F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Positive Camber. Adjustable?
proTUNING Freaks

10-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
iks-10
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Positive Camber. Adjustable?

I'm changing my tyres and have noticed increased wear on the outer part of the driver's side front tyre. I assume this is due to positive camber.
I will get an alignment check done but if it is a camber issue, how do I resolve this since I see many people saying that camber can't be adjusted on an f32.
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:26 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It shouldn't have positive camber, they have something like 30' (0.5 degree) negative as standard. Maybe not as much a some would like. But it is a fixed value on the front with no camber adjustment available.

Aftermarket options include:

Fitting M4 arms roughly minus 60'

Camber adjustable plates

Off centre bushes
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #3
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Wear on one edge of the front tyres is usually toe-in - which is the only adjustment available.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:01 AM   #4
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by iks-10 View Post
I'm changing my tyres and have noticed increased wear on the outer part of the driver's side front tyre. I assume this is due to positive camber.
I will get an alignment check done but if it is a camber issue, how do I resolve this since I see many people saying that camber can't be adjusted on an f32.
Thanks in advance
i recently had my alignment done, here was my before and after, this should help you work out what the values should be

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:13 AM   #5
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Please could you define how much of the 'outer part' is affected. Also do you run Run Flat tyres?

If its just a few inches of the outer wall, you're likely running your pressures too low. This leads to the tyre running on the sidewall more than the centre tread.

Even with moderate 2-3degree camber, it will not significantly affect tyre wear. Toe on its own will not wear the outer tyre.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:23 AM   #6
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

The simple answer is to go get an alignment. Suspension geometry is to complicated to just assume 1 parameter is off in a cause and effect type way. Go spend $100 to get the data to make an informed decision. If its a toe issue theyll fix it right there. If data says camber then you have some of the options already listed here.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:38 AM   #7
iks-10
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Thanks guys. Yeah I guess it's more likely toe in causing the uneven wear. These tyres are run-flats but I've bought MPS4S and just need to get them fitted. I'll get the alignment done professionally after that anyway. The pressures have all been checked regularly and topped up when needed so I don't that that was the issue. Likely just a pothole that knocked the driver's tyre in perhaps.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
Toe on its own will not wear the outer tyre.
It will
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Please could you define how much of the 'outer part' is affected. Also do you run Run Flat tyres?

If its just a few inches of the outer wall, you're likely running your pressures too low. This leads to the tyre running on the sidewall more than the centre tread.

Even with moderate 2-3degree camber, it will not significantly affect tyre wear. Toe on its own will not wear the outer tyre.
My car is running -1.75 degrees of camber on the front and I can assure you that it absolutely does affect tyre wear (inner 1/2 of the contact patch). It's one of the trade-offs : reduce understeer versus increased tyre wear.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
My car is running -1.75 degrees of camber on the front and I can assure you that it absolutely does affect tyre wear (inner 1/2 of the contact patch). It's one of the trade-offs : reduce understeer versus increased tyre wear.
Well that's odd... How come you're running that much -ve front camber? The wishbone bushes may not be able to cope which could be causing your wear - the unladen wheel could be dragged when cornering. My old Z4 and VX220 ran -2.5Deg (within spec) on the rear and the inners were only ever 0.5mm more worn at changeover time. Certainly not enough to be concerned about and you could visibly see the camber it was so significant.

Either way, everyone on this forum instantly jumps on 'Alignment' when anyone mentions tyre wear without double checking the facts which is frustrating. The OP described 'outer part' which i asked for clarification on.

Go to a BMW used section and just look at the amount of cars with outer tyre wear - most will have it. Shoulder wear on RFTs is caused by low pressures making the tyres wear more on the heavily supported sidewalls. This is why RFT's need more pressure than standard tyres and exhibit this issue with even slight under-pressurisation.

If a car has a geometry that is out enough to cause significant wear, you'd be able to eyeball it by looking down the length of the car - you can easily see 1 degree either way. If you've ruled out pressures and you cant see it, its likely knackered bushes - which will start to become an issue with the aging early F3* models.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well that's odd... How come you're running that much -ve front camber?
Because my car is running Millway Motorsport camber plates and -1.75 is exactly where I want them set.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Camber doesn't increase tire wear, it just focuses it on less of the tire. If you had 0 camber your tire would be just as worn just evenly across the entire tread.
      10-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Quote:
Camber doesn't increase tire wear, it just focuses it on less of the tire. If you had 0 camber your tire would be just as worn just evenly across the entire tread.
One if you is right, the other is wrong, and they're both the same person.
Appreciate 0