F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Technologies at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2024
Studio RSR

01-08-2024, 10:53 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Technologies at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2024

BMW at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2024
  • Growing range of apps for the ConnectedDrive Store.
  • Innovations in video streaming and in-car gaming for current models.
  • Insights into development projects for the digitalized mobility of the future.
  • Integration of augmented reality devices, remote-controlled parking.
  • Generative AI for the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant.
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – January 8, 2024… BMW’s presence at CES 2024 is dedicated to the digital customer experience. The company will present new infotainment features for its current model line and offer visitors a lively insight into development projects that demonstrate BMW’s leadership in the digitized mobility of the future. Visitors will be able to drive a BMW iX remotely across the Silver Lot at the exhibition grounds, discover the potential of augmented reality glasses as passengers, and experience the power of BMW’s Intelligent Personal Assistant as a vehicle expert enhanced with generative artificial intelligence.

New gaming highlights for the ConnectedDrive Store in BMW Operating System 9 for 2024.

In conjunction with the optional BMW Digital Premium offer, owners of BMWs with Operating System 9 have access to a BMW ConnectedDrive Store extended with third-party apps. This app store offers a constantly growing range of apps for music, news, and gaming. In the future, more games will be added via this channel, including games that can be played with full-fledged gaming controllers. BMW is presenting such a gaming experience for the first time at CES 2024 with “Beach Buggy Racing 2” offering customers an action-packed racing game experience that is reminiscent of the major console classics. In split-screen mode, two players can compete against each other in the vehicle with their gaming controllers. Common, Bluetooth-enabled gaming controllers can be connected to the infotainment system in just a few steps. The controller connection will be available over-the-air for BMW Operating System 9 over the course of 2024.

With the AirConsole app, BMW and MINI customers can already play single and multiplayer games in the vehicle today. The games are easily accessible to everyone, as the smartphone becomes a controller and enables simple, easy-to-learn operation. The range of games on the AirConsole app in the vehicle is constantly being developed.

BMW models with BMW Operating System 9 come with a 90-day free trial of BMW Digital Premium, after which it can be added via the ConnectedDrive Store on the web, in the My BMW app, or directly in the vehicle. BMW Digital Premium also includes extended navigation functions and additional customization options, for example through additional My Modes.

Top entertainment — with the Video App in BMW Operating Systems 8.5 and 9.

In addition to the BMW Theatre Screen with Amazon Fire TV built-in in the rear compartment of the BMW 7 Series, BMW customers are now able to watch a variety of video content on the central display*. BMW developers worked with XPERI, Inc. to optimize the TiVo Operating System - which has already been successful in the Smart TV sector - for in-vehicle video streaming, integrating the DTS AutoStage Video Service powered by TiVo. The entertainment offerings include both live channels and on-demand media libraries of news, sports, entertainment for children, movies, and TV series.

The platform was first introduced in the new BMW 5 Series and is now being rolled out over-the-air to other luxury class models**. Owners of vehicles with BMW Operating System 9 have also had access to the video app in conjunction with BMW Digital Premium since the end of 2023, with other vehicles following in 2024, such as the BMW X2 and all models in the new MINI family..

* In vehicles with BMW Operating System 8.5 in conjunction with ConnectedDrive Professional; with BMW Operating System 9 in conjunction with BMW Digital Premium.
** BMW 7 Series; BMW iX from 03/23 production, the BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7, BMW X5 M, BMW X6 M from 04/23 production and the BMW XM from 08/23 production.

The video app is now available in the USA, UK, South Korea, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and soon will be coming to Japan. The portals available across countries include Pluto TV, Bloomberg, TED, Yahoo! and Chili. There are also country-specific streaming offers:
  • Germany: JOYN, ZDF, Tagesschau, Deutsche Welle
  • Italy: RaiPlay
  • France: TF1
  • USA: Tubi, Gusto TV, Journy
  • Japan: Abema TV, NHK Plus, TVer, Hulu Japan, NTV NEWS NNN
The video streaming platform's portfolio will continue to develop and gradually roll out to other countries.

Ready for the wearables of the future — extended driving experience with “XREAL Air 2” augmented reality glasses.

At CES, BMW will show for the first time how augmented reality (AR) glasses could enrich the driving experience in the future. Visitors will experience the uses of AR glasses on a trip through Las Vegas. In doing so, they see how navigation and hazard information, information on points of interest and entertainment content are perfectly embedded in the real environment through the “XREAL Air 2”. AR and MR (mixed reality) devices will steadily gain in popularity in the coming years due to technological advances and more accessible entry-level models. These devices have the potential to provide both drivers and passengers with extended information and content — as a supplement to the displays installed in the vehicle.

Since 2008, BMW has been following the development of AR/MR technology and has been investigating the possible uses of head-mounted displays as part of research projects. Through the resulting development collaborations, BMW engineers have succeeded for the first time in displaying stable augmented reality (AR) and mixed reality (MR) content to passengers in a moving vehicle. Even in challenging driving situations, for example when the vehicle turns, drives over bumps, or accelerates, the displayed image remains stable. To achieve this, the tracking system of the respective AR/MR device must be connected to the vehicle's sensor data.

BMW has continuously expanded its experience with AR/MR devices over the years and presented it to the public, starting with the MINI Augmented Vision project (2015), the collaboration with Meta Reality Labs (2022 & 2023), the ConnectedRide Smartglasses from BMW Motorrad, and the M Mixed Reality Driving Experience. In current BMW and MINI models, the “Augmented View” function offers the driver a live video stream on the display for the best possible orientation when navigating, which is expanded with additional, augmented information.

BMW has already successfully pioneered digital technologies such as vehicle access based on the BMW Digital Key and has driven forward the standardization of such innovations in the industry. When it comes to AR/MR, the company is also open to cooperation with other partners to achieve the goal of creating an industry standard for connecting XR devices in the CE industry with vehicles.

Development demo: Voice assistant becomes the ultimate vehicle expert with the help of Amazon Alexa Large Language Model (LLM).

BMW and Amazon are showcasing voice assistant LLM capabilities based on a current development project the companies are working on for a potential series rollout. This makes the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant the ultimate vehicle expert enabled by generative AI, powered by the Alexa LLM. Visitors will experience how the voice assistant provides quick instructions and answers about vehicle functions in a much more human, conversational manner, while at the same time being able to control some vehicle functions.

The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant has been using artificial intelligence for speech processing for a long time, and this demo is the latest proof of the continued innovation BMW and its partners are bringing to customers. Complex processing capabilities, which enable human-like interactions and dialogs, had not yet been integrated into the existing Intelligent Personal Assistant. Such capabilities are now made possible by LLMs (Large Language Models), which are AI models designed to process human language at a high level and generate responses accordingly. The BMW Group is also taking careful steps to build a safe and trusted experience for customers, and continues to test and iterate these LLM capabilities over time with its partners.

Since the introduction of the first BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant in 2018, language interaction has been an essential part of BMW iDrive. Today, the voice assistant gives customers control over many vehicle functions so that they can keep their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road. Leveraging Amazon’s Alexa Custom Assistant — a solution based on Alexa technology that enables companies to create their own customized voice assistant — the next generation of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant will soon become more powerful over the course of the year in vehicles with BMW Operating System 9.

Joint development project with Valeo enables remote-controlled valet parking.

BMW and Valeo are working in a strategic partnership on the joint development of next-generation automated Level 4 parking solutions. This also includes the development of solutions for automated valet parking (AVP). The customer leaves the vehicle at a defined drop off point. From there, the vehicle automatically searches for a parking space, performs the necessary maneuvers to enter the space, and can return to the pick-up point. The underlying technology can be either an autonomous driving system or a remote-controlled valet system.

At CES 2024, visitors can try out remote-controlled valet parking for themselves. Remote control provides control in situations where fully autonomous systems may face major challenges, such as complex or unknown environments.

The remote control uses modern technology and live camera images to navigate and move the vehicle in order to park and return in a controlled manner. Possible areas of application for this technology in the future could include parking for events, at airports, or in logistics.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
Cabbage624.50
      01-08-2024, 11:30 AM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

No idrive 10? Shocked
Appreciate 3
1230vani652.50
Ibiza3611.50
BMWZ41909.50
      01-08-2024, 11:33 AM   #3
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

I realize there are footnotes about certain features under certain circumstances available to certain models produced after a certain date.

All I know is that the vast majority of this will not come to my several month old 2024 model year X5.

Not that most of it is very compelling — and certainly not for extra money — but just a reminder that you should expect the functions you leave the dealer’s lot with may very be the only ones you have for the duration of your ownership. This is until the traditional manufacturers figure out how to get their act together and realize that these machines they have turned into near button-less computers need to be treated like our other devices from an upgradeability perspective.

They will be able to get away with this substandard mosh-mosh of software for a while — since most manufacturers are crappy at this. But eventually someone will do it better and customers are going to demand other manufacturers fall in line or lose share.
Appreciate 8
1230vani652.50
Joachim328.00
marashka223.00
Ibiza3611.50
AP2781.50
      01-08-2024, 11:49 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

remote valet...interesting. I dont trust regular valet lol, now I got to trust remote.. may take me a while till I'm there. Just park myself.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 4
      01-08-2024, 01:22 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

OK, I say this as someone who owned a Tesla for 4 years, experienced pretty much the height of software used for non-driving purposes (YouTube, Disney plus streaming, serious PC level games, fart machines, karaoke, etc.). And also as someone who just sold a 13 year old 911 with 17 year old technology in it in no small part to have a car with modern infotainment. But I have one message to car manufacturers:

I DO NOT WANT MY CAR TO BE A ROLLING INFOTAINMENT CENTER.

Yes, it's fun to have some built in infotainment to watch / do while you're charging. That's nice. But some of this stuff is just gilding the lily / focusing your resources in the wrong area / trying to add additional profits. Please, keep trying to keep the weight out of car. You know what's scary? The number of pedestrian deaths caused by vehicle accidents is RISING despite European legislation trying to make cars more pedestrian friendly in an accident. Cars are taller and heavier than ever and drivers are more and more distracted. Please, focus on that.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 01-08-2024 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 21
Joachim328.00
tsbrown1038.00
eddiehaug748.50
Cityman181.00
M3N4CE96.00
co_440i108.00
TXSchnee1316.50
DrFerry6728.50
BMWZ41909.50
xander_g1007.50
sahajesh2294.00
chrisk03153.00
Davil6524.50
      01-08-2024, 01:37 PM   #6
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Maybe someone with technical knowledge of how this works can help me out - why is it that BMW (Audi also had a similar concept) is going the AR glasses route rather than a more robust AR HUD?

Is this purely a cost thing or does it not work without the lens being close enough to the eye etc.?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 01:55 PM   #7
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

BMW Digital Premium

Sounds like an expensive subscription. Boo.
Appreciate 4
      01-08-2024, 02:26 PM   #8
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

From my experience, iD9 has been a big downgrade from 8.5. The more tech that gets added will only cause more issues.
      01-08-2024, 02:42 PM   #9
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
I'm sure it's just curmudgeon me (you kid's get off my lawn!) but none of the things listed seem like a good idea or any thing I want much less are interested in paying for? I'm especially not wild about someone driving towards me playing video games.
Appreciate 6
co_440i108.00
DrFerry6728.50
xander_g1007.50
chrisk03153.00
      01-08-2024, 03:08 PM   #10
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

I still don’t understand why my brand new 2024 BMW only has iDrive 8 - not even 8.5, let alone 9.

I agree with others, I could care less about video games and other nonsense, I bought a BMW because it’s a driver’s car. But I do expect my brand new model year vehicle to have the latest version of the software!
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2024, 03:13 PM   #11
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing__narwhal View Post
I still don’t understand why my brand new 2024 BMW only has iDrive 8 - not even 8.5, let alone 9.

I agree with others, I could care less about video games and other nonsense, I bought a BMW because it’s a driver’s car. But I do expect my brand new model year vehicle to have the latest version of the software!
Because it requires different hardware to run. And changing the hardware has cascading consequences.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:32 PM   #12
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

This is just making me glad my '23 still has ID7 and confirming (in my mind) I made the right decision to upgrade earlier than I'd planned just to avoid ID8 and beyond.

Sigh. Fully agreed I don't want my car to be a rolling infotainment / media center. All I need is music / bluetooth for calls / maps. No games, no movies, youtube, netflix, web browsing, etc. I have my phone for any of that.

Drive recorder, weather, basic stuff like that - ok sure it impacts driving directly. Helps plan for the destination. Assistant to help me find a gas station or golf course / point of interest near my destination? Sure, it's part of the nav package.

But all this other crap can GTFO.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 9
Cityman181.00
OtoPA383.50
AP2781.50
BMWZ41909.50
Vervain397.50
chrisk03153.00
      01-08-2024, 09:49 PM   #13
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Interesting article from The Verge, as the BMW Digital Premium package for 3rd apps is nothing more than a Trojan horse to occupy our time waiting for the slow as molasses EV’s to charge while playing video games or stream a movie. Nice try BMW to trick us to accept and embrace your pathetic EV’s—but no thanks, as I’ll stay with ICE.
      01-09-2024, 07:29 AM   #14
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

can they please fix the software updates first
every time I update the software as recommended , something goes wrong , so I always delay it as much as possible , then do it and regret it
the weirdest problem was on my 2022 M5C , after update , the trunk started opening on it own, randomly,
only fix at dealer was to go back to whatever program was before the update
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:38 AM   #15
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

I have youtube, games, Netflix, etc in my 2020 x7. The rear seat entertainment system came with HDMI-in and 45 watt USB-C ports, enough to plug in anything.

Now I know why they removed RSE as an option after 2020, if people have an HDMI port, why would they pay BMW for digital subscriptions?
Appreciate 2
chrisk03153.00
      01-09-2024, 09:11 AM   #16
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
I guess it could be worse.
Volkswagen is adding ChatGPT to its infotainment system
1/8/2024
From mid-2024, we can add the VW ID.3, ID.4, ID.5, ID.7, Tiguan, Passat, and Golf to the list of cars with decent voice commands. Using "Hello IDA" as the prompt, VW drivers will be able to control their infotainment, navigation, and climate control by voice, and there's also a general-knowledge search built in. VW notes that ChatGPT doesn't get access to any vehicle data, and search queries and answers are deleted immediately. The feature should come to VW electric vehicles if those vehicles already have the latest infotainment system, VW told Ars.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/01...inment-system/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:58 AM   #17
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
I'm one to not burn time playing video games,...so the fact that I can in a car won't change my mind about playing video game.

There has only been one 'video game' I've ever burn hours playing,...and that was the console game,..."Ms Pac-Man". Oh the "Quarters" I've spent!
      01-09-2024, 11:06 AM   #18
Dgjo2022X5MC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022X5MC, 2020 X5 40i

Hope to find time to check it out and pass on any impressions.
Attached Images

01-09-2024, 11:52 AM   #19
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Someone posted above...and I agree all this crap is probably there to kill time while charging...even then, who doesn't own a mobile these days...so crazy they're investing money and time into this garbage
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2024, 06:02 PM   #20
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
remote valet...interesting. I dont trust regular valet lol, now I got to trust remote.. may take me a while till I'm there. Just park myself.
Well at least remote valet won’t take your car for a joyride.
Hopefully
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10816.50
      01-11-2024, 07:20 AM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
Well at least remote valet won’t take your car for a joyride.
Hopefully
so we can add that to the pros side

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 05:51 PM   #22
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Someone posted above...and I agree all this crap is probably there to kill time while charging...even then, who doesn't own a mobile these days...so crazy they're investing money and time into this garbage
Yeah, I mean wasn't that the big impetus behind Android Auto / Carplay? The assumption that anyone with these cars would also have a cell phone that they'd be more comfortable / familiar with / prefer to use as much as possible? Like, the luxury manufacturers in particular should assume everyone driving them is going to have a high end phone with significantly more software engineering time invested in it. Just worry about integrations and call it a day to cut costs instead of trying to nickel and dime us for microtransaction type bull shit.

It's the Ultimate DRIVING Machine, not Ultimate Infotainment Machine.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50