E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > v-power diesel

05-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535d F10, x1 2.5d F48, x3 3.0d

v-power diesel

hi guys just wondering if anyone has uses V-power diesel in there cars and notice any performance increase and MPG increase. I tend to just fill the car with shell fuel and then after 4 fills of normal fuel i use v-power. ANyone notice any difference in fuel. My e39 i noticed a huge difference in economy i could so extra 120miles easy on v-power and acceleration was much smoother.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I always use v-power unleaded in mine makes a massive difference. My van is a vw diesel and to be honest can’t really tell between shell normal & v-power diesels they are both very high quality fuels. Total excellium is also very good (for my van best results for mileage) and alot cheaper to.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I gave V Power a go and yes the car felt faster but I didn't see any difference in mpg. TBH for 10p per litre your better off using the normal diesel and keeping the cash for wine/beer. It's not like the car is slow in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535d F10, x1 2.5d F48, x3 3.0d

vpower keeps the injector clean so i might jus keep the same fill up that i did with my e39.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

Shell V Power Diesel and V Power Unleaded are quite different fuels, in more than just the obvious way!

In my old car (petrol) it was smoother running and felt more "eager" with V Power (or previously Super) Unleaded than 95RON fuel, and returned maybe 2-3 MPG better economy. After 8-odd years of V Power and 85,000 miles the general cleanliness of the engine was commented on by mechanics working on the car.

In the 330D, I see WORSE fuel economy running on V Power Diesel (maybe 2 MPG worse, not massive), which I've heard explained as the diesel is a mix of GTL (gas-to-liquid reformed) and "regular" diesel, which is slightly less energy-dense than plain "regular" diesel. It's also supposed to be cleaner burning (better for the DPF / engine oil / crankcase?) and may keep the fuel injectors clean.

I see significantly BETTER fuel economy (at least 5 MPG better than V Power Diesel) from BP Ultimate Diesel (at a big price markup though, not sure if I break even), and a large perceived increase in power.

I have no evidence either way that BP or Shells claims for their premium diesel being "cleaner" are true, perhaps I've not had the BMW long enough. That said, I can't say I've ever noticed DPF regeneration (I assume it has in 17K miles, but I have no way of knowing other than the "symptoms" of caramel / burning smell, hot "ticking" exhaust, drop in fuel economy etc. )

My conclusion was that premium diesels are different to premium petrols, and the 330D seems to prefer BP Ultimate (typical expensive tastes . Your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
interesting I got the reverse with my 335D. BP ultimate dropped a couple of mpg but shells top drop increased by 0.5 to 1 mpg

total excellence diesel was my preferred choice after trying them all.

I will say that the BP ultimate made the engine feel a tad stronger and certainly smoother, maybe I was keener to use that oomph and that's why the MPG dropped.

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by red355 View Post
I will say that the BP ultimate made the engine feel a tad stronger and certainly smoother, maybe I was keener to use that oomph and that's why the MPG dropped.
Yep, that's one of many reasons why it's difficult to perform a scientific (or even a quick) test - also fuel formulations can change from summer to winter, intake air temperature & humidity can change (you need air to burn that fuel), a full tank weighs significantly more than an nearly empty one, modern petrol engines with knock sensors will change the ignition timing with different RON fuel, etc. etc.

Either you trust the manufacturer, or you just have to experiment a bit and find a fuel the car seems to "like" and that you can afford!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

am i the only one to get very poor fuel comsumption from v power? the cars feels much faster and smoother but i only get 200 miles to a tank where as normal shell gives around 300.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

I also find i get slightly worse MPG with V-Power although the car does feel better. Best for MPG for me is regular shell diesel with a dose of Millers.
Appreciate 0