F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil level sensor issues
Extreme Powerhouse

02-27-2024, 07:20 AM   #1
rallas
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Oil level sensor issues

Just did an oil change and only drained about 5-1/4 quarts. Days before the oil change I checked oil level and it still registered full. I check oil level with almost every tank of gas and never saw the level drop from full. I would expect oil level to read something other than full when almost 2qts low. I thought it should let you know when you are 1 quart low?

I am planning on changing out the oil level sensor at my nect oil change. Wish I just did it now since I have one sitting in my BMW parts bin. I have a bunch of contingency parts ready to go since I am almost at 100k miles on my 16 435i.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 10:58 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
How much new oil did it take when you refilled? When I change the oil on my N55 I usually pour in 6 quarts and then warm it up and check the level. It’s usually about 1/2 quart low so I just add that much out of a 7th quart bottle.

My Oil Level Sensor has already been replaced once. It was okay for a short time but now gives oil low warnings almost every time that I start the car. When I check the level it’s always full. Various ground connections were checked because that reportedly can cause this symptom. No ground problems found. So now I’m replacing the oil level sensor again.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 12:12 PM   #3
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallas View Post
Just did an oil change and only drained about 5-1/4 quarts. Days before the oil change I checked oil level and it still registered full. I check oil level with almost every tank of gas and never saw the level drop from full. I would expect oil level to read something other than full when almost 2qts low. I thought it should let you know when you are 1 quart low?

I am planning on changing out the oil level sensor at my nect oil change. Wish I just did it now since I have one sitting in my BMW parts bin. I have a bunch of contingency parts ready to go since I am almost at 100k miles on my 16 435i.
Presumably you don't wanna swap the sensor because it'll pour oil right? Why not hook a shop vac over the oil fill hole, then when you remove the sensor it'll create a vacuum stopping any from pouring.. I do it every time when I change oil, create suction, crack the drain plug loose and remove it, then just turn the vac off and prepare to catch the oil. It saves me getting splattered whilst trying to remove the plug.
      03-01-2024, 04:15 PM   #4
rallas
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

I have never thought of that trick!
Appreciate 0