E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RB cap review and RB cap/Valve install

12-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #45
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali 335
Cool. Thxx. The tmap sensor Is locate on the chargepipe just before the throttle body right?

How often do you need to clean it? Do you just spray it and wipe off ?
There's another tmap sensor on top of the intake mani. It's easy to get to, make sure you clean that one also.
      01-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #46
Cali 335
Rep
Drives: M/T 08' e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
There's another tmap sensor on top of the intake mani. It's easy to get to, make sure you clean that one also.
thanks for the tip bud
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #47
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Unable to get the RB cap in

Hi All,

Attached is the image of my RB cap. I'm having issues actually screwing it in. I'm being very careful and trying not to over-tighten it, but it doesn't seem to go in anymore than it has now. Any ideas?

http://1drv.ms/1DpyI7V

Thanks,
John
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #48
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Is the pcv valve fully seated? If not that could be the interference. Shoot an email over if you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #49
YRAGAEL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6sp.

The cap is indeed a work of art, but I had the same problem - the cap would thread in straight, but 'tighten up' at the same point shown in the photo above. I didn't want to give it too much force and potentially ruin my intake manifold, so I'm still running the plastic one, which threads in with no issues (so we know the valve is in straight).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #50
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hey guys.

This is the first we have heard of this. Wish you would've emailed as we don't test fit each unit, so perhaps there was/is some batch issue. Apparently we need to test fit what we have to ensure they are all good. If you would be so kind as let us know when you ordered as well, hopefully not as of late because we just had like a hundred or so made...

You two and any other who may have the same issue send them back and we will get you out another that is test fitted.

Sorry about the inconvenience, thought our machine shop had the production on this unit rock solid by now but apparently not.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #51
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Is the pcv valve fully seated? If not that could be the interference. Shoot an email over if you'd like.
I'm almost positive it is full seated. I'll find sometime to take the cover off and everything.

It shouldn't be an issue right now would it?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #52
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeah View Post
I'm almost positive it is full seated. I'll find sometime to take the cover off and everything.

It shouldn't be an issue right now would it?
Considering the guy above you has the same issue, it is worth assuming there could be some issue with the machining. I don't know, as no one has ever said anything until this thread bump.

When did you purchase?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #53
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys.

This is the first we have heard of this. Wish you would've emailed as we don't test fit each unit, so perhaps there was/is some batch issue. Apparently we need to test fit what we have to ensure they are all good. If you would be so kind as let us know when you ordered as well, hopefully not as of late because we just had like a hundred or so made...

You two and any other who may have the same issue send them back and we will get you out another that is test fitted.

Sorry about the inconvenience, thought our machine shop had the production on this unit rock solid by now but apparently not.

Thanks,
Rob
Thought it was more of an install issue, since I doubt it could have been a fitment issue.

I bought it from you over a year ago, but I did not touch the PCV Valve myself until recently when I had walnut shell blasting done.

I just checked it was December of 2013 and I e-mailed you.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #54
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thought it was more of an install issue, since I doubt it could have been a fitment issue.

I bought it from you over a year ago, but I did not touch the PCV Valve myself until recently when I had walnut shell blasting done.
Hmmm. Well I can't imagine having a full year of sales and all problems without a single email…

I'd say we are either looking at a blem'd unit (or some #), something install related, or a quite of few quiet consumers lol…

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #55
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Mine looked like that and it was because I had not seated it correctly. I didn't realize it until I went to install it and it wouldn't screw on all the way. After I took it back off and made sure it was on all the way, it installed fine. Mine was purchased probably around the same time as yours, maybe January 2014.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #56
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm. Well I can't imagine having a full year of sales and all problems without a single email…

I'd say we are either looking at a blem'd unit (or some #), something install related, or a quite of few quiet consumers lol…

Rob
Which is why I initially thought it could be an install error, so I took it out and tried to put it back in (per robc's DIY instructions) and could only get as far as the shop did before.

Do you think you might be able to send out a test fitted unit for me? I can pay for the part, it's no big deal. I just hope the PCV plastic part is not cross threaded already.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #57
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Mine looked like that and it was because I had not seated it correctly. I didn't realize it until I went to install it and it wouldn't screw on all the way. After I took it back off and made sure it was on all the way, it installed fine. Mine was purchased probably around the same time as yours, maybe January 2014.
I'll try to check again today to make sure it's full seated. :/
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #58
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just test fitted 5 random units from our latest batch. All perfection.

If you guys believe your unit is incorrectly designed, send it back and we will get you another.

I do not want to rule out that we had a "bad batch" somewhere along the line, but its the first we have heard of anything if we did.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #59
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/3171/7ohv.jpg

hey rob i just realized when i installed my valve back in september i used the oem plastic cap, i shaved some of those 4 plastic tabs shown in the first pic of your cap down to get the pcv to fit in the oem cap, i have to pull it out when the snow clears but how bad would it be if there was no space between the pcv and the cap? meaning i cant remember if i cut the tabs off altogether.
thanks

Last edited by mike082802; 02-02-2015 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #60
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Nice!!! Will be doing both of these soon!
      02-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #61
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just test fitted 5 random units from our latest batch. All perfection.

If you guys believe your unit is incorrectly designed, send it back and we will get you another.

I do not want to rule out that we had a "bad batch" somewhere along the line, but its the first we have heard of anything if we did.

Thanks,
Rob
Update: I had Ivan M. at Strasse Sport at Covina, CA check the install for me.

1. Ivan unscrewed everything, took the RB PCV valve out too.
2. He tried to put the cap in with the O-ring without the valve and felt the same resistance. Took the cap back out.
3. He took the O-ring off and was able to put the cap fully in, it felt really snug though. At least that verified nothing was cross-threaded and he could feel the resistance. Then took the cap back out.
4. He then fully seated the RB PCV valve in first, tightly.
5. He then put the O-ring back on and was able to put the cap completely in and the thread was definitely not stripped.

Sorry for the false alarm, but if anything, the RB cap is a very snug part. :P Figured I would give everyone a heads up.

Thanks for the DIY robc and Rob Beck for your attention!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #62
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
http://imageshack.us/a/img197/3171/7ohv.jpg

hey rob i just realized when i installed my valve back in september i used the oem plastic cap, i shaved some of those 4 plastic tabs shown in the first pic of your cap down to get the pcv to fit in the oem cap, i have to pull it out when the snow clears but how bad would it be if there was no space between the pcv and the cap? meaning i cant remember if i cut the tabs off altogether.
thanks
Yeah, now that is not unheard of… every so often the plastic cap needs a minor "leading edge trim" as the molded plastic is not very consistent. 5 seconds and some wire snips and its done if this applies to you. As for your question there should not be any space between the cap edge and the PCV, it snugs together in unison as tightened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
Nice!!! Will be doing both of these soon!
Let me know. They are in stock.

Quote:
Update: I had Ivan M. at Strasse Sport at Covina, CA check the install for me.

1. Ivan unscrewed everything, took the RB PCV valve out too.
2. He tried to put the cap in with the O-ring without the valve and felt the same resistance. Took the cap back out.
3. He took the O-ring off and was able to put the cap fully in, it felt really snug though. At least that verified nothing was cross-threaded and he could feel the resistance. Then took the cap back out.
4. He then fully seated the RB PCV valve in first, tightly.
5. He then put the O-ring back on and was able to put the cap completely in and the thread was definitely not stripped.

Sorry for the false alarm, but if anything, the RB cap is a very snug part. :P Figured I would give everyone a heads up.

Thanks for the DIY robc and Rob Beck for your attention!
Cool. Glad it worked out… scared me for a minute

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #63
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

you see how in the second pic i posted those 4 tabs raise the pcv by naybe an 1/8 of an inch? mine might sit flush, i might have cut them completely off. is that bad?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #64
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
you see how in the second pic i posted those 4 tabs raise the pcv by naybe an 1/8 of an inch? mine might sit flush, i might have cut them completely off. is that bad?
Oh, I see what you are saying. I really do not think it would be an issue. The valve fits in there pretty tight as is and pressure from the intake only pushes it in tighter. Ultimately there is nothing really pushing it out, so it should be fine… but it would be best to have it "held" securely IMO. Shoot me an email if you'd like to just get a new cap to not have the concern anymore.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 03:05 AM   #65
paraplan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Stock valves have varying performance... some will allow too much blowby and accelerate intake tract mucking-up (technical term).

RB's valve in my car has essentially made my OCC unnecessary- it doesn't fill even slightly with oil now, even over several months.
I was under the same impression when I installed RB's valve and OCC. The OCC was never catching any oil and I thought it is useless after the PCV upgrade... until I had to replace the valve cover gusket. I disassembled the breathing tube and left it on my table overnight. In the morning I found significant amount of oil on the table. Guess what, that oil never reached the OCC and was accumulating in the tube! I guess the OCC is installed higher (or the tube runs higher) than the PCV/valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 03:12 AM   #66
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Considering the guy above you has the same issue, it is worth assuming there could be some issue with the machining. I don't know, as no one has ever said anything until this thread bump.

When did you purchase?
Hi Rob, Just saw this. Wanted to let you know we tried putting mine on a few months ago and had the same issue. I forget what we did, maybe used a little sealant to keep the cap on there after we tried with the o-ring for about an hour (Adam/Clem who has installed some sets of your turbos before, including mine, in Maryland). I ordered mine a long time ago, and just tried to put it on when changing to a new valve cover kit from ECS Tuning. If the cap was $80 + $5 shipping then my order was on 3/4/2014, Reference Number: RB00268. Maybe that helps narrow down a batch that may or may not have an issue?

I really have no way to take it off right now. I will try ordering a new one the next time I get some maintenance done (maybe in the summer of '15).

Thanks,
Scott
Appreciate 0