EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #111
nmurray22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Is the dog a Boston Terrier or French Bulldog?
She is a French Bulldog, her name is Tui.

You can see her getting a driving lesson in the M4 here

http://youtu.be/SXsw-UseOiM?list=PLL...Xk0tWx5kHEH8hz
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #112
nmurray22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Excellent review nick!

So how's your experience been with DCT so far? Are you hearing any "click" sounds like in the other posts/threads?

Any M Performance goodies planned for your car?

I'm getting a SO M3 and you've just confirmed my decision on colour; looks absolutely amazing! Thanks!

No problems with the DCT so far. I like how the BMW DCT does not engage until you press on the gas. In the VW/Audi/Porsche DCT it engages as soon as you release the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #113
nmurray22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell View Post
This makes me ask, Nick, how are those Silverstone seats holding up? I wanted to go that route, but was scared of ruining them since I wear blue or black jeans everyday.
So far no problem but I guess early days yet!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #114
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Nick,

Thank you for the comprehensive reviews...they are invaluable for those of us considering a purchase. I am looking at the M3 vs a new 911 C4S in an area with pretty good winters/snow. Your reviews have helped a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #115
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmurray22
Quote:
Excellent review nick!

So how's your experience been with DCT so far? Are you hearing any "click" sounds like in the other posts/threads?

Any M Performance goodies planned for your car?

I'm getting a SO M3 and you've just confirmed my decision on colour; looks absolutely amazing! Thanks!

No problems with the DCT so far. I like how the BMW DCT does not engage until you press on the gas. In the VW/Audi/Porsche DCT it engages as soon as you release the brakes.
Thx Nick!

This will be my first DCT car and I'm a little worried with all the reviews out there. Namely two things.

1.) there's some sort of odd sound being reported when the car stops. Have u heard this?

2.) there no "P" for park! So how do u park the car? It's automatically done when the car stops?
      08-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #116
nodnarb
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 50i & i3 -GONE:335iE90&F25

You are SO RIGHT about the volume and track selection buttons/wheel. It's silly and backwards.

Great video!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #117
nmurray22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thx Nick!

This will be my first DCT car and I'm a little worried with all the reviews out there. Namely two things.

1.) there's some sort of odd sound being reported when the car stops. Have u heard this?

2.) there no "P" for park! So how do u park the car? It's automatically done when the car stops?

1) I wonder if people are just hearing drivetrain clunks. It is a long drive shaft and it has some play in it, that is perfectly normal.

2) Yes don't get me started on how annoying the auto 'Park' mode is. It is supposed to go into park when you turn off the engine. This happens about 70% of the time for me, maybe I am doing something wrong I don't know. I have tried foot on brake foot off brake, safety belt on or off, door open or closed, manual mode or automatic. I just can not get it to go into park every time.

Then if it does not go into park you need to remove your foot from the brake and hit the start/stop button again. If you are still on the brake the car will start again.

Maybe someone else has worked out the logic of this stupid system.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #118
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brisance View Post
Nice video, but please… change your hands' positioning on the steering wheel! Nothing makes me cringe than to see someone in a performance car have his hands in the 11-1 o'clock position. There are a few reasons why having them at 9-3 or 10-2 are the best:

1) Hands are apart allowing you to react faster to emergency situations.
2) If you get into a crash you're not going to have your face smash into your arms.
Thanks for the lecture Mr. Safety. I'm sure Nick is ever so grateful for your insightful advice. Now please chill out.
dude get off his dick. the hand position saying is true. sometimes you have to let go in order to straighten the car out during a skid.

and in the hooning section of his video. i didnt see evidence of a complete controlled drift. hes just spinning out everywhere. cant talk about driving at the "limit" when you cant pull off a great skid.

while the other youtube auto journalists out there are....
You should chill out as well...this guy is a car enthusiast, not a professional drifter or racecar driver. I'm sure that he has driven long enough that he is aware of proper hand placement on the steering wheel...but it's really not necessary for you or anyone else to start lecturing him on his so called "improper" driving techniques.

This guy took time out of his personal life to put together a video and share his experiences with us. Why you are looking for "evidence" of a complete controlled drift in this kind of video is beyond my comprehension.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #119
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brisance View Post
Nice video, but please change your hands' positioning on the steering wheel! Nothing makes me cringe than to see someone in a performance car have his hands in the 11-1 o'clock position. There are a few reasons why having them at 9-3 or 10-2 are the best:

1) Hands are apart allowing you to react faster to emergency situations.
2) If you get into a crash you're not going to have your face smash into your arms.
Thanks for the lecture Mr. Safety. I'm sure Nick is ever so grateful for your insightful advice. Now please chill out.
dude get off his dick. the hand position saying is true. sometimes you have to let go in order to straighten the car out during a skid.

and in the hooning section of his video. i didnt see evidence of a complete controlled drift. hes just spinning out everywhere. cant talk about driving at the "limit" when you cant pull off a great skid.

while the other youtube auto journalists out there are....
You should chill out as well...this guy is a car enthusiast, not a professional drifter or racecar driver. I'm sure that he has driven long enough that he is aware of proper hand placement on the steering wheel...but it's really not necessary for you or anyone else to start lecturing him on his so called "improper" driving techniques.

This guy took time out of his personal life to put together a video and share his experiences with us. Why you are looking for "evidence" of a complete controlled drift in this kind of video is beyond my comprehension.

whenever someone chimes in on "how the car feels at the limit" i EXPECT some driving at the limit for some damn validation - otherwise, its just talking out of your piehole (not just for this video but for ALL reviews). or do you believe anything that anyone says?

i already said it though, the video was good.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #120
Bim4live888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 4 serie Grancoupe

Once again great review! Great car and great personality as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #121
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
whenever someone chimes in on "how the car feels at the limit" i EXPECT some driving at the limit for some damn validation - otherwise, its just talking out of your piehole (not just for this video but for ALL reviews). or do you believe anything that anyone says?

I agree that many people overestimate their driving ability. Just as many underestimate their car's abilities as well. However... being able to put a car into a controlled skid and driving that same car at its limit are two very different things. Breaking traction is simply driving beyond the car's tires' adhesion limits. This is typically a situation that a race car driver, who truly explores their car's limit, tries to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #122
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmurray22 View Post
1)
2) Yes don't get me started on how annoying the auto 'Park' mode is. It is supposed to go into park when you turn off the engine. This happens about 70% of the time for me, maybe I am doing something wrong I don't know. I have tried foot on brake foot off brake, safety belt on or off, door open or closed, manual mode or automatic. I just can not get it to go into park every time.

Then if it does not go into park you need to remove your foot from the brake and hit the start/stop button again. If you are still on the brake the car will start again.

Maybe someone else has worked out the logic of this stupid system.
Hi Nick - nice review! I have a '14 M5 and also dislike the lack of a park position. I've found that if you put the car in reverse before turning it off - it goes into park every time. Give that a try and see if it works for you.

Thx,
Barry
      08-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #123
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Quote:

I agree that many people overestimate their driving ability. Just as many underestimate their car's abilities as well. However... being able to put a car into a controlled skid and driving that same car at its limit are two very different things. Breaking traction is simply driving beyond the car's tires' adhesion limits. This is typically a situation that a race car driver, who truly explores their car's limit, tries to avoid.
100% agree with you, but i would say if a driver cannot do this, he is nowhere even close to the limit. and although racing drivers avoid it, it doesnt mean they never exceed it. watch any pro drivers and you will always see countersteer. there is a fine line where you bounce in and out of the limit and are consistent.

that is when you are truly fast.

i have never personally have ever commented on driving at the limit, (but i do love intentional power oversteer ) but lately it seems as if its tossed around loosely all over these boards and in reviews. another fellow commented on how his i8 felt at the limit on B roads at 30mph. its getting a bit ridiculous and im just addressing that.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #124
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Thanks for taking the time to shoot, edit and post this. That must have been a whole day thing.

Anyway, I sort of "skipped" through most of it, so forgive me if my comments are way off. To me it looks like you like this car, but will never have it for 5 years as you did your e92. I was not getting the impression that this is a special car. Is that a safe assumption? There was no twinkle in your eye. No visceral descriptions of the car. I have a feeling you'll be back in Porsche (or some other) pretty soon. Either way, congrats!

It's also good to know that the sound in person is much better than recordings we have heard. Thanks for the video.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #125
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Also, just curious ... you clearly had a bad experience with this particular dealership, but you choose to keep their name hidden? What is your reasoning behind that? Are you afraid of litigation?

I know the dealership you bought your car from, and can confirm that they have a bad reputation. I shopped there for a car and never went back.

Please, try and at least service your new M4 elsewhere. Their service department can not be that much better.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #126
nmurray22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
Also, just curious ... you clearly had a bad experience with this particular dealership, but you choose to keep their name hidden? What is your reasoning behind that? Are you afraid of litigation?

I know the dealership you bought your car from, and can confirm that they have a bad reputation. I shopped there for a car and never went back.

Please, try and at least service your new M4 elsewhere. Their service department can not be that much better.
No I just figure little can be gained from bad mouthing them directly. I was on the fence about naming them and in the end I thought it is easy enough to work out what dealer I am talking about if people really want to know.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #127
Sektion9
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Great detailed video review!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #128
L27
Private
Tunisia
Rep
Drives: *

Great review, excellent car!
Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #129
The BeatStreetFighters
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmurray22 View Post
Now that I have had my M4 for a few weeks it is time for longer video on it and to compare it to my old M3 and 991 911. Also a top speed run thrown in.

Hope you enjoy. Thanks

Nick

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #130
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nick - love your reviews. Keep up the good work. And love the dog!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #131
Surge
Rep
Drives: M3 on order

Nick, great to see this! Thank you.
I didn't get a 911 because of your videos…
And I am soon to get an M3 (not because you got one … but glad you did!)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #132
M3ichael
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW ///M3 DCT

Awesome review. Thanks!
Appreciate 0