ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-14-2024, 01:33 AM   #1
DQ.MEDIA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

EBC Apollo 6 Brake Review

Hey everyone! My name is Dylan Q, I am an automotive producer & wannabe racer based out of Las Vegas. If you’re a fan of Nitro Circus or Nitrocross Racing, then you’ve probably seen my work! I wanted to do a quick review after 25,000 miles of hard driving through all conditions on my EBC Brake kit!

Okay story time! -> August 2022 I purchased my 2016 F82 M4, this car had the factory steel brakes and with 48,000 miles and wanting to use this car for many things. (rally’s, track days, also my camera chase car) so I had a few options, upgrade to aftermarket / M-Performance CCB’s or rebuild the factory steels.

I reached out to EBC because they had a local distribution center. After discussion with their team, we went with their Apollo Big Brake Kit and Blue Stuff pads.

25k miles in, I am very impressed with the consistency, performance, and overall stopping power compared to the worn factory brakes! Multiple 1000 mile road trips, 4 track days with 3-5 x 15 minute sessions and 1 x 1500 mile Exotic Car Rally that was nothing but hard driving.

I was told by the EBC team I’d feel some differences in the front end due to weight savings. I noticed minor improvements on turn-in and steering (felt a bit sharper and lighter if that makes sense) overall, I am very pleased with my purchase!

If you want to read all my thoughts hit the link! But I will copy & paste one! Thanks for the read! Follow the build on instagram @[DQ.MEDIA]

“The EBC Apollo Brake Kit stands out substantially in a world where one can find themselves DEEP down the rabbit hole of modifications. The Apollo kit comes in at a very appealing price point matched with outstanding performance.”

EBC Brakes x DQ Media
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 10:29 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Another Vegas enthusiast, welcome to the forums and thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:23 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Any details about the kit such as front and/or rear kits, rotor size and thickness, number and diameter of the pistons, pad shape and radial depth, etc.? The only thing in this thread so far is your own personal opinion of the performance of the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:57 PM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Any details about the kit such as front and/or rear kits, rotor size and thickness, number and diameter of the pistons, pad shape and radial depth, etc.? The only thing in this thread so far is your own personal opinion of the performance of the brakes.
https://www.ebcbrakes.com/race-motor...es-bmw-m-cars/

Here's what I can find - don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze over a rebuilt OEM caliper with Girodisc/EBE/etc. rotors. These calipers still have dust boots, so I would anticipate rebuild intervals equivalent to OE.
      04-15-2024, 01:17 PM   #5
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post

Here's what I can find - don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze over a rebuilt OEM caliper with Girodisc/EBE/etc. rotors. These calipers still have dust boots, so I would anticipate rebuild intervals equivalent to OE.
Looks to have some thoughtful features (esp for people who daily drive the car), so seems to have some potential, but website is woefully lacking details.

EBC: If you read this, take a cue from paragonbrakes.com regarding how to create a sufficiently detailed product page for a BBK
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      04-15-2024, 02:09 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I did find it online. However, if you’re providing a review of a product, it at a minimum should include basic details of said product. If it’s a brake kit it should include caliper details, brake rotor details and pad details.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 04:28 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Looks to have some thoughtful features (esp for people who daily drive the car), so seems to have some potential, but website is woefully lacking details.

EBC: If you read this, take a cue from paragonbrakes.com regarding how to create a sufficiently detailed product page for a BBK
They designed a lightweight and strong caliper. Caliper should be a stiffness driven design, isn’t that what you want from a caliper?

They say a bolted on bridge top is stiffer than an integrally-machined bridge top. FEA told them that

They use heat treated castings and almost get forged properties.

Stay away.
Appreciate 0