BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #45
nycboy
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 coupe, 2013 X5, 2015 X5

Just had my rear air bags and compressor replaced at an indy shop (specializing in foreign cars), about $4k I was told. I will pick up in a bit and will find out the total cost!

Need to do my own repairs to avoid these out of whack prices!
      07-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #46
james92se
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 S Drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycboy View Post
Just had my rear air bags and compressor replaced at an indy shop (specializing in foreign cars), about $4k I was told. I will pick up in a bit and will find out the total cost!

Need to do my own repairs to avoid these out of whack prices!
Ouch
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #47
texastuna
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmansiddiqui95 View Post
Attachment 2625518

Also, Im sure the module is not burnt on the system dealer is just trying to replace every component unnecessarily. Just get it towed back home and get to work. I can post pictures of all tools to complete tasks also it's easiest to replace the compressor if the car is already down and change the relay and fuse all at once. relay is found at all auto zones very basic. 4 Bolts 5 Screws and 4 tabs for the under-tray, then 2 screws for the airline then 3 bolts to remove the compressor assembly, and another 3 to remove the compressor from the assembly. Make sure the fuse is removed before uninstall. No need to jack up the car maybe 2 people will help since the compressor is a little heavy for one hand install but still doable. I bought the compressor on amazon SWSD brand. Labor time for this job at a shop should be 3 hours according to my indy shop. But when you do it once it's quite a quick job.
Hi Omar,

I have had a very similar experience to yours.

My X5 had the air bags replaced 4 weeks ago to arnott ($800), and when I went over a big bump they dropped again. I took it back to the Indy and they said new compressor needed because it’s trying to pull more voltage than required (40 versus 16 normal or something). The compressor still turns on and when I replace fuses it will come on but then burn the fuses eventually. I ordered a relay and it comes in Monday, I’m hoping that will help since it helped yours. Is this swap as simple as the fuse? Just plug and play after disconnecting battery?

Also, I haven’t gotten the chassis error so I have not changed beads or cleaned vent valve. Do you think I need a new compressor if relay doesn’t solve issue? If so has the aftermarket one worked well for you?

Thanks,

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 01:33 AM   #48
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastuna View Post
Hi Omar,

I have had a very similar experience to yours.

My X5 had the air bags replaced 4 weeks ago to arnott ($800), and when I went over a big bump they dropped again. I took it back to the Indy and they said new compressor needed because it’s trying to pull more voltage than required (40 versus 16 normal or something). The compressor still turns on and when I replace fuses it will come on but then burn the fuses eventually. I ordered a relay and it comes in Monday, I’m hoping that will help since it helped yours. Is this swap as simple as the fuse? Just plug and play after disconnecting battery?

Also, I haven’t gotten the chassis error so I have not changed beads or cleaned vent valve. Do you think I need a new compressor if relay doesn’t solve issue? If so has the aftermarket one worked well for you?

Thanks,

Daniel
Okay, so the first thing to check is when you hit the bumps do both sides go flat? if so then the second step is to change the relay its a green little box right next to the fuses in the trunk. Just unclip and pull it. That should fix your problem but if it doesn't, you most likely just need to service the compressor and valve. If that does not fix it completely then the new compressor is 259$ from amazon and its's "swsd" brand. So far after doing steps 1 and 2 on my x5, I have not had the issue again and I still have not changed my compressor even though I have it already just in case. I would recommend after doing those steps to order the compressor and keep it on the side just in case a year later the issue happens, that way you can install it right away. If you need help locating the relay I can post pictures. the last thing after you put a new relay in is to lock the car and wait a little while or an hour to let the system reset and it will air up once you unlock the car and then test drive it over hard roads. Since your fuses keep getting blown. The only way to say you need the compressor changed 100% is after you install the new relay. Pretty much diagnosis step by step. Also no need to disconnect the battery for this. Name:  IMG_1269etfd.jpg
Views: 6134
Size:  125.0 KB

Last edited by F15_SGM; 07-25-2021 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #49
texastuna
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so the first thing to check is when you hit the bumps do both sides go flat? if so then the second step is to change the relay its a green little box right next to the fuses in the trunk. Just unclip and pull it. That should fix your problem but if it doesn't, you most likely just need to service the compressor and valve. If that does not fix it completely then the new compressor is 259$ from amazon and its's "swsd" brand. So far after doing steps 1 and 2 on my x5, I have not had the issue again and I still have not changed my compressor even though I have it already just in case. I would recommend after doing those steps to order the compressor and keep it on the side just in case a year later the issue happens, that way you can install it right away. If you need help locating the relay I can post pictures. the last thing after you put a new relay in is to lock the car and wait a little while or an hour to let the system reset and it will air up once you unlock the car and then test drive it over hard roads. Since your fuses keep getting blown. The only way to say you need the compressor changed 100% is after you install the new relay. Pretty much diagnosis step by step. Also no need to disconnect the battery for this. Attachment 2656782
Thanks Omar - The relay is coming in Tuesday and I will try it. I also ordered the beads but I will try relay only first. To answer your question: Yes, both sides dropped when going over bumps. When I install the new relay should I put in a new fuse as well at the same time when the car is off? And then wait 1 hour?

Sounds good on no battery disconnect for relay. Did you disconnect the battery when you did the decadent bead replacements? I am hoping to avoid jacking up the car and pulling out the compressor if I don’t have to (no chassis error)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 11:21 PM   #50
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Omar - The relay is coming in Tuesday and I will try it. I also ordered the beads but I will try relay only first. To answer your question: Yes, both sides dropped when going over bumps. When I install the new relay should I put in a new fuse as well at the same time when the car is off? And then wait 1 hour?

Sounds good on no battery disconnect for relay. Did you disconnect the battery when you did the decadent bead replacements? I am hoping to avoid jacking up the car and pulling out the compressor if I don’t have to (no chassis error)
As long as the fuse is not blown currently then no need to replace it again. Also, you don't have to remove the battery to change the beads but you will have to remove the 40amp fuse to stop the power to it instead, also make sure you service the solenoid valve on the compressor if you change beads since the real problem is the solenoid valve since it gets jammed. Last thing if you do service the compressor due to relay doesn't fix the issue then make sure you get the car to air out on both side bags than start the removal of the compressor.
      07-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #51
texastuna
Rep

Quote:
As long as the fuse is not blown currently then no need to replace it again. Also, you don't have to remove the battery to change the beads but you will have to remove the 40amp fuse to stop the power to it instead, also make sure you service the solenoid valve on the compressor if you change beads since the real problem is the solenoid valve since it gets jammed. Last thing if you do service the compressor due to relay doesn't fix the issue then make sure you get the car to air out on both side bags than start the removal of the compressor.
Got it! How do I make the car air out on both sides of the bags? Currently it is lower than normal but not completely at lowest point if that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:30 PM   #52
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:
Got it! How do I make the car air out on both sides of the bags? Currently it is lower than normal but not completely at lowest point if that makes sense
Yes, I know what you mean. As long as it's not fully aired up you should be fine. Just make sure you unscrew the airlines from the valve block on the compressor slowly to let the rest of the air escape. You can also post a picture of your current air suspension height on the forum. But hopefully, your relay will do the trick.
      07-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #53
texastuna
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean. As long as it's not fully aired up you should be fine. Just make sure you unscrew the airlines from the valve block on the compressor slowly to let the rest of the air escape. You can also post a picture of your current air suspension height on the forum. But hopefully, your relay will do the trick.
Just wanted to give an update - I replaced relay today and put in a new fuse. I locked the car, waiting 20 minutes then unlocked and opened the door. The compressor began pumping air and went all the way up! So far so good. I did not even get to step #2 of opening compressor and replacing beads. Indy wanted 2k to repair they said my compressor was toast which I doubted. Thanks to all.

Omar, how long has yours held up so far with just the relay/bead replacement?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 04:31 PM   #54
Mavsfan
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 40e

Anyone in the Dallas area want to replace some rear air springs/bags with me?

My 2016 X5 is rear totally slammed on both sides. I have gotten it to rise up a bit, but then they deflate almost immediately. Hopefully that means the compressor is okay.

I'm far from a mechanic and don't even have a jack/lift. Happy to get my hands dirty though.

Last edited by Mavsfan; 12-18-2021 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #55
james92se
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 S Drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan View Post

My 2016 X5 is rear totally slammed on both sides. I have gotten it to rise up a bit, but then they deflate almost immediately. Hopefully that means the compressor is okay.

I'm far from a mechanic and don't even have a jack/lift. Happy to get my hands dirty though.
What part of Dallas are you in?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #56
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan View Post

It's easy to tell… look at your rear air springs and if it looks dry rooted, then that's your problem.

It's almost as if it were flaking. Look up pictures of dry rotted rubber. The attached is severa, but it can be any of those looks on that air spring 🤷🏽.

When you open your door, if your rear suspension is down, your compressor should kick in. If it doesn't kick in.. you turn your vehicle on and it doesn't kick in, then it's definitely your compressor or your rear sensors could be bad 🤷🏽.

Also, Mr.47 has a write up on all this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #57
Mavsfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92se View Post
What part of Dallas are you in?
Near Forest and Preston 75230

More info: I do have the Chassis Malfunction warning. I checked the 40A fuse (#110), and it looked fine. I don't think my vehicle came with a jack (at least it's not in the trunk). I guess I should go get one.
With the rears being all the way down and no jack, I can't really see what the bags look like.

I ordered a pair of Arnott A-2642s which should be here by Wednesday. I am wondering if I should order a new compressor as well so I have it on hand for install just in case?

Last edited by Mavsfan; 12-19-2021 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #58
Mavsfan
Rep

I needed an oil change and some AC service anyway, so I ended up taking mine into an Indy shop that I've used before.

Luckily, when I turned the car on this morning, the compressor and bags both worked so it was a comfortable ride.

They confirmed the bags were bad and quoted $875 for replacement. Since I don't have a jack, I told them to go ahead with the work.

If it drops again, I'll follow Osman's steps for replacing the relay and servicing the compressor/desiccant/valve.

Thanks for the earlier replies.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 08:01 AM   #59
Wetcoaster
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cadillac CTS-V, GMC 3500HD, R

Quote:
Attachment 2625518

Also, Im sure the module is not burnt on the system dealer is just trying to replace every component unnecessarily. Just get it towed back home and get to work. I can post pictures of all tools to complete tasks also it's easiest to replace the compressor if the car is already down and change the relay and fuse all at once. relay is found at all auto zones very basic. 4 Bolts 5 Screws and 4 tabs for the under-tray, then 2 screws for the airline then 3 bolts to remove the compressor assembly, and another 3 to remove the compressor from the assembly. Make sure the fuse is removed before uninstall. No need to jack up the car maybe 2 people will help since the compressor is a little heavy for one hand install but still doable. I bought the compressor on amazon SWSD brand. Labor time for this job at a shop should be 3 hours according to my indy shop. But when you do it once it's quite a quick job.
Do you happen to have a picture of the top of the relay for reference?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #60
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Got mine at Autozone duralast 20843 and comes with a lifetime warranty via Autozone.
[attach]Name:  Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 11.10.10 PM.png
Views: 2277
Size:  323.4 KB[
/attach]Name:  IMG_1269etfd.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  125.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcoaster View Post
do you happen to have a picture of the top of the relay for reference?
Attached Images

Last edited by F15_SGM; 04-22-2022 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 03:08 AM   #61
Exdirectory
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15_SGM View Post
Okay, so the first thing to check is when you hit the bumps do both sides go flat? if so then the second step is to change the relay its a green little box right next to the fuses in the trunk. Just unclip and pull it. That should fix your problem but if it doesn't, you most likely just need to service the compressor and valve. If that does not fix it completely then the new compressor is 259$ from amazon and its's "swsd" brand. So far after doing steps 1 and 2 on my x5, I have not had the issue again and I still have not changed my compressor even though I have it already just in case. I would recommend after doing those steps to order the compressor and keep it on the side just in case a year later the issue happens, that way you can install it right away. If you need help locating the relay I can post pictures. the last thing after you put a new relay in is to lock the car and wait a little while or an hour to let the system reset and it will air up once you unlock the car and then test drive it over hard roads. Since your fuses keep getting blown. The only way to say you need the compressor changed 100% is after you install the new relay. Pretty much diagnosis step by step. Also no need to disconnect the battery for this.
Thanks for this. Just woke up this morning to find my rear suspension is down on both sides, i did have to replace both bags a couple of months ago, I got the arnot ones.

My question is, I can hear the compressor running but it does not inflate, is it still worth trying the relay? I tried removing the 40amp 110 fuse with car on and off and had no affect.

Am not mechanically minded but also like to avoid the kind of costs mentioned on this post for taking to a garage!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 05:38 PM   #62
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdirectory View Post
Thanks for this. Just woke up this morning to find my rear suspension is down on both sides, i did have to replace both bags a couple of months ago, I got the arnot ones.

My question is, I can hear the compressor running but it does not inflate, is it still worth trying the relay? I tried removing the 40amp 110 fuse with car on and off and had no affect.

Am not mechanically minded but also like to avoid the kind of costs mentioned on this post for taking to a garage!!
FWIW, I'm in a similar situation (bags were replaced about a year ago and both sides are ~50mm low) and the relay didn't fix it. With ISTA I can deflate & inflate the bags, but inflating is very slow. Also had a slow inflate error code. Getting ready to swap out the compressor. I suspect a valve on the compressor assembly is malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 06:12 PM   #63
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:

If you hear the compressor running then the relay is OK. Keep your costs down by having a very competent specialist address the failure.
      06-09-2023, 08:55 PM   #64
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
FWIW, I'm in a similar situation (bags were replaced about a year ago and both sides are ~50mm low) and the relay didn't fix it. With ISTA I can deflate & inflate the bags, but inflating is very slow. Also had a slow inflate error code. Getting ready to swap out the compressor. I suspect a valve on the compressor assembly is malfunctioning.
Personally having a shop look at it is going to be the most expensive option. Yes i understand the goal is to get the car back on the road. The system is extremely simple and diagnosis via ista+ is not needed as it will complicate it. I had a fully trashed out compressor and i still serviced the 2nd time perfectly and its been over 60K + miles and has been flawless. I still have a brand new spare as i ordered it but never ended up using it. I believe every part in the compressor can be serviced. Just takes time and needs to be properly done. The valve is what's causing this as it mostly likely jammed or stuck on open position, usually it's in the process of seizing.
I also don't think any aftermarket compressor will be as good as an oem one. if it can be saved i'd do that.
After you do disconnect compressor install new relay upon reinstall.

Last edited by F15_SGM; 06-10-2023 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 09:00 PM   #65
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:

Order new beads on amazon swap those and take the valve out with pliers and hose it down in WD-40 the special version not regular and than insert it back in and spin it in circles with pliers and pull it in and out for a while until its perfect. Keep hosing the shaft area with WD-40 through out the process. As for Beads put similar amount back in but don't over pack it as it will fail again as that happened to me first time i did it. Don't try swapping the parts with new ones as only the one thats on there will work same goes for the valve block.

fyi WD40 Wear mask or don't breath in as doesn't smell good.

Last edited by F15_SGM; 06-10-2023 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 03:22 AM   #66
Exdirectory
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Thanks for these replies. Have had my local mechanic check it out and he has confirmed he thinks it is the compressor, no obvious leaks etc and I tried new relay pulling 40A fuse to no avail.

Have ordered up an Aerosus compressor, £300 (UK) delivered express. Reviews of this company really only complain about delivery not quality so am hopeful will arrive in next day or so. I will ask to keep the old compressor and then look to service it in case the new one is not great quality.

Will post here further news. Great thread.
Appreciate 0