E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need advice: new CPO, 3 months, constant issues. Stalled on Bay Bridge

06-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
chemist_slime
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5 35d

Need advice: new CPO, 3 months, constant issues. Stalled on Bay Bridge

Hi guys/gals,
I've been a fan of the 335i series since it's debut in '07 and finally bought a CPO '07 335i coupe from Weatherford BMW, CA 3 months ago. After driving it for about a month, small issues here and there began happening and continue to happen.

-Leaking oil
-Long cranks upon engine start
-Front bulb went out
-Right side mirror clicks when folding in
-Sunroof creaks when fully open
-Clicking/creaking sound on passenger side somewhere <--- so annoying
-Brakes squeal even when I'm not braking

AND THEN, YESTERDAY, at 1:00 AM while I was crossing the Bay Bridge, the car stalled on the bridge. While driving onto the ramp and past the toll booth, a yellow wavy indicator light showed up, then turned red (see picture below) and the car just lost power. I'm not talking about just losing power in that it would still move forward, I'm talking about complete power loss! I immediately, and carefully, looking back and left for cars speeding by proceeded to pull over to the left side of the bridge which luckily had some construction going on and had coned off a lane. I can't even imagine what would have happened if there wasn't a coned off lane, jeez.

I then proceeded to call BMW road-side assistance who then told me to call 911 due to the unsafe nature of the situation so I did. Within 2 minutes, a cop car pulled up behind me and asked me what was wrong. Interestingly, the red indicator light had turned off by now and the car would start/run again?! WTF?!?! I felt like a dumb ass. At that time, I didn't really want to drive anymore in fear that it would stall again with no place for me to "park" this time. So the CHP followed behind me as I slowly drove onto Treasure Island (an island that the bridge goes through) and just parked in a parking lot and called bmw assist again to schedule a tow.

It took about 20 minutes for me to just find out where I was. Luckily, the tow truck came pretty quick and dropped my car off at Weatherford and gave me a lift home.

This morning, I got a call from Gary at Weatherford at 7:10 AM (at least they're quick about this) who seemed to be quite a good listener. I then later drove there at around 2 PM to see what's up and they were just telling me that it could be a water pump issue, or a fuel pump issue and the car was also reprogrammed. Another piece of note I forgot to mention earlier, that same day, I got my car back from service and this disaster happened the same evening!

At this point, I've seriously lost confidence in my BMW. I don't even want to get behind the wheel again. It was such a joy to drive when it worked but it's not worth the hassle/danger. I'm hoping to get some sound advice: What are my options here? Lemon? Trade up? Perhaps something else?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
chemist_slime
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5 35d

Pictures wouldn't load on first post in safari.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like HPFP to me. Well, hopefully you have been updated to the newest HPFP and you should have no more problems. This is actually quite common for the 335i.
      06-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianSensation View Post
Sounds like HPFP to me. Well, hopefully you have been updated to the newest HPFP and you should have no more problems. This is actually quite common for the 335i.
dunno about the car shutting down completely being common....but yes I hope your issues are resolved after the hpfp swap out.
Appreciate 0