F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tracking Issue
Studio RSR

11-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
VenomUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport

Tracking Issue

I recently hit a pot hole and put a bulge in the side of my tyre wall, I've had the tyre replaced and the tracking given the once over. It was out but I didn't use BMW as they don't offer 'tracking' they do a 'full wheel alignment'.. Either way the independent that I used to replace the tyre and adjust the tracking done so but couldn't do the whole job as the camber adjustment is something they haven't seen before? Something to do with the swivel bearing or something like that.

Now seeing as most of the tracking is back in apart from the FNS camber is still out BMW still want to charge me £180+ for a 'full wheel alignment'... All I want is the camber adjusted to bring it back within spec.

Can anyone suggest an independent that you may have used in the past to have your tracking/wheel alignment done please? £180 sounds WAY over the odd for this kind of job? I have active suspension too if that's any help?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I have used an independent and BMW dealer, both were pants!

You need to use somewhere with a Hunter wheel alignment machine, you can find one near you on here: http://www.alignmycar.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:12 AM   #3
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Adjusting camber isn't easy as there isn't any adjustable component for it. I had a similar issue to you and it turned out to be a damaged bolt attaching the lower wishbone. This was an easy 20 minute job to replace (on the driveway) but took a reasonable amount of fault finding - replacement suspension parts also aren't cheap either. Also I wouldn't recommended DIY unless you are comfortable working on the car yourself.

I had the tracking checked before and after at a kwik fit with the Hunter kit (great piece of kit). They also don't charge you for this. They also pointed out that it wasn't possible to adjust the camber as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 04:23 AM   #4
VenomUK
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info there. Where should I turn too now? The info I was handed by the independent was a print out with the following.

"Front camber adjustment is preformed only with the replacement of the swivel bearing. The swivel bearing may only be replaced if the camber is outside the specified tolerance after the front toe is adjusted."

"Necessary preliminary tasks:
adjust front toe,
check camber values; if necessary, replace swivel bearing with over or under-dimension variant."

That's all I've been given. I'm meeting with BMW as I asked for this to be checked before and on their records they advised me that it didn't need doing and now 3months on and a chewed up tyre I'm now finding out that there was a problem all along.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

The swivel bearing as they term it is integrated in the lower wishbone - it comes as an assembly.

If you want to PM me the details of your car I'll look up the required parts for you. If you remove it all the associated fasteners should be changed at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
VenomUK
Private First Class
Rep

Quick Update...

Went and had BMW look it over and after doing a wheel alignment to then tell me that the same wheel which I said was out was infact out. They then told me that it was a little worse than that... About £1500 worse!!

They did show me the damage, but basically the strut had dropped down in the hub assembly from the impact of a pot hole. Recommended that I got a new strut, hub and possibly a new brake calliper (don't know why I need a new caliper) plus various such as bolts etc.

They have since tried to put the strut back into its original place and then do the alignment again which I was also charged for.. So two alignments totaling £425.80 and then possibly a further £1500 if the strut slips down again.

I'm not happy with the service I have received by Cotswold BMW or the state of the UK roads around my area!!
Appreciate 0