E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328xi opinions

View Poll Results: 07 328xi VS 05 Evo VII
07 328xi 49 90.74%
05 Evo VII 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

01-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom92 View Post
well to all the people who question my statement about none 4x4 cars being worthless, you guys dont live where i do, i live on a mountain, my mom has a civic that cant make it up the hill that connects my street to the main road if there is any snow at all, along with my dads ram 2500 unless 4x4 is activated, my current car (4x4 jeep) and my brothers awd avenger are the only cars that always work in the snow around here, and they can't plow by me as the road is to steep, thus making anything that is not awd or at least a slip engaged 4x4, worthless for me as i must commute to college and work
I think I have the same terrain as you, my driveway is straight up and when you get to the top, you have to go either up or down a large twisty hill. My 328xi with snow tires is the only vehicle that can make it up or down the hill in icy/snowy conditions out of the 7 vehicles here, without any problem.

Once you get on the flatter roads though, I agree, RWD drive would be okay, but getting out or getting home, I'd be dead without AWD and the "duck" button to walk me back down without crashing through a shed and into a creek at the botom of my driveway.
      01-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #24
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

This is an odd comparison. AWD is about the only thing these two cars have in common; otherwise they are on opposite sides of the spectrum. The 328 is sporty but focuses on smoothness and luxury, whereas the EVO is a road racer but skimps on luxury.

I cast my vote for the 328i because it's a better real world, day-to-day car. But maybe you should more carefully consider what you're looking for in a car because, again, it seems strange to cross-shop these two.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #25
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

I live on top of a 950 ft hill in northwestern CT. Our area has a microclimate that often produces snow at our elevation when there’s little or no accumulation in town. I also drive to/from Albany, NY on the Taconic Parkway several times a month. I have Dunlop WinterSport M3 Tires on my RWD 323i and Dunlop SP WinterSport 3D tires on my RWD 335i. I've never gotten stuck in 10 years of winter driving with a good set of snow tires on my RWD BMWs. It must also be noted that Germans somehow manage to drive RWD cars in the winter (and they have some pretty big mountains there too).

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 01-15-2010 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I'd be dead without AWD and the "duck" button .
I thought I was the only one who called it that!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #27
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
I live on top of a 950 ft hill in northwestern CT. Our area has a microclimate that often produces snow at our elevation when there’s little or no accumulation in town. I also drive to/from Albany, NY on the Taconic Parkway several times a month. I have Dunlop WinterSport M3 Tires on my RWD 323i and Dunlop SP WinterSport 3D tires on my RWD 335i. I've never gotten stuck in 10 years of winter driving with a good set of snow tires on my RWD BMWs. It must also be noted that Germans somehow manage to drive RWD cars in the winter (and they have some pretty big mountains there too).
You're a better man than most of us.
      01-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #28
Custom92
Rep
Drives: jeep

Quote:
My vote is "none of the above".

Why do you want an xi? My advice is to get a RWD 328i with 6MT and ZSP. I live in CT and own three RWD BMWs. Get a good set of snow tires and forget about all wheel drive. The so-called Sport Package on an xi has bigger wheels and sport seats, there's no suspension tuning. The xi's suspension and performance are inferior to RWD BMWs.
well i hate to point out the obvious fact, but you still DONT LIVE WHERE I DO, but i mean i guess you might not agree, but even if the rwd works well on the road, i still dont think that it is very useful if you can't even get out of the driveway, thats why i i want an xi
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #29
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

OP:

I have a 08 xi e92...almost fully loaded (-pdc, and rear shade)

Pros: Sport package is awesome, mainly just for the seats itself. Premium is nice for bluetooth mainly, and auto dimming mirrors is awesome for nighttime. Audio is nice, if your not a bass person. Comfort access is great, only down side is i forget which bottoms i left it in. I-drive is okay, the new one is better but then the old one isn't too bad, if your familar with navs already(poi does suck tho, but then i never really use it.). Awesome trunk space.

Cons: if you have passengers, the e92 sucks. I really really hate lifting seats and stuff to get people in(for awhile i was bringing my niece to school and the seating just sucked). Wheel gap sucks, but then when/if you get heavy snow on unplowed roads, it's great(my roads don't get plowed until everyone is off, and my neighborhood roads don't get plowed at all most of the time due to new housing area)

Idk, what else do you want to know? Alot of people are right when they say a RWD can do alot with winter tires, and i could probably do with RWD. But i also go snowboarding alot so having RWD doesn't work too much for me. Also when driving RWD in winter, you have to be alot more careful. Whereas in AWD, i drive exactly the same as i do in winters taking the same turns at same speeds and everything is fine. I also have winter tires too so traction is awesome.

As far as power goes, the Xi has balls. But do you really need it? I only say this, i like to launch at stay under 2.2k rpms from stop and go anyways. I could always rev like crazy and take off faster, but i just see it as a waste of gas, and heck if your doing this in local, your gonna have to hit the brakes that much sooner (and more) and cut left and right. On the freeways, it's still great power. I don't know why people complain about power and all, but heck last i check the highest speed limit in the country is 75 on interstates. And a hybrid car can do that easy, surely a i6 shouldn't be having problems in that field.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #30
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylekuu View Post
OP:
As far as power goes, the Xi has balls. But do you really need it? I only say this, i like to launch at stay under 2.2k rpms from stop and go anyways. I could always rev like crazy and take off faster, but i just see it as a waste of gas, and heck if your doing this in local, your gonna have to hit the brakes that much sooner (and more) and cut left and right. On the freeways, it's still great power. I don't know why people complain about power and all, but heck last i check the highest speed limit in the country is 75 on interstates. And a hybrid car can do that easy, surely a i6 shouldn't be having problems in that field.

Agreed, my 325i had plenty of power for me, and that's why I'm "only" looking for an E92 328i and not a 335i. The majority of my driving is on pothole laden roads on which I wouldn't want to speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong
If you need the car to accelerate faster off a red light or merging into oncoming traffic then maybe you shouldn't be merging into traffic at that time.

+1,000. However in the case that I accidentally pull out in front of someone, power isn't a bad thing.

Not that I've ever done that or anything.
      01-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #31
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I'll start by saying this is community dominated by 335 drivers. Some consider their cars to be the best thing since sliced bread and will throw low-blows to the 328 and it's "lowly status". Keep that in mind when reading the responses here.

To answer your question directly: it's not slow, but it's not the beast that is the 335. A 328i with 6MT will do 0-60 in 6s flat, even slightly under depending on who you ask. I believe both C&D and Edmunds reviewed it at 5.9s. I think the car is significantly better with the 6MT - the AT seems to sap a bit of life out of the engine (and will probably cost you ~0.5s 0-60).

You need to go drive one for yourself and do your homework first. Any review shows the 328 right around 6s, so start by reading up.

Sport Package (ZSP) includes sport seats, sport steering wheel (slightly thicker than stock), upgraded wheels, and shadowline (black) trim around the windows. If you get a non-Xi, it also gives you the sport suspension. xDrive cars have their own unique suspension setup as it is, so opting for ZSP doesn't change anything.

There are very few (read: pretty much zero) engine modifications for the NA engine. Air filter, intake, and exhaust are certainly do-able, but you won't be getting much more power from the car regardless of what you do. Remember, this is not a car built for straight line speed. The 3 Series is about as balanced as it gets with perfect weight distribution - the smooth power delivery and excellent chassis make the car a blast in the twisties. If you want raw horsepower and muscle, you might want to look elsewhere.
+10. This is all you need to know. jopa gives great info.

If you want the xi, get it - it's all good.
      01-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #32
alam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i

So if sport suspension is not tuned, not lower for Xi, is taking corner in the summer not as good as X? My 325i was wrecked and i'm looking for a 328, either i or Xi. I loved doing corner in my 325i sport pack.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #33
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well i hate to point out the obvious fact, but you still DONT LIVE WHERE I DO, but i mean i guess you might not agree, but even if the rwd works well on the road, i still dont think that it is very useful if you can't even get out of the driveway, thats why i i want an xi
Read my post #25...
      01-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #34
Custom92
Rep

Quote:
Read my post #25...
um, dont you think i did that before i made my previous comment?, i'll try one more time for you, IT WILL NOT MAKE IT OUT TO THE MAIN STREET BY MY HOUSE, this has absolutely nothing to do with where you live
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #35
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

If you really want the most out of your car definitely go with a 6MT, RWD, ZSP 328.

That's the absolute best you can do. I know the living conditions suck where you are and you might need an xi, but I would try to get by with RWD and a good set of snow tires for the tough seasons.

+1000 to Jopa, he pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post.
      01-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #36
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
jopa, this question is directed at you, i believe your 328 has the sport package, if you could have only gotten one without it, would it have caused you to not get it?
Since my car has xDrive, the only aspect of ZSP that caught my attention were the sport seats - they're fantastic, and I think almost everyone here will tell you the same. Not that the standard seats are poor, but the ZSP seats are among the most comfortable car seats I've ever experienced. Because I wanted xDrive, I knew the car would not have the sport suspension anyway.

I do think ZSP is worth it for the seats alone, even in an xDrive car. Getting 17" wheels is nice too (even though I keep those for the winter and use 18" wheels in the summer) - 16" come standard on E90's without ZSP and they're too small in my opinion. Again, that's a non-issue if you plan to get some OEM 18" or after market wheels anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
If you really want the most out of your car definitely go with a 6MT, RWD, ZSP 328.

That's the absolute best you can do. I know the living conditions suck where you are and you might need an xi, but I would try to get by with RWD and a good set of snow tires for the tough seasons.

+1000 to Jopa, he pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post.
And I agree with that too, a RWD 6MT 328 with ZSP is a damn near perfect car. You definitely don't need xDrive for winter. I live on a hill with a relatively steep driveway and the E90 is my daily driver - that's why I opted for it. Can't beat xDrive in the winter months around here.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #37
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
<snip> sport seats - they're fantastic, and I think almost everyone here will tell you the same. Not that the standard seats are poor, but the ZSP seats are among the most comfortable car seats I've ever experienced. <snip>

I do think ZSP is worth it for the seats alone, even in an xDrive car.<snip>

I wouldn't want to buy another E9x without sport seats. Once I got mine adjusted properly (there's a thread about this somewhere), they felt fantastic.
      01-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #38
DZ153
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i xDrive

I've owned a 325xi for a little under 3 years and it has never disappointed me. The power is more than enough and the straight six is so smooth. Also, it performs beautifully in the snow because I (thankfully) got the xi option..

Also, IMO you shouldn't be comparing the bmw and the mitsu.. BMW - luxury sports sedan
evo - rally car
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #39
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
um, dont you think i did that before i made my previous comment?, i'll try one more time for you, IT WILL NOT MAKE IT OUT TO THE MAIN STREET BY MY HOUSE, this has absolutely nothing to do with where you live
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I understand completely now. I should have wrote that people with average driving skills or better should have little or no difficulty handling winter driving conditions in a RWD BMW with a good set of snow tires. I apologize for the confusion.
      01-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #40
Custom92
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I understand completely now. I should have wrote that people with average driving skills or better should have little or no difficulty handling winter driving conditions in a RWD BMW with a good set of snow tires. I apologize for the confusion.
well you know i must agree, you are a better man than us, its amazing you can drive so well with your head so far up your ass
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #41
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
well you know i must agree, you are a better man than us, its amazing you can drive so well with your head so far up your ass
At least he wouldn't drown in my creek where he'd most likely land with his RWD,snows and perfect driving skills. I've heard some asses hold more air than passenger cabins do when submerged.
      01-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #42
Custom92
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
At least he wouldn't drown in my creek where he'd most likely land with his RWD,snows and perfect driving skills. I've heard some asses hold more air than passenger cabins do when submerged.
+100
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #43
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

GO to canada and you'll see most cars with snow tires and are not AWD.

Proper winter tire is better than AWD with all seasons. Put a proper tire on your mom's civic and she'll climb trees with it. They are that important.

I think its one thing to shop via statistics and another to actually drive the car.

I just bought my daughter a 4cyl used Mazda 6 with 5MT. It "only" has 156hp!, and I don't know the 0-60, but the car is plenty quick, gets great fuel ecnomy and I can't get no front end torque to tell me its FWD! Cars are that good now!

My point is if I shopped by stats alone it would appear the Mazda is slow.
The 335 is world class fast, but the 328i is really quite good and you won't be lacking for anything.

Get mom some snows and consider Non X-drive but if you do go the X route, and its a hell of a car, do put a winter tire on it. Don't make the mistake of over confidence that AWD offers without the proper traction.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #44
edski
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328 Xi

I just got a 2011 328xi manual transmission with sport package. When I picked up my car, there was another 328xi beside it WITHOUT sport package -> the 328xi with SP has a lowered suspension.

the car may not have a sports suspension but it is lowered
just something to note

The car is no slouch by any sense of the word, and it handles like a beauty around corners, have not driven it too much in wet weather as there has not been too much rain this summer where I live.
Appreciate 0