F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Lease Question
proTUNING Freaks

02-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
LAwolverine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cannondale

Lease Question

At the time that I leased my car, I was commuting 60 miles a day so I went for 15k miles per year just to be safe. 9 months ago, I switched jobs and moved closer to my job where my commute now is no more than 4 miles round trip. I have about a year and a half left on my lease.

I've spoken to my service adviser and he basically told me that i was SOL, but i wanted to ask you guys if you've been in a similar situation and if you had any solutions. I know I can swap my lease (which is something I've been considering), however I'm more interested in whether or not BMW will offer any incentives if I turn in my car with with my mileage well below what I'm paying for.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwolverine View Post
At the time that I leased my car, I was commuting 60 miles a day so I went for 15k miles per year just to be safe. 9 months ago, I switched jobs and moved closer to my job where my commute now is no more than 4 miles round trip. I have about a year and a half left on my lease.

I've spoken to my service adviser and he basically told me that i was SOL, but i wanted to ask you guys if you've been in a similar situation and if you had any solutions. I know I can swap my lease (which is something I've been considering), however I'm more interested in whether or not BMW will offer any incentives if I turn in my car with with my mileage well below what I'm paying for.
BMW offers a small incentive at the end of the lease. You should check with your CA but I was told it was either $200 or $300 if you have at least 10% of your total unused miles. I had a 10K annual mileage limit on my previous car and they told me if I brought it back with 27K or less I would get that amount. I think there was a higher incentiveif you used less than 80% and then an even higher incentive for 70%. It's not much and I suspect you are looking for a way to save more.

You may also check to see if a dealer wants to buy your car at the end of the lease if they can make money on it but I suspect it's a low probability unless you really drive very little.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 04:52 AM   #3
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

In theory your residual is based on you driving 15K annual miles. So if you come in under that by a significant margin, then your car would be worth more than the residual.

I had clients who drove 10K miles a year, but contracted @ 15K miles a year since it gave them a better chance of being able to trade out earlier since they assume they are ahead of the depreciation curve.
Appreciate 0