BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

ContiSport Contact 3 tire noise

My 2013 e92 has the contisport contact 3's wrapped on OEM rims. I have 11k miles on the car and i have noticed that the tire noise has become MUCH noisier. I do live in the Northeast (Massachusetts) and we now have temps pretty much below 40 degrees now. Has it gotten noisier because of the winter and temp drops? From what i see online, these tires are summer performance tires and that could be why? Am I destroying my tires by driving them daily in this kind of winter temps? Any insight would be great! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Same here. I'm approaching 13k mile on my '13 on oem Conti 3 and noticed the noise has increased s bit. Not sure if that is influenced by the cold weather tho.

I'm looking forward to the pss when the time come for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

BUMP. Anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

I have not heard of summer tires becoming substantially louder in cold weather. I have driven summer tires in cold weather myself without noticing any real difference in noise. Loss of grip: noticeable. Tread noise: no difference I could hear.

I could imagine the decrease in flexibility due to the cold creating some slight additional noise, but I wouldn't expect it to be very noticeable.

On the other hand, increased noise due to tread wear is very common. So it is more likely that your problem is with the wear rather than the temperature.