F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Help With Window Tinting
Studio RSR

04-22-2022, 11:03 AM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
2-3 times cooler eh, so in Florida that keeps your car what, at 30F?
I had a ceramic tint put on my 530e. Yesterday I played golf and parked in the outside parking lot. I did put up a window screen and cracked open the sun roof. five plus hours later I returned to the car. The outside temperature was 96 Fahrenheit. I started the car, turned the AC on max, and drove off. About five minutes later, about 5 miles later, I realized I was freezing and turned off the max AC.

So the ceramic tint does, IMO, help.

Steve

PS I know I could have cooled the car with my phone app but I was talking to my friends about our next plans and forget to do it until I was almost at the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:39 PM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I had a ceramic tint put on my 530e. Yesterday I played golf and parked in the outside parking lot. I did put up a window screen and cracked open the sun roof. five plus hours later I returned to the car. The outside temperature was 96 Fahrenheit. I started the car, turned the AC on max, and drove off. About five minutes later, about 5 miles later, I realized I was freezing and turned off the max AC.

So the ceramic tint does, IMO, help.

Steve

PS I know I could have cooled the car with my phone app but I was talking to my friends about our next plans and forget to do it until I was almost at the car.
That’s exactly how “regular” tint works.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 05:14 PM   #25
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandie View Post
Hello!

I am new to Bimmerpost and recently bought a new 2022 BMW X5 45e. I live in South Florida and soon the summer heat and humidity will be upon us. But, even now, with temps in the low 80's and the sun beating down, I can feel the heat coming through the front windows.

So, I've decided it would be best to get the driver and front passenger windows professionally tinted, but after a bit of research, I have questions that remain unanswered and need some advise from those of you in the know.

FYI...In Florida, the tinting law is as follows: The front side windows must have a VLT of at least 28% and the back-side windows must have a VLT of at least 15%. I want to abide by those specs and not risk a ticket and/or having to remove after market tint.

1. Does anyone know what the factory tint is on the rear passenger windows and the front windows?

2. What percentage tint would you recommend for the front windows? I want to keep the tint legal. I am concerned about a dark tint that would make driving at night difficult, even though matching the front window tint to the rear might be more aesthetic.

3. Would you recommend a 'Standard' Tint or Ceramic or something else, and does the brand of tint matter? I'm thinking Ceramic, as I've read that that is 2-3 times better at keeping the heat out, but I'm not sure. I do know that Ceramic will cost more, but I want to do this right.

4. Should I go to an independent window tint shop or just have the Dealer do it? My guess is that the Dealer subs it out, but I would also think that it would make them totally responsible/reliable if there were any issues down the road.

ANY guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ;-)
Did you pull the trigger on tint?

If not and you're still shopping, here's some advice.

Not all ceramic is created equal. The word ceramic has turned into a film industry buzz word. If you want to know whether the film is a capable ceramic, look to see how much IR heat it rejects. Should be at least 50% of total IR energy reduced. The better films can get up into the 80% range in total IR energy reduced. Some film makers specify only selective IR energy and those figures are usually well over 80% and into the 90% range. Just find a film that reduces IR energy more than 50% and it's a decent film. Avoid films that do not reduce IR or have no written specification to reduce IR more than 50%.

And, call around and find a shop with a plotter. The plotter will machine cut your film and as long as they have a quality plotter and up to date software, it will make fantastic cuts, way better than any razor blade can do. Plus no razors on your glass and rubber moldings to potentially damage your car.

Focus on shops that do a lot of PPF as those shops pretty much all have quality plotters and software. And make sure they use it on your window film job because sometimes the guys get lazy and they hand cut when you aren't looking.

As far as brands and products are concerned, there's a lot of good stuff on the market if you stick with quality brands. Eastman manufactured films are generally good quality (Suntek, Llumar, FormulaOne - a Llumar product designed for dealers who want a higher end product they can sell for more $). Also, Xpel and 3M make good films. There's others too but I prefer to stick with the names and reputations I know. Look at them. Look at them on a piece of glass. Some of the ceramics are more reflective than others so look out for color, reflectivity, etc...

And, if your eyes aren't great in the dark, don't go too dark in VLT or you'll regret it.
      04-24-2022, 11:18 PM   #26
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Ask other people with tint how they like their percentages.
I did my F33 with 20% sides and back and front windshield at 70%. Too dark at night. Lol.
I did my F39 with 35% sides and 70% front windshield. Perfect for my area.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #27
cscracchi
Rep
Drives: G20

I live in FL and have only had 20% with no police issues since the mid 90's. On my F30 had Llumar Pinnacle 15 (which is really 19%). 9 years 130K miles and it looked as good as new the day I sold it and bought a G20. Putting the same tint on the G20. Call around on pricing I was quoted between $400 to $850 with front strip. Going with the $400 guy because he did it 9 years ago and is still in business. Advance film in Lutz, just north of Tampa
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:15 PM   #28
Ditlow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

I'm in Florida. I would have a good independent shop do it, not the dealer.

I was convinced by my shop to do 20% sides/back and a 70% windshield. I'd probably do 15% next time and stick with a 70% windshield - I don't find it to be really not that much darker than a 80% but I would go no lower than that, personally.

Windshield tint has made a huge difference in heat, even if you go with a low percentage like 80%.
Appreciate 1