F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013
GetBMWParts

06-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons Epic drive and meet 2013

First item: I have gotten some flak from people on the different forms for putting this on as well as asking people to only post if they were going or at least seriously interested. I am not being paid to do this nor am I asking for money. I am doing this because I love to drive and seem to be one of the few people out in the community willing to take on such a headache. All I ask is if you are going to post on this thread, please be serious about attending. Just posting to say "say not for me" or "to far" makes the thread long and does not add value. Thank you.

Second item: There is no way I can please everyone for this event and nor am I trying to do so. I have done my best to make an event that balances the areas I felt were important.
  1. Being able to see the sights you have not seen as well as take your ride on a drive you normally would never do.
  2. Being able to drive the car in a fun manner at some points to “stretch its legs”.
  3. Make a successful event that we can have move across North America to see the sights.

Dates of the event

June 24-28 – for meet and group activities. If you include driving to base camp it would be June 22nd – June 30th possibly depending on location you are starting from.

Base camp will be West Yellowstone. There is plenty of lodging, parking and activities for a hopefully big group. I will be working on group rates at the first of the year for everyone.
  • June 24th, 2013 - Yellowstone park North loop
  • June 25th, 2013 – Yellowstone park South Loop
  • June 26th, 2013 – Beartooth Pass drive. (This will be the drive day and will make for some great roads. This will be a LONG day, as we will cover some miles)
  • June 27th, 2013 – Leave West Yellowstone and travel to Jackson WY
    - Explore Grand Tetons during the day on the way to Jackson WY
  • June 28th, 2013 – Explore Grand Tetons

In an effort to help facilitate getting people in touch with each other to arrange caravans, I have made a form that I will use to populate a Google document. I am the only one who will see this as a FYI.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...eW9RcFlhQUE6MQ

What will we be doing there?

We are in the oldest national park in the world so we will be seeing the sights and doing some walking around. In addition, a few others and I are trying to arrange some group photo shots at the parks attractions. I have included one day for just pure driving for those who are interested.

What will this cost me to go?

You will be responsible for fuel, lodging, food, park fees and anything else you might want to do. The only fee that is 100% for sure is the $25 for a 7 day pass which allows you to see both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

If I get enough people interested, I could have some removable decals made to be placed on the side of the car to be like we are on a rally event. If you want me to look into these costs, let me know on the form above.

This sounds LAME!

I know some of you have posted you hated Yellowstone and would just do the Grand Teton or you just want to hall ass around all day seeing what your car can do. Sorry this is not the place to do that. The best explanation I can say why this is not lame is because you are going on a ROAD TRIP, which to me has always been a reason to go to places. This also is a continental wide event that hopefully will be the first of many more to come. Therefore, if you still think this is a lame idea then I wish you a safe summer in your adventures.

Currently I have four cars from Sacramento area 100% going. In addition, I know of a few in Montana that will be attending. This means we have about eight cars ranging from BMW, Audi, Ferrari and Lotus already attending.

If you wish to email me directly my email is norcal.drivers@gmail.com. Please make sure to let me know you are asking about Yellowstone as I organize many drives for the NorCal enthusiasts.

Cheers

Adam

Here are some sample images of the visit my wife and I did in 2011 in our 2006 E90.

Last edited by m3dragon; 10-22-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Hmmmm.....not too far away from my neck of the woods. Might incorporate it with a trip back to Saskatchewan.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

HAHA nice. yeah it is a ways out so we have time to flush things out as well as get beat up on the post. Other threads are razing already UG
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Wow I would love to do this! Yellowstone has to be one of the most beautiful places in the United States. Just a bit too far from where I live.

Oh, you may want to warn folks to look out for wild life that often crosses the road, especially early morning and early evening. Many of them are as large as our cars and can do serious damage to cars and occupants. For those driving there, keep in mind that what may appears to be oncoming traffic flashing their headlights is often a herd of bison, moose or elk darting across the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah I have a image of them walking down the roads when we where there. FL is far but the idea is to make carvans to go there. Granted it is a 2 day drive for you but if there was a carvan that would be quite a road trip adventure. Something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

if i could i would...Yellowstone looks fantastic.plus im in the uk !!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardio View Post
if i could i would...Yellowstone looks fantastic.plus im in the uk !!
That would be a EPIC trip for sure. All else fails you could fly across the pond and ride with someone maybe? If you chose that I can help find you a ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
That would be a EPIC trip for sure. All else fails you could fly across the pond and ride with someone maybe? If you chose that I can help find you a ride.
hey much respect to you m3dragon...
will be keeping an eye on this post,thats for sure
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardio View Post
hey much respect to you m3dragon...
will be keeping an eye on this post,thats for sure
Sounds good. Heck as it is enough time, maybe you see if you can get a group from the UK to cross the pond? Possible discount rate on air fare. Just a idea. As for the cars we can figure something out, you you can rent some American Pig Iron cars HAHA. Just look out for turns ;-) kid
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
This sounds very do-able. I could try to meet at Yellowstone, or along the route depending on how far north you go before heading east. Would you go through Utah, southern Idaho, or eastern Oregon?

My wife and I did a Northern New England/Adirondacks/Lake Placid trip in my RX8 with club a few years ago, 29 cars altogether. It was a great time.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
If I am in country, I would be up for it!
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Traveler218
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i Montego Blue Matalic

Brought this up to my wife thinking should would just role her eyes; but, she immediately started planning I,m all in.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

i'm on the wrong coast

buuut my i did pass by Yellowstone when i brought my seattle z4m home
      06-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Tentative yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
i'm on the wrong coast

buuut my i did pass by Yellowstone when i brought my seattle z4m home
I believe there a few others coming from PA. Cost is not the issue, it is more if you want to make a long haul drive. You did it once when you got you Z4M so what is one more time
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
This sounds very do-able. I could try to meet at Yellowstone, or along the route depending on how far north you go before heading east. Would you go through Utah, southern Idaho, or eastern Oregon?
Not sure where you are in WA, but based on your local and Google. If you timed it you could meet the caravan I would be leading from Sacramento in Twin Falls Idaho.

However based on all the threads this is on, there will be caravans from all over the place. Which was kind of the point. Do something you normally never would do and make some friends as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Wow I would love to do this! Yellowstone has to be one of the most beautiful places in the United States. Just a bit too far from where I live.

Oh, you may want to warn folks to look out for wild life that often crosses the road, especially early morning and early evening. Many of them are as large as our cars and can do serious damage to cars and occupants. For those driving there, keep in mind that what may appears to be oncoming traffic flashing their headlights is often a herd of bison, moose or elk darting across the road.
I just came back from Cali, and about 3 hrs from Yellowstone, was planning to take my kids there but couldn't. I think this is a doable project for me and the wife for next year because we go out that area every year around first wk of June. If there is a caravan from FL heading west then I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think there will be caravans from all over. I think next month I will start tracking who is where that way people can start to figure out ideas.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #19
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
I believe there a few others coming from PA. Cost is not the issue, it is more if you want to make a long haul drive. You did it once when you got you Z4M so what is one more time
uh oh. you've peaked my interest. driving across country in my new Z was one of my fondest memories. my pop and i set out on a friday and had to get back before end of day monday so we didn't have time to stop at yellowstone. the roads...oh my the roads! (the twisties in idaho were my favorite and it was the first state we hit after setting out from seattle)

i'm glad the car came with a clear bra because the bugs are effing ginormous at night in the middle of wyoming/south dakota/minnesota. the headlights were just luring them in. at one point all i was hearing was thump thump thump from all these enormous bugs getting creamed lol.

that's my way of saying keep me in the loop. i'm curious to see how many are setting out from this area...caravans are awesome.
      06-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
jckent
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 2.5i

Sounds like a blast. I'll get my passport application in.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Very interested!

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #22
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just a update to all. I am working out the details for the event and welcome any suggestions or ideas. PM me with them and so i can review them all to finish building us a game plan.
Appreciate 0