F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HU-entry lost bluetooth and USB
Studio RSR

04-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
bluey6600
Rep
Drives: F30 320i M Sport Estoril Blue

Unhappy HU-entry lost bluetooth and USB

All,

I've searched on the archives and only seen one other situation like this. UK car, 2012, F30 320i with HU-entry (so basic headunit without nav). Early car so no commbox in the boot, and the USB (centre console only) and Bluetooth are integrated in it. Headunit is VD1058C6003456, 6512 9290992 - entry CD DAB with Bluetooth.

About a week ago it suddenly showed the blue spinning wait cursor when going into telephone, and discovered that couldn't read from USB either. Going into the update software for the USB/Bluetooth and looking for the current version loaded it would no longer give a version number - and couldn't update/read from the USB in the same menu.

I have a copy of the ISTA+ diagnostics so used that to look at the error codes - none are showing on the headunit component. (I have fitted an amp and have the harness going to the boot, but took this off and still had the same issue so eliminated the wiring as an issue).

Bit stumped on this - don't want to go to main dealer as likely to cost a few hundred as they won't know what to do, out of warranty now, so will charge a lot of hours and then just recommend a new head unit. I suspect that something has gone in the head unit such as a capacitor/resistor on the bluetooth/usb circuit to cause this.

So opinions for either Uk based vehicle electronics repairer to look at headunit, whether a second hand one from ebay of the same version would work or if coded to the cars (if so can they be recoded and keep the car service history?) or whether upgrade to a newer headunit with nav on it etc (not that bothered about it really as lot of money for a bigger screen and use tomtom for traffic on smartphone).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0