F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

03-17-2024, 04:19 PM   #12959
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
More user freindly im guessing?
Probably not, but more capable. Protool can code things that bimmercode can't. I have a review that I did for it explaining all of that. You can click the link in my signature and the link for my protool review is there.
      03-17-2024, 05:48 PM   #12960
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Thanks Ill check that out.. Going to attempt to download the esys from Shawnsheridan in a bit.. In the Meantime I pulled the dash apart and and need to confirm wether i have CIC or NBT. still not sure.. its a purple plug 4pin inner 2 pin outer 6pin plug. Thanks fe7565 for the Tips and help getting to this point..

Last edited by ADHD; 03-17-2024 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 05:57 PM   #12961
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Thanks Ill check that out.. Going to attempt to download the esys from Shawnsheridan in a bit.. In the Meantime I pulled the dash apart and have confirmed I have CIC. Thanks fe7565 for the Tips and help getting to this point..
So now that i have that confirmed REAL OEM tells me the 8.8" Screen is Part # 65509292248 for my vehicle.. Im going to order the MMI for CIC And look on ebay for a 8.8" screen. After all the research Im still not sure if i need to swap the HU or not.. so confusing... Can i just go the route mentioned above with minimal coding to achieve carplay on a bigger screen?
May want to check and confirm if your CIC HU is able to do 8.8"

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=486

https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/w...0the%20display.
      03-17-2024, 06:00 PM   #12962
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Thanks Ill check that out.. Going to attempt to download the esys from Shawnsheridan in a bit.. In the Meantime I pulled the dash apart and and need to confirm wether i have CIC or NBT. still not sure.. its a purple plug im looking for diagrams.. Thanks fe7565 for the Tips and help getting to this point..
So now that i have that confirmed REAL OEM tells me the 8.8" Screen is Part # 65509292248 for my vehicle.. Im going to order the MMI for CIC And look on ebay for a 8.8" screen. After all the research Im still not sure if i need to swap the HU or not.. so confusing... Can i just go the route mentioned above with minimal coding to achieve carplay on a bigger screen?
esys should work fine, the only time I needed protool or a newer esys launcher was when I couldn't access my GHAS and EPS module for f87cs settings because my istep was too new and not mapped by the older launchers.
      03-17-2024, 06:10 PM   #12963
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
well that link just confirmed I might have a hybrid..ANd Shawn sheridan Confirmed it..
But this system is not a purely CIC system, it is known as HU_ENTRY and is also available in F3x vehicles without navigation. These systems have 6 pin LVDS displays.
Some things i found as well ON HU ENTRY..
..Hu entry can't be coded for the bigger screen if it came with 6.5
..You would have to upgrade to nbt or newer

My pin is a purple 4pin plug with 2 pin outside of it. NBT plug

I may just have to get the ANDREAM Head unit Screen and skip the MMI box..Anyone here used the ANDREAM Screen?

Last edited by ADHD; 03-17-2024 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 06:26 PM   #12964
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well that link just confirmed I might have a hybrid..
But this system is not a purely CIC system, it is known as HU_ENTRY and is also available in F3x vehicles without navigation. These systems have 6 pin LVDS displays.

My pin is a purple 4pin plug with 2 pin outside of it??? Will i still order the CIC MMI box?
Let the seller (Andream or Road Top) know what you have and they should know. Also ask them if the MMI firmware is able to use full-Bluetooth audio vs the AUX-IN.
NBT and EVO MMI's now have that firmware, and I believe Road Top has CUST version "ltcichl_n客户版CHLR174" for CIC MMIs that does full-Bluetooth audio, but do not know if Andream has one for CICs.
      03-17-2024, 07:47 PM   #12965
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Let the seller (Andream or Road Top) know what you have and they should know. Also ask them if the MMI firmware is able to use full-Bluetooth audio vs the AUX-IN.
NBT and EVO MMI's now have that firmware, and I believe Road Top has CUST version "ltcichl_n客户版CHLR174" for CIC MMIs that does full-Bluetooth audio, but do not know if Andream has one for CICs.
i put an email into ANdream prob get a response tommorrow. Seems my cheapest option might just be to get the andream 10' screen.. found a thread on em seem like they do the job...
      03-17-2024, 11:12 PM   #12966
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i put an email into ANdream prob get a response tommorrow. Seems my cheapest option might just be to get the andream 10' screen.. found a thread on em seem like they do the job...
That would be the cheapest and easiest. Plug and play.

But be careful with the android screens. Their huge drawback is that they have a mirror like glare. Even the newer anti-glare coated ones. The Chinese are just not willing to invest some decent money into good screens.

I bought one a while back and after a week I could not stand it anymore. Looking daily at my OEM screen now I’m very glad I did stay with OEM.

There is a thread “Android 11 / 12 / 13” and you can ask there (Red Erik et al) if anything changed.
      03-17-2024, 11:28 PM   #12967
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
That would be the cheapest and easiest. Plug and play.

But be careful with the android screens. Their huge drawback is that they have a mirror like glare. Even the newer anti-glare coated ones. The Chinese are just not willing to invest some decent money into good screens.

I bought one a while back and after a week I could not stand it anymore. Looking daily at my OEM screen now I’m very glad I did stay with OEM.

There is a thread “Android 11 / 12 / 13” and you can ask there (Red Erik et al) if anything changed.
Iv seen dome comments in the glare thing. Im usually driving in dark either way so it might not even bother me it could be worth a shot.
And After further research it looks like the way to go is to full evo on the HU swap from HUENTRY if i was to go oem
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 06:10 AM   #12968
Dnavarroc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d (F11)

Hi all,
Promissed I burned my eyes reading and I can’t decide between the box, the embedded or the stand screen options for my F11 with professional navigation, that’s the 8.8” screen.
I believe the embedded screen is the easiest and safest, since I saw multiple comments complaining on glares on the big stand screen.
I think the embedded would upgrade my set with CarPlay and touch screen, which won’t come with the box only option.
My concern is if the embedded screen quality would be similar than original 8.8” in terms of resolution and bright / glares.
Any thoughts to help me decide???
Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:52 AM   #12969
Krenforum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Hello,

I can give you my advice. I have F31 with 6.5 screen. I read all the forum topics regarding the stand alone screen and MMI unit.

I went with oem upgrade 8.8 screen and MMI. And I am really happy about it, because it is very fast. When I start car, carplay loads really fast.
My friend bought android screen, it is true that you get touchscreen, but when the screen loads my stomach hurts, ugly logos. It is not fast, it is made as a tablet with android where you can install apps and carplay is only as addition. And because of that it is slower.
It is not that well customized, but hey you get touchscreen 😀
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2024, 09:07 AM   #12970
Dnavarroc
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenforum View Post
Hello,

I can give you my advice. I have F31 with 6.5 screen. I read all the forum topics regarding the stand alone screen and MMI unit.

I went with oem upgrade 8.8 screen and MMI. And I am really happy about it, because it is very fast. When I start car, carplay loads really fast.
My friend bought android screen, it is true that you get touchscreen, but when the screen loads my stomach hurts, ugly logos. It is not fast, it is made as a tablet with android where you can install apps and carplay is only as addition. And because of that it is slower.
It is not that well customized, but hey you get touchscreen 😀
That’s a good point, would regret if I see it taking ages to start the screen.

I saw the Andream option, but there’s some others like the Road Top, which can be ordered to Amazon, but I think all those boxes are basically the same just rebranded.

Many Thanks!!! Really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 01:29 PM   #12971
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnavarroc View Post
That’s a good point, would regret if I see it taking ages to start the screen.

I saw the Andream option, but there’s some others like the Road Top, which can be ordered to Amazon, but I think all those boxes are basically the same just rebranded.

Many Thanks!!! Really appreciated.
There is no primary brand for these MMI’s. Based on the first page information, these are made by one Chinese company and then purchased by various sellers and distributors.

One of these sellers/distributors is Andream, another is Road Top, Carlinkit, Bimmertech, a few in Europe as well, etc.

When you make a decision which one to purchase you need a seller/distributor that provides active and reliable follow-up support and firmware updates. In the $200-$300 price point, the only sellers/distributors in America that are worth to purchase from based on feedback on this forum: Andream and Road Top.
      03-20-2024, 01:39 PM   #12972
Dnavarroc
Registered
Rep

Quote:
There is no primary brand for these MMI’s. Based on the first page information, these are made by one Chinese company and then purchased by various sellers and distributors.

One of these sellers/distributors is Andream, another is Road Top, Carlinkit, Bimmertech, a few in Europe as well, etc.

When you make a decision which one to purchase you need a seller/distributor that provides active and reliable follow-up support and firmware updates. In the $200-$300 price point, the only sellers/distributors in America that are worth to purchase from based on feedback on this forum: Andream and Road Top.
Thanks!
Finally I’ve made a decision to Road Top, since it’s distributed by Amazon in my country, so It should be safer in terms of retuning policy and support.
I hope to have some time next week, Easter, and install it.

Thanks for the answers!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 06:29 PM   #12973
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
I went ahead and went with the Roadtop MMI unit.. it was 210$ compared to 245$ andream I figured its worth waiting the extra time from china but I just got a UPS tracking from New Jersey itll be west coast in 4/5 days.. Ive read up and down and side to side on the topic and Staying OEM might be a bit of headache but it looks like its worth it in the end... On another note on coding I ended up with the Veapeak unit on amazon for 20$ and spent the 49$ for the bimmercode app Full version.. I spent over an hour reading the ESYS instructions and relized that was way too much time and it was going to take more time so for 70$ Im happy It starts in ECO mode with the Auto start OFF. I honestly didnt even get past the 7zip part it wasnt extracting shit....
      03-20-2024, 06:33 PM   #12974
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went ahead and went with the Roadtop MMI unit.. it was 210$ compared to 245$ andream I figured its worth waiting the extra time from china but I just got a UPS tracking from New Jersey itll be west coast in 4/5 days.. Ive read up and down and side to side on the topic and Staying OEM might be a bit of headache but it looks like its worth it in the end... On another note on coding I ended up with the Veapeak unit on amazon for 20$ and spent the 49$ for the bimmercode app Full version.. I spent over an hour reading the ESYS instructions and relized that was way too much time and it was going to take more time so for 70$ Im happy It starts in ECO mode with the Auto start OFF. I honestly didnt even get past the 7zip part it wasnt extracting shit....
Glad things are coming together for you. It is definitely a learning curve with coding and the MMI too. But well worth it IMHO.
      03-20-2024, 06:44 PM   #12975
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Glad things are coming together for you. It is definitely a learning curve with coding and the MMI too. But well worth it IMHO.
Oh ya.... If im getting all this though.. you went from CIC to NBTEVO 10" screen with a Full HU Swap im guessing? So Im guessing you Had HU_CIC if your in a 2012?
I did find a 8.8" screen that REALOEM says came on my year and model so I could try to just swap the screen and see if a basic coding works before I attempt the Full Swap to 10" if the Hu swap is necessary..
      03-20-2024, 06:49 PM   #12976
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh ya.... If im getting all this though.. you went from CIC to NBTEVO 10" screen with a Full HU Swap im guessing? So Im guessing you Had HU_CIC if your in a 2012?
I did find a 8.8" screen that REALOEM says came on my year and model so I could try to just swap the screen and see if a basic coding works before I attempt the Full Swap to 10" if the Hu swap is necessary..
I went from CIC HU with 6-pin single-din no Nav to NBT (not NBT EVO). Then I replaced the 6.5" screen with an OEM 10" screen from an F15 BMW. The CIC to NBT process is quite a bit involved, at least it was for me, had many moving pieces and dependencies.

Last edited by fe7565; 03-20-2024 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:08 PM   #12977
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
I went from CIC HU with 6-pin single-din no Nav to NBT (not NBT EVO). Then I replaced the 6.5" screen with an OEM 10" screen from an F15 BMW. The CIC to NBT process is quite a bit involved, at least it was for me, had many moving pieces and dependencies.

Quote:
YASBBYM3 made some very good points. Most of your options will depend on your own inclination to spend time learning coding and retrofitting parts, mostly by searching forums. Lots of time.
As a newbie, on my 2012 F30 I went from CIC HU/Entry with no Nav and 6.5" screen and 5-button iDrive controller to NBT HU prof nav, with 10.25" F15 screen and touch control with handwriting (which I never ever used). It was a weeks and months long project, including bottom-feeding on Ebay and Aliexpress for parts. Total about $500. $100 NBT HU; $200 F15 10.25" screen, 7-button idirve controller $50; NBT HU emulator $60; touch control ECU $30; cables/wiring $40. Doing it now, with all the parts already together, would take me about 1 day vs the weeks/months before.

There are DIYs' guides for almost everything, but you have to piece them together from various unrelated posts in several forums. So if you embark on the DIY path, do it because you enjoy it otherwise it will frustrate you and wish you would have just spent the (big) bucks instead.
Figured id add your post here for anyone else inquiring....

Also Did u ever plug an 8' screen into the CIC HU to see if it worked with the MMI? or just went direct to the NBT HU

Last edited by ADHD; 03-20-2024 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:28 PM   #12978
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did u ever try to put a oem 8" screen that came on your car? or just straight to the 10" so u had to do the HU swap?
I did the HU swap, because I did not have navigation. I did not know at that time that an MMI existed. I installed an Android 10" and after a week I had enough of the glare.

The F15 10" OEM screen was $220 on EBay and getting it for same cost or less than an 8" is a no brainer.

I wanted touch screen initially, but it requires a lot more hardware retrofit and not worth the marginal convenience. I installed a touch iDrive controller and it's useless (at least for an NBT setup). Also, easier to sit back and use the controller than to keep leaning forward messing with the touch screen. Maybe, if BMW would have located the screen closer to the seats.
      03-20-2024, 07:42 PM   #12979
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
I did the HU swap, because I did not have navigation. I did not know at that time that an MMI existed. I installed an Android 10" and after a week I had enough of the glare.

The F15 10" OEM screen was $220 on EBay and getting it for same cost or less than an 8" is a no brainer.

I wanted touch screen initially, but it requires a lot more hardware retrofit and not worth the marginal convenience. I installed a touch iDrive controller and it's useless (at least for an NBT setup). Also, easier to sit back and use the controller than to keep leaning forward messing with the touch screen. Maybe, if BMW would have located the screen closer to the seats.
Got it.. THank you for breaking that down.. Makes complete sense now..

I get that the 10' screen is same price im just really curious if thats where the HU Swap is necessary.. Considering my car came with a 8" screen on realoem u think its possible to just got to the 8" with minor coding?

And yes the touchscreen in my 540i is completly useless. we just use the controller as well.. I would luv to have same screen in the daily but looks like the 8" might be the first option. might be worth a 100$ gamble...
      03-20-2024, 08:03 PM   #12980
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it.. THank you for breaking that down.. Makes complete sense now..

I get that the 10' screen is same price im just really curious if thats where the HU Swap is necessary.. Considering my car came with a 8" screen on realoem u think its possible to just got to the 8" with minor coding?

And yes the touchscreen in my 540i is completly useless. we just use the controller as well.. I would luv to have same screen in the daily but looks like the 8" might be the first option. might be worth a 100$ gamble...
I believe some of the CIC HUs are not able to support the higher resolution of the 8" screen (or higher). There are some transitional HU models between CCC and NBT. But worth to try coding first.