E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Recommendations on where to buy Carbon Fiber trim?

05-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Catalina Wine Mixer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe White/Coral Red

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.26]
2008 328i  [5.50]
Recommendations on where to buy Carbon Fiber trim?

I am thinking about replacing my wood trim with carbon fiber but don't want it wrapped does anyone know where I can get actual replacement trim pieces in carbon fiber for? How about the cost?
thanks
| 09 335i Coupe | Alpine White/Coral Red | M Sport | 6mt | Premium | Logic7 | 19" Beyern Mesh | 20% Tint | LUX Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Black Kidney Grill | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1 | M-Pedal Set | Painted Side Reflectors | Rear Lip Spoiler | Euro Front Plate | Passport 9500ix | BIM Coded |
Who is John Galt??
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

If you want actual carbon fiber layed up and molded to fit your car, that some serious custom work. Try Calfee designs and they might be able to make some trim pieces for you. It will not be cheap.

If you want simple replacement panels with a carbon fiber look, you will still get pieces that are wrapped. This is easier to find and do.

If you know anybody in Guangzhou province in China, there are plenty of carbon fiber makers in that region. Try alibaba.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Here you go, brother. You're welcome. Just get me one too as a thank you.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...2915&perf=true
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by project6 View Post
If you want actual carbon fiber layed up and molded to fit your car, that some serious custom work. Try Calfee designs and they might be able to make some trim pieces for you. It will not be cheap.

If you want simple replacement panels with a carbon fiber look, you will still get pieces that are wrapped. This is easier to find and do.

If you know anybody in Guangzhou province in China, there are plenty of carbon fiber makers in that region. Try alibaba.
I know lots of people in Guangzhou, and it still won't be cheap...nor will it fit correctly
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
I know lots of people in Guangzhou, and it still won't be cheap...nor will it fit correctly
Aah, you know of that area. Plenty of Taiwanese CF is being outsourced in that area nowadays. I have to disagree with the fit and finish, with a proper original source copy(nudge, nudge, wink wink)and supervision, they can fabricate some kick-ass pieces. We can probably market that stuff to some enthusiasts...at least for a lot less than what BMW sells

Last edited by project6; 05-14-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Check oCarbon. Expensive, but good work.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've got it done. I had my OEM wood trim overlaid and it came out FANTASTIC. Overlaid with real cf not wrapped with fabric. PM me if you want the guys info he does great work. I'll let him know I'm sending people his way.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Aah, you know of that area. Plenty of Taiwanese CF is being outsourced in that area nowadays. I have to disagree with the fit and finish, with a proper original source copy(nudge, nudge, wink wink)and supervision, they can fabricate some kick-ass pieces. We can probably market that stuff to some enthusiasts...at least for a lot less than what BMW sells
proper supervision is the key. I had an office in Jiangmen for about 6 months. This was right after my stint in Shenzhen. They're like children...turn your back for 5 seconds and they're changing parts out on you, or "saving money for you"...like children who "found" your cookie "for you". I think I've seen every factory in Southern China...including Foxconn (they make some car video pieces, and lots of connectors). When I was right on top of them the product was dead on balls on spec. The day after I left spec changed 15%. Pieces stopped fitting right, tuners suddenly changed, chips changed, FETs changed, tolerances changed. It's like magic...the day you come back everything is back to normal.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
proper supervision is the key. I had an office in Jiangmen for about 6 months. This was right after my stint in Shenzhen. They're like children...turn your back for 5 seconds and they're changing parts out on you, or "saving money for you"...like children who "found" your cookie "for you". I think I've seen every factory in Southern China...including Foxconn (they make some car video pieces, and lots of connectors). When I was right on top of them the product was dead on balls on spec. The day after I left spec changed 15%. Pieces stopped fitting right, tuners suddenly changed, chips changed, FETs changed, tolerances changed. It's like magic...the day you come back everything is back to normal.

Why am I not surprised that the people working for next to nothing try to rip people off whenever possible

My gf is going to China soon. Any tips or tricks to have her find the good gadgets to bring me back? I'm a technology addict. I hope she doesn't come back with some bootlegged nintendough wee or something haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

where is she going?

They arent' really trying to rip anyone off...they're trying to save money, even if that means quality is sacrificed. Their excuse is "well, the specs are the same, but we save half a penny", when the spec really isn't the same. When Iv'e spent a year testing components to make sure which one we really need, and they change to something "with the same spec" that I've already tested, and know isn't the same, it's just frustrating.

I designed a polycarbonate subwoofer basket with 20% glass content for rigidity, and elasticity...they changed to 3% glass to save money, and the baskets ALL broke.

The problem is that we negotiate a price for the life of the contract, and there's no going back to change that. They only figure in RIGHT NOW pricing on commodities, not market fluctuation. When their price goes up they try to figure a way to keep making money. I dont' knock them for it, but they should have factored market fluctuations in the contract. When they're forced to go back to the right parts, they get all kinds of pissy about money.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'll find out for sure where she is going. Don't know the cities yet. Beijing for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
There are currently a couple FS posts for the OEM CF Leather trim also. Usually gets around $600-$700 used, in perfect shape.

VERY nice looks - like it better than the glossy look of cleared/handlayed CF + the door pieces will not show nicks/damage from the seatbelts
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
There are currently a couple FS posts for the OEM CF Leather trim also. Usually gets around $600-$700 used, in perfect shape.

VERY nice looks - like it better than the glossy look of cleared/handlayed CF + the door pieces will not show nicks/damage from the seatbelts

FWIW I paid less than that for REAL carbon fiber overlaid over OEM wood trim. Real carbon fiber > fabric to me, especially when it cost less!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep

Quote:
where is she going?

They arent' really trying to rip anyone off...they're trying to save money, even if that means quality is sacrificed. Their excuse is "well, the specs .
This! Totally different mentality as seen by Westerners. Ripping people off (your employer in particular)when you are gainfully employed is not something you do. It is considered malicious and will cause you to lose face and you drag your family with you. It is hard to explain to outsiders, there is no malice involved when they do that, they just want you to look at them in a good light by saving you money(this is how they see Westerners) and in turn they gain favor by not getting fired.
To them, the specs are the same because they "look" the same.
Sorry
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This! Totally different mentality as seen by Westerners. Ripping people off (your employer in particular)when you are gainfully employed is not something you do. It is considered malicious and will cause you to lose face and you drag your family with you. It is hard to explain to outsiders, there is no malice involved when they do that, they just want you to look at them in a good light by saving you money(this is how they see Westerners) and in turn they gain favor by not getting fired.
To them, the specs are the same because they "look" the same.
Sorry
this could not be more dead on accurate.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #16
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
I've got it done. I had my OEM wood trim overlaid and it came out FANTASTIC. Overlaid with real cf not wrapped with fabric. PM me if you want the guys info he does great work. I'll let him know I'm sending people his way.
Do you have his contact info still?

VT
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #17
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

From me! lol I have some brand new Vvivid 4d CF wrap I need to get rid of, never used any.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0