E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Almost Burned to the Ground water pump failure

04-28-2024, 07:31 PM   #1
Beasters
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335ix 6 Speed Manual

N54 Almost Burned to the Ground water pump failure

Hey Guys,

Previous owner installed a cheap eBay water pump on my n54 335xi less than a year ago.. I know this because he gave me the receipt. I’m assuming something inside this cheap eBay water pump burned up and created a short because I literally had a small fire form inside of my engine at the connector to the water pump. I started to smell a weird burning smell while driving the car and decided to pop the hood and check. I noticed smoke and small flame down around the water pump area.. Took a short video of the smoke when I first popped the hood when I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on.. Long story short I disconnected the battery and sprayed water at the flame area before it got out of control.. crazy.. never been so close to a car burning to the ground in my life… anyway I am installing a quality pierburg all aluminum water pump (11519455978) from FCP Euro soon and installing a new thermostat while I have it all a part. I have also purchased the water pump connector (12527539072) along a with the other terminal connectors.

My question is can anyone take a picture of there oem connector or show me a wiring diagram for the water pump connector? I wish this connector just came with the pigtail wires connected but it doesn’t. I have no point of reference because my old connector and wiring is literally burnt toast. I’m going to cut the old wires back until I get to good wire and solder new wire from there to this connector. Also if anyone knows the gauge wires used with this connector that would be great also. I have read the thinner wires might be 24 gauge but I’m not sure what gauge the two thicker wires going to the water pump harness are.. I’m assuming those are power and ground wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

https://youtube.com/shorts/CjeSad1TH...-J1fw9mfrHpSul

P.S. I’m pretty sure this was caused from the junk eBay $130 water pump that the previous owner installed but I will mention the previous owner also disconnected the IBS from the battery and it has been that way since I purchased the car a little over a month ago now. Didn’t get around to replacing the IBS before this happened.. I’m going to now… Any chance you guys think that could have caused this?? From what I read about the IBS it seemed like people drove with the IBS disconnected for years without a problem?
Appreciate 0