F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Anyone Got Windshield Protection Film?
ARMA SPEED

02-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #1
Chrisk-K
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 & 2019 Acura ILX

Anyone Got Windshield Protection Film?

My old X1 got numerous windshield rock chips during 2019-2021. Fortunately, only one was large.

My 2 month old X3 has already gone through one rock chip repair. When I was cleaning the windshield today, I found a few tiny rock chips on it. I do care about clear visibility when driving, so I'm sick of getting windshield rock chips . BTW, does BMW use soft glass or what? I hardly got any windshield rock chip on my old Lexus and Subaru, both of which I drove for more than 10 years.

I'm interested in windshield protection films (WPF) like ExoShield or ClearPlex. Has anyone got one? Does it work?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 07:32 PM   #2
classj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi E90, X3 M40i, M2CS,X7M50

The product has come a long way. All depends on how you want to look at it.

I had clearplex on my Cayman about 7 years ago. It lasted about two years before the wipers wore through the outer coating of the film even with the proper wax applied. It also had a heavy rainbow appearance.

I put the newest clearplex on my M2CS. Seems much better. So far so good but I don’t drive it in winter or daily.

It’s not as hard as glass. So things like snow scrapers are a bad idea.

It’s a disposable product to protect the windshield. I would assume that on a daily driven car, every few years plan to replace it. It’s up to around 700 installed.

Better for the car than replacing windshields I suppose. Cost wise not sure. My X3 M40 had had the windshield replaced twice so far, and has a repaired crack in the latest one.

BMW glass is horrible. Soft. It pits quickly.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      02-08-2022, 08:11 PM   #3
Chrisk-K
Enlisted Member
Rep

$700 isn't too bad if ClearPlex can indeed prevent those annoying little spots on the windshield!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 09:46 PM   #4
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

I had my M8GC done in Exoshield early October 21. Drove it for a month then put it away for the winter. I do notice a slightly less clear windshield now. But it's not really that bad to me anyway. I feel it a good trade off for the protection it affords. I also had the inside tinted as well and really for all the film on it it looks pretty clear.
I get plenty nervous and my ass puckers bad while driving the 400 series highways here in Ontario Canada. These are brutal wall to wall no holds barred highways of wild aggressive drivers all fucked up on everything. Everyone WAY TOO CLOSE too. Anyone here watch discovery Channels show called " Heavy Rescue: 401. If you do you'll understand my point. You'll get the picture! Many many trucks and cars. All going 110 to 135 km. I just wait for a snap sound and wamo a crack. I've got several on my Saab. Anyway I get way less nervous now knowing I have a least a chance maybe of avoiding a chip or break.
Now on a side note mine did come off slightly in one lower corner. About 3 weeks in. Told the installer and he said " no worries I'll fix it ". Then the weather hit here and I put the car away. So it's not done yet but I know him and he's a square dude who will take care of it.
My cost was reasonable at $550. CAD I feel it's worth the peace of mind for sure.
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
CSBM52722.50
      02-08-2022, 11:56 PM   #5
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

I use to run Clearly which lasted 12 months or so of daily driving, but in the end I was unable to find a supplier for pre cut and pre formed, so I stopped using it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #6
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
I get plenty nervous and my ass puckers bad while driving the 400 series highways here in Ontario Canada. These are brutal wall to wall no holds barred highways of wild aggressive drivers all fucked up on everything.
I hear you, I drive the 400 twice a day and have had to replace many windshields, dump trucks
      02-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #7
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by classj View Post
BMW glass is horrible. Soft. It pits quickly.
yeah that really bothers me why the glass is so susceptible to scratches compared to other firms.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:03 PM   #8
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
I hear you, I drive the 400 twice a day and have had to replace many windshields, dump trucks
Ya dump trucks are bad as they have all kinds of gravel and dirt stuck underneath them and in and around the dump box. They leave a nice muddy gravel laden site and are of course muddy as hell. Then proceed to clean themselves as they drive down the road. Rock popping off as they go. Seen it hundreds of times basically. Kind of a piss off as you know that shit is bouncing all over the place as they drive.
Small trailers towed behind pickup trucks are bad too. Tools, nails, screw, bolts metal parts etc. All by tradesman who just plunk shit on the trailer and off they go. Great for nails and screws.
It's a jungle out there................OF LOOSE FUCKING HARDWARE FYING ALL OVER THE PLACE.
ARGH

Last edited by M8Bimmer; 02-09-2022 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:26 PM   #9
Chrisk-K
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ya dump trucks are bad as they have all kinds of gravel and dirt stuck underneath them and in and around the dump box. They leave a nice muddy gravel laden site and are of course muddy as hell. Then proceed to clean themselves as they drive down the road. Rock popping off as they go. Seen it hundreds of times basically. Kind of a piss off as you know that shit is bouncing all over the lace as they drive.
Small trailers towed behind pickup trucks are bad too. Tools, nails, screw, bolts metal parts etc. All by tradesman who just plunk shit on the trailer and off they go. Great for nails and screws.
It's a jungle out there................OF LOOSE FUCKING HARDWARE FYING ALL OVER THE PLACE.
ARGH
I live in Arizona, a big desert of natural rocks and gravels. Some IDIOTS decided that it would be cool to put even more rocks and gravels as highway side decorations! No wonder Arizona is number 1 in windshield insurance claims in the U.S. Beyond stupid
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      02-09-2022, 10:26 PM   #10
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

There's something about the windshields BMW uses now that are much weaker and prone to chips and cracks. Perhaps they've switched manufacturers because I've seen a huge up tick in issues the past year.
      02-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk-K View Post
Quote:
Ya dump trucks are bad as they have all kinds of gravel and dirt stuck underneath them and in and around the dump box. They leave a nice muddy gravel laden site and are of course muddy as hell. Then proceed to clean themselves as they drive down the road. Rock popping off as they go. Seen it hundreds of times basically. Kind of a piss off as you know that shit is bouncing all over the lace as they drive.
ARGH
I live in Arizona, a big desert of natural rocks and gravels. Some IDIOTS decided that it would be cool to put even more rocks and gravels as highway side decorations! No wonder Arizona is number 1 in windshield insurance claims in the U.S. Beyond stupid
I would love to see a chart listing the states. 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #12
Chrisk-K
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I would love to see a chart listing the states. ��
Florida is No. 2

https://www.propertycasualty360.com/...20220110122716

Edited to add:
It looks like there a pay wall.

1. AZ
2. FL
3. CA
4. TX
5. NY
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #13
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk-K View Post
Florida is No. 2

https://www.propertycasualty360.com/...20220110122716

Edited to add:
It looks like there a pay wall.

1. AZ
2. FL
3. CA
4. TX
5. NY
They are asking you to register to read the article. Can you paste and copy it here?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:46 PM   #14
Chrisk-K
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
They are asking you to register to read the article. Can you paste and copy it here?
Hmm...they changed something. I'm not registered and now have no access anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #15
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

The windshield on my M is so thin maybe under 3mm,I keep well away from trucks and vans.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      02-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I have STek DynoFlex, and it's a love/ hate relationship. I love the fact that it helps alot with rock chips, especially the little ones that are just enough to make a tick, but not enough to actually crack the window. I had a few on there, before the STek was even installed. AS for clarity, it's noticeable. I dont notice it as much, anymore. It doesn't really impede my driving. I just drove about 35 miles, last night and didn't think about the film being on the window, one time. My friend did ride with me, the first time, the other day, and asked what the hell was wrong with the windshield. Its tinted on the inside with Formula One Stratos, and it has the DynoFlex on the outside, so, there is about $900 worth the film on the windshield.

I had the Dyno installed as part of the full body PPF package, but I believe broken down, the price was around $600. And they know there are some issues with it. They only recommend people getting it on the higher end cars, and subsequently, only charge $400 if it needs to be replaced, outside of warranty. I don't plan on driving my car, in the rain. It's not a daily driver. I also have ceramic coating over the DynoFlex, so, if I happen to get stuck in the rain, its will still just blow water off the window, anyway. I refuse to use wipers on it. I'd give it a 95% clarity rating.

And I go through windshields, like crazy, myself. I go through a minimum of one a year, in my commuters. I have a 21 Accord Touring that's already had a replacement, and has a good size chip, in it, now. Its an impact that deformed the middle layer, but didn't form a crack. And that happened about 3 weeks after I got it replaced. I lived in Phoenix for 10 years, and its a state law that Insurance companies provide $0 deductible windshield coverage. I went through about 6 in 10 years, there. And for California to be number #3, we have 40 million people, here, so that's saying something for Arizona.

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 02-10-2022 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60060.50
      02-10-2022, 07:59 PM   #17
Gabrieles
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2006 318i

Used 2

It's either that I have no idea how to apply it or they just don't work with me xd I gave up but might try it some other time
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 12:59 AM   #18
Stelios619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I have the STek DynoFlex as well, with Nanoflex 50% tint.

The first time it was installed, there was a very visible line directly in my eye line. My installer told me that it’s an issue that STek was aware of, that it’s a great product for protecting against chips, but can be difficult to properly apply it. My installer did a full replacement and it came out 99%. I didn’t notice any clarity issues.

My car is a “mostly” daily (put 20,000 miles on it in a year), so it wasn’t long before I had it tinted. That glass will melt you if you’re just hanging out in your car.

The tint somewhat exasperates any minor flaws in the STek DynoFlex, but it’s not bad whatsoever.

Note: this was installed on a brand new windshield. I had two chips over the course of a week in my original windshield, so I had it replaced. The STek was applied maybe 10 days after.

As far as performance, it definitely works. I’ve had a handful of rocks hit me that I *knew* in my soul had chipped my windshield. Alas, no chips, so far.

Paid $500 for the STek DynoFlex
Paid $175 for the Nanoflex tint.
Appreciate 0