E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car In The Shop w/ 10 Miles On the Odometer

02-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
ctodor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i

Car In The Shop w/ 10 Miles On the Odometer

I went to pick up my brand new 335i Coupe on Saturday and no later than 2 miles down the road I noticed a squealing noise from the engine. It sounded like a loose fan belt, but it did not change tone with engine speed.

I took it right back and the service manager had a senior tech look at it. The noise stops when the oil filler cap is loosened. The tech though it might be the rear seal. They are taking a look at it today. Had anyone else experience this?

I can't believe that this passed quality control.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Surely every carmakers experience things like this. That's what warranty is for, especially the long-term care BMW offers 50K/4yrs behind their products. Whenever a car leaves the factory, it's done w/ QA. You still have to include the shipment and delivery process, as well as whoever drives those cars. Nothing is perfect.

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
drummer12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

True, but you still have the VPC (at port) and the dealer...and this poor guy is probably going to have to come back in a few thousand miles for a HPFP...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

you beat me by 1 mile... i picked up my last 335 in 09 and it had 11 miles.. when i got on the highway and wanted to close the window, it activated non stop pinch protection, so everytime i pulled the close window switch either 1 click or 2, it would go up for a sec and then drop all the way down.. i held the switch to reset it but that didnt do anything. Gotta love BMWs baby
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genek335 View Post
it activated non stop pinch protection

didn't know anything about this.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
PJPHughes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Stuff like this happens. My '08 335i convertible stranded me at 612 miles when it dumped all its tranny fluid and nearly stranded me due to the HPFP. I never really trusted the car after that.

My 335d has been flawless thankfully. Hopefully yours is an easy one time fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

haha that is nothing compared to what happened when I picked up my car the first day! It was brand new off the boat delivered from Germany. While I was driving it back home, HOLY MOLY the GAS PEDAL was not BOLTED DOWN!!!

The gas pedal assembly was missing a bolt. The entire assembly became loose, dislodged from the notch and was free-moving SIDEWAYS! I took it straight back to the dealer and they installed the bolt and said sorry.

see the picture to see what I"m talking about... talk about "unintended acceleration" ... this would have been a SERIOUS unintended acceleration. And I was doing 80 on socal freeways.

by the way, your G37 coupe probably PALES in comparison to the 335i
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
ctodor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post

Actually the G37 Coupe does not pale in comparison with the BMW. It's different. It's like saying that a New York steak pales to a Rib Eye. They are both good, but have a different texture and taste. The G37 feels a bit less refined with more engine and road noise. The BMW feels more refined, but I would not say the G37 is less of a car. And don't get me started on the Infotainment system. The Nissan system is years ahead of the BMW system when it comes to the UI and ease of use. If you don't believe me, go test drive an Infiniti. But overall I would still pick the BMW to own (which I did).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
haha that is nothing compared to what happened when I picked up my car the first day! It was brand new off the boat delivered from Germany. While I was driving it back home, HOLY MOLY the GAS PEDAL was not BOLTED DOWN!!!

The gas pedal assembly was missing a bolt. The entire assembly became loose, dislodged from the notch and was free-moving SIDEWAYS! I took it straight back to the dealer and they installed the bolt and said sorry.

see the picture to see what I"m talking about... talk about "unintended acceleration" ... this would have been a SERIOUS unintended acceleration. And I was doing 80 on socal freeways.

Wow, that is sloppy workmanship and a serious danger! If I were you, I'd contact BMWNA and mention "lawsuit" and see if you don't get some money back. Gotta wonder what else they just forgot to bolt on there.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctodor View Post
Actually the G37 Coupe does not pale in comparison with the BMW. It's different. It's like saying that a New York steak pales to a Rib Eye. They are both good, but have a different texture and taste. The G37 feels a bit less refined with more engine and road noise. The BMW feels more refined, but I would not say the G37 is less of a car. And don't get me started on the Infotainment system. The Nissan system is years ahead of the BMW system when it comes to the UI and ease of use. If you don't believe me, go test drive an Infiniti. But overall I would still pick the BMW to own (which I did).
you think so? I drove a G37 sedan and felt that the nav and whatnot was very confusing, much more so than the I drive. And the touch screen seemed hit or miss. Maybe it's just one of those things you have to get use to. I actually really like the G's, especially the exhaust note! Even their FX35 SUV sounds better than the 335i lol.
      02-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
landau88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genek335 View Post
you beat me by 1 mile... i picked up my last 335 in 09 and it had 11 miles.. when i got on the highway and wanted to close the window, it activated non stop pinch protection, so everytime i pulled the close window switch either 1 click or 2, it would go up for a sec and then drop all the way down.. i held the switch to reset it but that didnt do anything. Gotta love BMWs baby
How did you fix that? I just picked up my CPO 07 335xi and my rear passenger window is stuck in the down position.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I went to pick up my brand new 335i Coupe on Saturday and no later than 2 miles down the road I noticed a squealing noise from the engine. It sounded like a loose fan belt, but it did not change tone with engine speed.

I took it right back and the service manager had a senior tech look at it. The noise stops when the oil filler cap is loosened. The tech though it might be the rear seal. They are taking a look at it today. Had anyone else experience this?

I can't believe that this passed quality control.
Welcome to the joys of 335i ownership! I have experienced it for myself.
Seriously though, i'm sure they'll sort the problem out and your car will give you many miles of fun.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i hear people say that.. in 2009, the next gen idrive came out. 2009 nav is far better than the super nintendo looking infiniti or 2008- systems.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Ringmaster1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 e92

Kinda makes you wonder what is done during "dealer prep" besides washing the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau88 View Post
How did you fix that? I just picked up my CPO 07 335xi and my rear passenger window is stuck in the down position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsprm69 View Post
didn't know anything about this.
if your window or sunroof gets stick or doesnt work or if you try to close it and it thinks you are pinching something, it will activate whats called "pinch protection". my sunroof stopped working so i put it in park, turned on the engine and help the tilt position of the sunroom button for 30 sec. it purged the system and restarted it - fixed. usually when you close your window and the wind is creating friction the window wont close because it thinks you have your hand in the gap...so you just do the same thing, hold the button (either up or down- i forgot) for 30 sec and it disables the pinch protection for the time being. helped me out many times - but not that first time when i pick up my car...every new car has this type of tech
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster1 View Post
Kinda makes you wonder what is done during "dealer prep" besides scratching the car.
I fixed it for you
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
I fixed it for you
are you high?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
are you high?
Dealer "prep" is just like asking them to add swirls to the paint of your new car.

What I don't understand is why all these posters put up with failures right after driving off the lot. Me? I'd be on the phone with BMWNA and have them put me in a loaner until they find me a new, new car.

Yes, warranty is for stuff that breaks but right out of the box is absurd and is indicative of a QA problem with that assembly.

You spend $10 on a toaster at Walmart and it breaks a week later. You take it back instead of sending it off for repair.

You spend $50k on a car, it breaks in a few miles and you get it fixed.

Am I the only one who doesn't "get it?"

Last edited by ceb; 02-28-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
are you high?
Actually, I'm in Colorado Springs this week. That's pretty high
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

Quote:
Dealer "prep" is just like asking them to add swirls to the paint of your new car.

What I don't understand is why all these posters put up with failures right after driving off the lot. Me? I'd be on the phone with BMWNA and have them put me in a loaner until they find me a new, new car.

Yes, warranty is for stuff that breaks but right out of the box is absurd and is indicative of a QA problem with that assembly.

You spend $10 on a toaster at Walmart and it breaks a week later. You take it back instead of sending it off for repair.

I'm with you as well.

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #21
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:

Yes you are. Everyone else knows that there is an economic law of diminishing returns. Because the toaster only costs a few dollars to produce and the value of the parts that have failed are less than the value of the labor to determine the failure of the toaster and repair it, it is less expensive for the manufacturer to just replace the toaster.

The $50K BMW costs $30K to manufacture, so when a component fails, even say a transmission or an engine, the cost to repair the vehicle is far less than that to manufacture a new one, so the car is repaired.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #22
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Yes you are. Everyone else knows that there is an economic law of diminishing returns. Because the toaster only costs a few dollars to produce and the value of the parts that have failed are less than the value of the labor to determine the failure of the toaster and repair it, it is less expensive for the manufacturer to just replace the toaster.

The $50K BMW costs $30K to manufacture, so when a component fails, even say a transmission or an engine, the cost to repair the vehicle is far less than that to manufacture a new one, so the car is repaired.
lol @ diminishing returns....

Everyone doesn't know that, and those who do don't talk about it or haven't thought about it since undergrad/grad programs...or they are trying to impress people online with their vernacular.

If you are content with a new car breaking down, I guess you are the fool. Everyone else knows that.

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0