E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help!!! e93 roof problem.***** Resolved

07-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #23
osunick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000 w/oem hardtop

I have a different issue but may as well pile on where the expertise lies. In the last day or so my E93 has needed a second press on the button to latch the header, otherwise it would just pause with no sign of mechanical activity. Today it wouldn't latch at all. I let it sit for a bit and then it latched. Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #24
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by osunick View Post
I have a different issue but may as well pile on where the expertise lies. In the last day or so my E93 has needed a second press on the button to latch the header, otherwise it would just pause with no sign of mechanical activity. Today it wouldn't latch at all. I let it sit for a bit and then it latched. Ideas?
My e93 would pause in 4 stages. It was stuck in transport mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #25
osunick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000 w/oem hardtop

Solved it, it was the microswitch that is in the receiver on the left side of the windshield header. The spring on the switch had fallen off/broken and so the system wasn't receiving any data on when the roof prongs had entered the receiver, hence the slamming with no latching.

This video was super helpful, I just have a few notes:
  1. The a pillar trim needs to be detached at the top. Pull inward towards the center and they will unclip.
  2. Remove both visors. The inner clips for the visors have covers over the screw. Take a soft tool and push in on the dimples while levering out to open them.
  3. There are a bunch of spring washers and a two piece conical washer at the top. The stack is much easier to insert if both pieces of the top washer are removed and set on top of the stack as you insert.
  4. Micro-switch part number is 54-37-7-188-595 and should be around $60. My indy wanted to charge $800 for diagnosis (minimum charge).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #26
MarkTNe93
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 328i

My wifes e93 top got stuck while closing a few months back. i managed to close it manually, gently, and got it home. the error code was about the fogging sensor. i replaced the fogging sensor and now get a green light when operating the roof opening button, but no action from the top and yet no error codes. any ideas? any way to reset the roof system? thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 01:31 PM   #27
biitts
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible

Top opening. Overlooking the obvious.

Per NasVegas. This happened to me after storing my e93 and carelessly placing the manual! Thanks for your post.
The other thing -- make sure your owners manual isn't in the left or right side of your trunk area. It'll cause this same symptom (and annoying dents to the top C pillars and roof).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 03:44 PM   #28
pbinmich
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E93

Zero dollar fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
The trunk lid won't close because the roof assembly isn't going all the way down. The issue isn't the lid, rather the roof not being able to go down all the way. There is either something in the way or an issue with the mechanics.

You said when you "help" it that tends to work. I would be very careful about forcing that roof because you could make it worse.

I know this is a stupidly obvious suggestion but make sure your trunk is empty, including around the sides.

Have someone lower the top for you while you inspect it and see if you could see any irregularities.
This just happened to me....your comment triggered something, while putting groceries in the trunk I'd moved a book into the side areas (where it says don't put anything)...forgot about it. Yep, top wasn't closing all the way, therefore the trunk lid wouldn't go down.

I felt such a great relief when I remembered - moved it and voila! works again...was searching lots of info on how the roof works
Appreciate 1