F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stage 2 93 OTS Map & Datalogs
proTUNING Freaks

04-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #1
BMW DRIVEN
Instagram: @bmwdriven_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Stage 2 93 OTS Map & Datalogs

Hey Tuner Bros,

I am experimenting with different maps and trying to better my understanding of reading datalogs. In this video I try out the Stage 2 93 OTS map.

Check it out!

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DRIVEN View Post
Hey Tuner Bros,

I am experimenting with different maps and trying to better my understanding of reading datalogs. In this video I try out the Stage 2 93 OTS map.

Check it out!
- There's no issue running a 91 custom tune with 93 gas... not sure why you said you can't run that with 93... It's the same reason why, later in the video, PTF told you to run the 91 map with pump 93.
- There no reason at all really to get a custom tune with pump gas or with any fuel (including Emix) with stock HPFP anyways. You're either going to be octane limited or fuel supply limited and the OTS maps already get you there.
- You don't need those colder NGK plugs or a smaller gap with your setup unless for some reason you had issues with stock plugs stock gap
- You aren't supposed to use a feeler gauge to gap this type of plug, you need to wire tool or you can damage the tip.
- Max boost is way before 3500 rpm with stock turbo and you shouldnt get knock from a "traction issue" as you said...
Appreciate 1
harkes1090.00
      05-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #3
BMW DRIVEN
Instagram: @bmwdriven_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Hey Jeremy,

-I don't recall saying you can't run 93 on the 91 map. I remember saying something down the lines that it doesn't seem that "fun". But yes, you can and should run the 91 map using 93 octane if the gas is subpar.

-Agree, if I had to do it again I wouldn't custom tune on a stock hpfp.
-I went with the one step colder plugs because I was planning on running the E30 map.
-I used a wire tool to gap these. Don't you worry.

I appreciate the insight. What tune are you running on your car? Plugs?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DRIVEN View Post
Hey Jeremy,

-I don't recall saying you can't run 93 on the 91 map. I remember saying something down the lines that it doesn't seem that "fun". But yes, you can and should run the 91 map using 93 octane if the gas is subpar.

-Agree, if I had to do it again I wouldn't custom tune on a stock hpfp.
-I went with the one step colder plugs because I was planning on running the E30 map.
-I used a wire tool to gap these. Don't you worry.

I appreciate the insight. What tune are you running on your car? Plugs?
MHD stage 2+ E20 map with E30 fuel (since my pump gas is crappy 91 from CA, i need all the octane i can get). Stock HPFP. Stock plugs, stock gap. I've been on this map for over a year without changing a thing - never reflashed tune, never changed my E% mix, etc - just log occasionally to make sure all is good and test the E% of my fuels every 4 months or so.

You don't need the colder plugs with E30. Very few cars actually need colder plugs / smaller gap, and it can easily be detrimental to make the switch, especially if you frequently take shorter trips with the car and dont have any issues with stock plugs. You want the largest gap possible without issues. Plenty of people are running stock plugs with 20+ psi of boost, higher ethanol mixes, WMI, etc.
Appreciate 1