleep mode, uninstall JB+ and reinstall it.
FIX: Reconnect battery, clear and rescan.

I disconnected the battery and re-installed a day later and I still have the same issue.

I read several threads people have posted with problems similar to my own.

possible problem areas include: bad starter, blown fuses or relay maybe not allowing for spark, some issue with the B+ cable or negative battery fuse.

Again, I don't have any error codes, could someone tell me if any of the things I listed would set off an error, if so maybe I can cross them off my list of things to check.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Austin 1439
President
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Coupe Crimson Red

Garage List
Check your main 30g relays and possibly other main relays. just start pulling the main fuses that could be bad and possibly look into a bad starter.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
llama_of_doom
Enlisted Member
Rep

So i tested the large black relay behind the glove compartment #5 in this pdf diagram, which works fine. I believe thats the main power relay. Which other fuses and relays do you suggest I check? Are the ones important to the operation of the car all located in the glove compartment or are there also some imprtant ones in the box under the hood

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1295915760

I tried looking up a description for each fuses function, but i mostly find these symbol diagrams. Could you point me in the right direction, possibly with a more descriptive diagram? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
llama_of_doom
Enlisted Member
Rep

So another possiblity I thought of is maybe i have a key immobilizer issue, when I first went to start up the car I got a message saying charge key. It seems to recognize the key though the electionics all turn on...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
llama_of_doom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Alright so an update: my car is turning over to the point that it sounds like its about to start. Perhaps the engine was flooded when I was trying before. I want to check for spark but before doing that I want to push the car into the garage.

So I'm thinking its not the starter, I also dont hear that indicative bad stater grinding.

i'm still unsure about this key thing, my car powers up, unlocks the doors and unlocks the steering column. So I dont think it could be a key issue, but I'm not totaly sure.

Any other relays or fuses people can suggest which might be the culprit.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0