F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > couple ?? after LCI tail light swap
ARMA SPEED

02-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #1
fox88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Xdrive

couple ?? after LCI tail light swap

2015 f30. OEM brake housing got water in, and shut down. I grabbed a set of OEM LCI lights from Ebay and swapped them in this morning.

1) The inner turn signals don't work, and it appears that will need coding. I have a Carly, but doesn't appear Carly supports that mod from my research. Anyone do that type of coding remotely by any chance? Not really a big issue, but will bother me most likely as they're supposed to work.

2) I'm getting a "reverse lamp malfunction" when I start the car. Both reverse lamps work normally as they should. Is this something else that possibly needs to be coded that I'm not aware of? These, as well as my originals, are using standard filament bulbs, so not sure why this message is appearing. Especially as they are working as the originals did.

3) Then this one, I'm not sure about. "Left 2 stage brake lamp malfunction" is also coming up when the car is started.

All parking lights work like the originals. Reverse lights work like the originals. L & R turn signals work like the originals. Hazards work like the originals. Brake lights work like the originals.

I know question 1 is something I have to work on/with, if I intend to make those functional. Not sure if maybe 2 & 3 are related? But all looks and works good, so not sure about the messages coming up, that did not come up before.

When I bought this car in 2018, I bought a Carly, so I could change some things within the computers so the full LED Umnitza headlights I purchased would work properly. Is it possible maybe I changed something I shouldn't have, when I did the headlights? Just throwing that out there. I really don't recall as it was quite a few years ago now.

Open to ideas.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #2
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88 View Post
2015 f30. OEM brake housing got water in, and shut down. I grabbed a set of OEM LCI lights from Ebay and swapped them in this morning.

1) The inner turn signals don't work, and it appears that will need coding. I have a Carly, but doesn't appear Carly supports that mod from my research. Anyone do that type of coding remotely by any chance? Not really a big issue, but will bother me most likely as they're supposed to work.

2) I'm getting a "reverse lamp malfunction" when I start the car. Both reverse lamps work normally as they should. Is this something else that possibly needs to be coded that I'm not aware of? These, as well as my originals, are using standard filament bulbs, so not sure why this message is appearing. Especially as they are working as the originals did.

3) Then this one, I'm not sure about. "Left 2 stage brake lamp malfunction" is also coming up when the car is started.

All parking lights work like the originals. Reverse lights work like the originals. L & R turn signals work like the originals. Hazards work like the originals. Brake lights work like the originals.

I know question 1 is something I have to work on/with, if I intend to make those functional. Not sure if maybe 2 & 3 are related? But all looks and works good, so not sure about the messages coming up, that did not come up before.

When I bought this car in 2018, I bought a Carly, so I could change some things within the computers so the full LED Umnitza headlights I purchased would work properly. Is it possible maybe I changed something I shouldn't have, when I did the headlights? Just throwing that out there. I really don't recall as it was quite a few years ago now.

Open to ideas.

Thanks.
LCI tails require adjustment to the inner light wiring harnesses- Did you do that when you did the install?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1797529
      02-19-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
fox88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Follow up: So the reverse light thing was easy once I went back and looked at it. I remember while I was re-pinning the right side, I was on the phone. So yeah, wasn't paying attention and put the 2 end wires in backwards. I flipped them back where I should have put them in the first place, and that message is cleared out.

The inner turns, I decided not to deal with coding and just tapped them into the OEM harness which is 6" away from the plug I had connected them up to. Black/white left and black/gray right I think they were? Easy peasy and done. Looks much better with the inner turns connected.

But anyway, just down to the last thing still, about the 2 stage brake lamp malfunction. Still have that. Going to hopefully later have some time to fire up the Carly and see if I can figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:45 AM   #4
fox88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
LCI tails require adjustment to the inner light wiring harnesses- Did you do that when you did the install?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1797529

Yeah. All working as they're supposed to, now.
Appreciate 0