F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Convertible Tops
ARMA SPEED

07-21-2023, 09:33 AM   #1
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster

Convertible Tops

Is it just me, or is it a truism that all convertibles tops will fail at some point in a car's lifetime? My case in point is that I owned a Mercedes and now a BMW and both of these car's convertible tops have failed. I don't know if this happens more to soft tops versus hard-top convertibles. If I purchase another convertible, I'll make damn sure it's an old-school convertible where I can manually operate it.

What say you?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
The issues with a top not working often times is caused by leaking rod seals in the convertible top hydraulic cylinders. This happens because of age and/ or constant exposure to a high heat outdoor environment. After 14 years I had to replace the hydraulic cylinders on a 2004 CLK500 and they only failed after I moved from NYC where it was garaged to hot and sunny Florida where I had to park it outdoors and it was exposed to the elements 24/7.

Malfunctions can be expected to happen with convertible tops the same way other parts on a car need to be repaired/ replaced.

In some ways this is similar to our body parts that start to fail us when we get older. I just had cataract surgery performed and my vision is better than ever!

Last edited by Westside Guy; 07-21-2023 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #3
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

I'm going more generic. Every car part will fail at some point; convertible roof, window regulator, taillights, parking brake, etc. If not this one, another will.

In 18 years of owning convertible tops, they never gave a single problem. But pretty much everything else did.
      07-21-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I was silly because I didn't account for that when buying my car. Knock wood the roof has been great but I fear one day who knows? Supposedly there's not much preventative measures one can take but I found it ironic that ppl who rarely used them (thinking that it may extend the life) seem to get more trouble since the lines weren't regularly flushed and they went on to crack.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 05:35 PM   #5
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I was silly because I didn't account for that when buying my car. Knock wood the roof has been great but I fear one day who knows? Supposedly there's not much preventative measures one can take but I found it ironic that ppl who rarely used them (thinking that it may extend the life) seem to get more trouble since the lines weren't regularly flushed and they went on to crack.
I was told by a local mechanic down here in Florida that you are better off using the top on a regular basis than not using it because the seals will dry out and leak from lack of of use. He also told me that there are some well known suppliers of refurbished hydraulic cylinders that are less expensive and their seals will last longer than buying new OEM cylinders. Finally, he said that if one or two cylinders fail you are better off replacing all of them because the others will follow shortly.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 07:47 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I was told by a local mechanic down here in Florida that you are better off using the top on a regular basis than not using it because the seals will dry out and leak from lack of of use. He also told me that there are some well known suppliers of refurbished hydraulic cylinders that are less expensive and their seals will last longer than buying new OEM cylinders. Finally, he said that if one or two cylinders fail you are better off replacing all of them because the others will follow shortly.
Your mechanic is right I believe, that's what I heard and it does make sense.

So, yup, it's kinda ironic for some ppl thinking they are 'saving' their rooftops by using them less and they end up running into trouble.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2023, 07:38 AM   #7
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Your mechanic is right I believe, that's what I heard and it does make sense.

So, yup, it's kinda ironic for some ppl thinking they are 'saving' their rooftops by using them less and they end up running into trouble.
Initially my reaction was exactly the same as yours and I agree with you that this approach does make sense.
Appreciate 1