F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW f30 idrive black screen!
proTUNING Freaks

03-12-2024, 05:24 PM   #1
zach12wallence
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i

BMW f30 idrive black screen!

I recently purchased a 2013 bmw 320i with 38k miles. I wanted Bluetooth so I bought a Apple CarPlay radio off someone on Facebook marketplace. At the same time I bought brand new lci headlights since I had original halogens. After installing everything the radio worked fine but the idrive portion was very glitchy and had lines going through the screen. The headlights just had malfunction codes but BimmerCode took them away. Now my screen is completely black and no sound or anything. I took out the CarPlay one and put in my factory. Still nothing. I took out the headlights and still nothing. My car is completely stock again and my idrive will not turn on. I checked every fuse and they all look fine. I really need help. I’m only 18 and I cannot afford taking it to bmw.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:16 PM   #2
SpoolinAddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach12wallence View Post
I recently purchased a 2013 bmw 320i with 38k miles. I wanted Bluetooth so I bought a Apple CarPlay radio off someone on Facebook marketplace. At the same time I bought brand new lci headlights since I had original halogens. After installing everything the radio worked fine but the idrive portion was very glitchy and had lines going through the screen. The headlights just had malfunction codes but BimmerCode took them away. Now my screen is completely black and no sound or anything. I took out the CarPlay one and put in my factory. Still nothing. I took out the headlights and still nothing. My car is completely stock again and my idrive will not turn on. I checked every fuse and they all look fine. I really need help. I’m only 18 and I cannot afford taking it to bmw.
When you took out the head unit and installed carplay, you must have not locked in the hardness all the way. Sometimes it will still "click" even if it's not entirely on.

Since you don't want to go dealership I would stay away from mods like that and especially led etc. I am FBO and installed a led foglight and now dealing with a battery drain issue. Even after going stock. I would just stick to visual mods, lower, wheels etc

It's my 3rd or 4th time at the dealership btw, I wouldn't mind paying 2-3k to fix this issue but if it's gonna be a trial and error thing, I might just get rid of it. Don't want to start changing a bunch of stuff and not for sure know what's killing the battery overnight randomly

Last edited by SpoolinAddict; 03-12-2024 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:26 PM   #3
ErikB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440ix

try holding the power/volume knob in for 30 seconds. It was something like that to reset mine when i had a black screen, with the ignition on.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:21 PM   #4
zach12wallence
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinAddict View Post
When you took out the head unit and installed carplay, you must have not locked in the hardness all the way. Sometimes it will still "click" even if it's not entirely on.

Since you don't want to go dealership I would stay away from mods like that and especially led etc. I am FBO and installed a led foglight and now dealing with a battery drain issue. Even after going stock. I would just stick to visual mods, lower, wheels etc

It's my 3rd or 4th time at the dealership btw, I wouldn't mind paying 2-3k to fix this issue but if it's gonna be a trial and error thing, I might just get rid of it. Don't want to start changing a bunch of stuff and not for sure know what's killing the battery overnight randomly
I’ll give that a try tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:22 PM   #5
zach12wallence
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
try holding the power/volume knob in for 30 seconds. It was something like that to reset mine when i had a black screen, with the ignition on.
I tried that. Got nothing:/
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 02:26 AM   #6
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

If the screen is getting power and no signal, it will say NO SIGNAL

As yours is blank, it sounds like the screen is not getting power.

Do one thing at a time to prevent issues from taking you in all directions.
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      03-19-2024, 10:26 AM   #7
kyon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

What carplay radio did you get?

I just sent back an android head unit because I had the same exact problem. It kept on crashing iDrive which would then just show up a blank screen.

Also the holding volume etc did not work for me, I had to wait for the car to naturally fully power off and iDrive finally came back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 04:20 PM   #8
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

YASBBYM3 is correct. Very likely you are not getting power, so check your cables/connections, and redo them again. Quadlocks can be tricky when closing.

The power/volume button worked on older cars, but not sure if works on the F series.

There is a remote chance that the iDrive firmware got corrupted. If that's the case, there is a slight chance it may recover. Disconnect the battery for 30 mins to couple of hours. Then reconnect and wait couple of hours, or preferably overnight.

If you really want to know what's going on, you need a $10 ENET cable and ISTA+

Or one of the phone app based BMW specific diagnostic setups "may" help you clue in.
      03-21-2024, 12:42 PM   #9
zach12wallence
Rep

Everything started working again randomly. For a few days and now I have no audio. Screen works fine though.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:53 AM   #10
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Check your LVDS cable. Maybe there is a loose connection, a bent pin, or a broken cable wiring inside that intermittently connects and disconnects.